Don't submit new ports at this point in time!

Don't submit new ports at this point in time!

Nikolay Sturm-2
Hey,

just a reminder to all the busy people porting applications atm and
sending their work to ports@. It's useless, it will be forgotten, don't
do it. At this point in time we are only concerned with bugfixes and
cleanup of the ports tree, so that 3.9 will be shipped with the best
possible ports tree.

If you don't test the ports you use NOW, we will not be able to fix that
bug you will encounter LATER.

If you send new ports or useless updates to ports, they will be
forgotten, so your work is wasted. Don't do it. Don't distract others
from testing what is in-tree by submitting more or less unfinished stuff.

The right thing to do, is to test what is in-tree, to report problems
you find, to send important updates for the ports you maintain/use and
to test, test, test again.

As I am not a complete asshole, I'll even add this: Please! :)

Nikolay

Re: Don't submit new ports at this point in time!

Hannah Schroeter
Hi!

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 01:14:43PM +0100, Nikolay Sturm wrote:
>just a reminder to all the busy people porting applications atm and
>sending their work to ports@. It's useless, it will be forgotten, don't
>do it. At this point in time we are only concerned with bugfixes and
>cleanup of the ports tree, so that 3.9 will be shipped with the best
>possible ports tree.

I'd still hope for one of the newer erlang ports to go in, as anything
is better than what's currently in tree. The in-tree port is just
utterly broken, even though it's not explicitely marked that way.

>[...]

Kind regards,

Hannah.

Re: Don't submit new ports at this point in time!

Robert Nagy
There are also new i386 snapshot packages on the FTP mirrors (20060206).
Please install, remove, update and do whatever you can with these packages,
and report any bad behaviour.

Thank you.