Donations

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
78 messages Options
1234
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Donations

Bret S. Lambert-2
> you come back as a cow
                     ^^^
I thought it was a toilet brush?

You just can't trust reincarnation this life.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Donations

Otto Moerbeek
On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 06:15:50PM +0100, Bret S. Lambert wrote:

> > you come back as a cow
>                      ^^^
> I thought it was a toilet brush?
>
> You just can't trust reincarnation this life.

In my former life I used to believe in reincarnation, but now I know
it's bullshit.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Donations

roberth-5
In reply to this post by mehma sarja
On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 08:42:00 -0800
Mehma Sarja <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's why Americans call cowburgers hamburgers, for fear of
> repercussions from the holy land. But seriously, re-incarnation takes
> care of all that. Meaning, if you kill a cow in this life, you come
> back as a cow and someone can kill you. It's the Indian version of an
> eye for an eye.

The percentage of people that (have to) kill their own food is so low
that nobody cares. Hamburgers are grown in the supermarket, hm'k?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Donations

Kevin Chadwick-2
In reply to this post by mehma sarja
On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 08:42:00 -0800
Mehma Sarja <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Meaning, if you kill a cow in this life, you come back
> as a cow and someone can kill you.

Time to start eating humans instead ;-)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Donations

SJP Lists
In reply to this post by mehma sarja
On 10 December 2010 03:42, Mehma Sarja <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/9/10 4:54 AM, Chandrakant Kumar wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday 09 December 2010 05:39 PM, Hugo Osvaldo Barrera wrote:
>>>
>>> On 05/12/10 23:04, Adam M. Dutko wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> I hope that one day due process is denied you.
>>>>>
>>>> I am wondering what type of due process should be granted to these
>>>> individuals.  What basis/jurisdiction of law are we talking about?
>>>>  Natural
>>>> human rights? US law? International Law?  I'm just wondering because I
>>>> think
>>>> it's critical to the whole discussion.  Julian Assange isn't a US
>>>> citizen so
>>>> the US Government probably feels justified doing whatever they want even
>>>> if
>>>> it is "unethical", yet many think he should be protected by some of the
>>>> US
>>>> justice code/process.  Is due process universal?
>>>>
>>>
>>> If I kill a cow, should I be deported to India, and processed there for
>>> that crime?  (Note that in most parts of india, it IS a crime).
>>> Oh, I live in Argentina, the largest exporter of cow-meat.  Maybe we
>>> should all be deported there.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hugo Osvaldo Barrera
>>>
>>>
>> We are waiting for you here in India ;)
>>
> That's why Americans call cowburgers hamburgers, for fear of repercussions
> from the holy land. But seriously, re-incarnation takes care of all that.
> Meaning, if you kill a cow in this life, you come back as a cow and someone
> can kill you. It's the Indian version of an eye for an eye.

Sarah Palin's coming back as a dung beetle then.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Donations

Miod Vallat
In reply to this post by Kevin Chadwick-2
> > Meaning, if you kill a cow in this life, you come back
> > as a cow and someone can kill you.
>
> Time to start eating humans instead ;-)
>
Please don't. It's difficult enough to get healthy young children for
breakfast those days, I don't need competition.

Miod

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Donations

roberth-5
On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 19:53:54 +0000
Miod Vallat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Meaning, if you kill a cow in this life, you come back
> > > as a cow and someone can kill you.
> >
> > Time to start eating humans instead ;-)
> >
> Please don't. It's difficult enough to get healthy young children for
> breakfast those days, I don't need competition.
>
> Miod

just grow your own, as healthy as you want them to be.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Donations

Ted Unangst-2
In reply to this post by Dmitrij D. Czarkoff-2
On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Untill one is found guilty by court, any public occusations against him are
> considered defamation (criminal activity on it's own).
>
> So, according to legal regulations PayPal's activity towards Wikileaks account
> should be brought to court as a defamation case.

Does publicly accusing Paypal of defamation before a trial finds
Paypal guilty count as defamation?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Donations

Leonardo Rodrigues
To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin (an american! diplomat!):

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both."

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Donations

Ted Unangst-2
Err, that's supposed to be essential liberty and temporary security.

Any society that *doesn't* give up at least a little liberty is anarchy and
Franklin was not, to my knowledge, an anarchist.

On Dec 10, 2010, at 8:19 AM, Leonardo Rodrigues <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin (an american! diplomat!):
>
> "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
> security will deserve neither and lose both."

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Donations

Stuart VanZee
> Err, that's supposed to be essential liberty and temporary security.
>
> Any society that *doesn't* give up at least a little liberty
> is anarchy and
> Franklin was not, to my knowledge, an anarchist.
>
> On Dec 10, 2010, at 8:19 AM, Leonardo Rodrigues
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin (an american! diplomat!):
> >
> > "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
> > security will deserve neither and lose both."
>
>

I would have to agree that the people of the United States have lost
some of their essential libertys.  The problem has been in defining what
exactly ARE the essential libertys and then getting our congress and our
president to keep their mitts off of them.  Still, I would argue that
even now there are few places in the world where the people can enjoy
liberty as freely as in the United States.

Additionally, for purposes of this thread, the Ben Franklin quote is a
complete straw-man.  Ben Franklin was talking about giving up of essential
liberty by allowing the government to take it away in exchange for some
promised security.  The origin of this thread has noting to do with a
government action and everything to do with an action by a private company
against another private company.

I suspect that more often than not when that particular Ben Franklin quote
comes out it is in an attempt by the quoter to feel superior to those he
is quoting to.  If that was the case, it was an epic fail in both not looking
up the quote to get the text right and not considering that the quote doesn't
fit the situation.

s

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Donations

Martin Schröder
2010/12/10 Stuart VanZee <[hidden email]>:
> I would have to agree that the people of the United States have lost
> some of their essential libertys.  The problem has been in defining what
> exactly ARE the essential libertys and then getting our congress and our
> president to keep their mitts off of them.  Still, I would argue that
> even now there are few places in the world where the people can enjoy
> liberty as freely as in the United States.

<cough>
- the citizens of Baghdad and Teheran can vote their representatives;
  the citizens of Washington, DC can not.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_D.C.#Federal_representation_and_ta
xation
- every us american citizen can be spied on or put away indefinitely
  without a court order just on the whim of the us president
- every us citizen is free to be unable to pay for the most basic
  medical services
</cough>

Seems to be a very liberal und justified system indeed. And please
don't tell the rest of the world what democracy is: Why did GWB become
president?

Best
   Martin

PS: Bonus: The united nations general assembly routinely appeals to
    all states to follow international law. Two states have always
    voted against that petition: Israel and the USA.
PPS: There is a consensus over the essential liberties:
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Declaration_of_Human_Rights

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Donations

Jasper Valentijn
In reply to this post by Leonardo Rodrigues
2010/12/10 Leonardo Rodrigues <[hidden email]>:
> To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin (an american! diplomat!):
>
> "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
> security will deserve neither and lose both."

Imho this Thomas Jefferson quote is better suited for the subject. ;-)

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue
of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks
and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people
of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent
their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more
dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power
should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it
properly belongs."


--
We spend the first twelve months of our children's lives teaching
them to walk and talk and the next twelve telling them to sit down and
shut up.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Donations

julf
Jasper,

> Imho this Thomas Jefferson quote is better suited for the subject. ;-)

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/jefferson/banks.asp

        Julf

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Donations

Jasper Valentijn
2010/12/12 Johan Helsingius <[hidden email]>:
> Jasper,
>
>> Imho this Thomas Jefferson quote is better suited for the subject. ;-)
>
> http://www.snopes.com/quotes/jefferson/banks.asp
>

This is my source:
<http://wiki.monticello.org/mediawiki/index.php/Private_Banks_(Quotation)>

--
We spend the first twelve months of our children's lives teaching
them to walk and talk and the next twelve telling them to sit down and
shut up.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Donations

julf
> This is my source:
> <http://wiki.monticello.org/mediawiki/index.php/Private_Banks_(Quotation)>

That states "This quotation is at least partly spurious" :)

        Julf

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Donations

Dmitrij D. Czarkoff-2
In reply to this post by Ted Unangst-2
On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Ted Unangst <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does publicly accusing Paypal of defamation before a trial finds
> Paypal guilty count as defamation?

It works for crimes with certain punishment margins. Accusing PayPal
of killing peaple, spying or frauding may be brought to court.
Accusing PayPal of stealing food from market, not dealing with due
process and etc - doesn't.

By the way, that may give You an image of importancy of due process in
modern legal systems - just between stealing a hamburger and stealing
a TV.

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Donations

Dmitrij D. Czarkoff-2
In reply to this post by Ted Unangst-2
On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Ted Unangst <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Err, that's supposed to be essential liberty and temporary security.
>
> Any society that *doesn't* give up at least a little liberty is anarchy and
> Franklin was not, to my knowledge, an anarchist.

It seems that You consider killing people on the street to be a part
of one's liberty that he trades for public order. A nice way to put to
preason everyone because it is a trade off for public, social or
whatever security. And to look even more authoritative, You may apply
a label "anarchist" to everyone who isn't going to march to prison on
his own.

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff

1234