Domain redirections to Openbsd.org?

Wylie Bayes
Just curious if is a normal thing for folks to be redirecting their domain
to Openbsd.org, in turn keeping their domain name in their browsers but
ultimately getting Openbsd.org's content?

Such as:  http://nathanalexander.uk/ ?

Re: Domain redirections to Openbsd.org?

andrew fabbro
On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 8:13 AM, Wylie Bayes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just curious if is a normal thing for folks to be redirecting their domain
> to Openbsd.org, in turn keeping their domain name in their browsers but
> ultimately getting Openbsd.org's content?
>
> Such as:  http://nathanalexander.uk/ ?

I don't think that's a redirect.  It looks like the owner of that site
simply ripped the OpenBSD main page and placed it on his site.

At least he was thorough - images are served from his site and not via
hotlink.

As to normal thing...I'd say not.

andrew fabbro

Re: Domain redirections to Openbsd.org?

Aner Perez
No redirect and no ripping, he just added a DNS entry for nathanalexander.uk that points
to the IP address for openbsd.org (129.128.5.194).

On 05/18/2017 09:46 AM, andrew fabbro wrote:

> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 8:13 AM, Wylie Bayes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Just curious if is a normal thing for folks to be redirecting their domain
>> to Openbsd.org, in turn keeping their domain name in their browsers but
>> ultimately getting Openbsd.org's content?
>>
>> Such as:  http://nathanalexander.uk/ ?
>>

> I don't think that's a redirect.  It looks like the owner of that site
> simply ripped the OpenBSD main page and placed it on his site.
>
> At least he was thorough - images are served from his site and not via
> hotlink.
>
> As to normal thing...I'd say not.

Re: Domain redirections to Openbsd.org?

Wylie Bayes
Well the IP resolves to the same IP as openbsd.org.  Not sure how he's
retaining all the link structure when clicking around, but yeah i didn't
think it was normal, and figured it should be reported in some fashion.

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 7:46 AM andrew fabbro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 8:13 AM, Wylie Bayes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Just curious if is a normal thing for folks to be redirecting their domain
>> to Openbsd.org, in turn keeping their domain name in their browsers but
>> ultimately getting Openbsd.org's content?
>>
>> Such as:  http://nathanalexander.uk/ ?
>>

> I don't think that's a redirect.  It looks like the owner of that site
> simply ripped the OpenBSD main page and placed it on his site.
>
> At least he was thorough - images are served from his site and not via
> hotlink.
>
> As to normal thing...I'd say not.
>

> --
> andrew fabbro

Re: Domain redirections to Openbsd.org?

Solène Rapenne-2
Je 2017-05-18 15:51, Wylie Bayes skribis:
> Well the IP resolves to the same IP as openbsd.org.  Not sure how he's
> retaining all the link structure when clicking around, but yeah i
> didn't
> think it was normal, and figured it should be reported in some fashion.

on openbsd.org links are relative, so if you use another domain name to
access the page, the domain names is kept in the url.

Re: Domain redirections to Openbsd.org?

Paul de Weerd
On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 09:46:01AM -0400, andrew fabbro wrote:
| At least he was thorough - images are served from his site and not via
| hotlink.

Apart from the obvious DNS trick of pointing $DOMAIN to the same IP as
openbsd.org...

The website is in CVS .. just do a checkout and have a website pronto.
Hardly any magic to accomplish that feat.  Nothing to be thorough
about.

        cvs -q -d ${ANONCVS} get www

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/

On 2017-05-18, Aner Perez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> No redirect and no ripping, he just added a DNS entry for nathanalexander.uk that points
> to the IP address for openbsd.org (129.128.5.194).

That's very trusting. It wouldn't take much for the operator of
129.128.5.194 to provide some "alternative" content if that
Host header is used.