Does iocharset option be supported in OpenBSD mount?

Does iocharset option be supported in OpenBSD mount?

Armand Chen
Hi all :-)

After I switched to OpenBSD, there are still some data in my old NTFS
partition. I've made the NTFS support into kernel, and successfully
mounted the NTFS partision.

The problem is, some filename of the data is encoded other than
ISO8859-1. In other UNIX-like systems, I could use savior option like
this:

Code:

mount -t ntfs -r -o iocharset=<ENCODING> /dev/<DEVICEPARTITION> /mnt

But the iocharset seems not be supported in OpenBSD, because the system told me:

Code:

mount_ntfs: -o iocharset: option not supported

Does this option be unsupported or just there exists some tweaks whick
I don't know?

Thx you guys and hope there would be someone to give me some hints :-)

Re: Does iocharset option be supported in OpenBSD mount?

Miod Vallat
> After I switched to OpenBSD, there are still some data in my old NTFS
> partition. I've made the NTFS support into kernel, and successfully
> mounted the NTFS partision.
>
> The problem is, some filename of the data is encoded other than
> ISO8859-1. In other UNIX-like systems, I could use savior option like
> this:

[...]
> Does this option be unsupported or just there exists some tweaks whick
> I don't know?

At the moment, there is no way to specify a particular charset when
mounting filesystems. This is being worked on, however (at least for
cd9660, udf and ntfs filesystems).

Miod

Re: Does iocharset option be supported in OpenBSD mount?

Armand Chen
I see, thanks Miod :-)

2006/1/27, Miod Vallat <[hidden email]>:

> At the moment, there is no way to specify a particular charset when
> mounting filesystems. This is being worked on, however (at least for
> cd9660, udf and ntfs filesystems).
>
> Miod

Re: Does iocharset option be supported in OpenBSD mount?

Guido Tschakert
Armand Chen wrote:

> Hi all :-)
>
> After I switched to OpenBSD, there are still some data in my old NTFS
> partition. I've made the NTFS support into kernel, and successfully
> mounted the NTFS partision.
>
> The problem is, some filename of the data is encoded other than
> ISO8859-1. In other UNIX-like systems, I could use savior option like
> this:
>
> Code:
>
> mount -t ntfs -r -o iocharset=<ENCODING> /dev/<DEVICEPARTITION> /mnt
>

> But the iocharset seems not be supported in OpenBSD, because the system told me:
>
> Code:
>
> mount_ntfs: -o iocharset: option not supported
>

> Does this option be unsupported or just there exists some tweaks whick
> I don't know?
>
> Thx you guys and hope there would be someone to give me some hints :-)

Hi,

don't know if there's a port for openbsd but the tool convmv does
exactly what you want. Convert Filenames from one encoding to another
encoding.

guido