Does OpenBGPd suffer collateral damage with this?

Does OpenBGPd suffer collateral damage with this?

Rod Whitworth-3
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/how-flakey-is-the-inter
net-20140816-104t8p.html

I would love to hear that our beloved BGP routers are the only ones
that don't get screwed or at least we are one of the few.

I haven't heard any noises from the hosting site that I look after.

*** NOTE *** Please DO NOT CC me. I <am> subscribed to the list.
Mail to the sender address that does not originate at the list server is tarpitted. The reply-to: address is provided for those who feel compelled to reply off list. Thankyou.

Rod/
---
This life is not the real thing.
It is not even in Beta.
If it was, then OpenBSD would already have a man page for it.

Re: Does OpenBGPd suffer collateral damage with this?

patrick keshishian
On 8/17/14, Rod Whitworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/how-flakey-is-the-inter
> net-20140816-104t8p.html

Internal Server Error

Cannot serve request to
/content/desktop/smh/technology/technology-news/how-flakey-is-the-inter%0Anet-20140816-104t8p.html
on this server

--patrick

> I would love to hear that our beloved BGP routers are the only ones
> that don't get screwed or at least we are one of the few.
>
> I haven't heard any noises from the hosting site that I look after.
>

> *** NOTE *** Please DO NOT CC me. I <am> subscribed to the list.
> Mail to the sender address that does not originate at the list server is
> tarpitted. The reply-to: address is provided for those who feel compelled to
> reply off list. Thankyou.
>
> Rod/
> ---
> This life is not the real thing.
> It is not even in Beta.
> If it was, then OpenBSD would already have a man page for it.

Re: Does OpenBGPd suffer collateral damage with this?

Graeme Lee
The cause is Cisco routers with a max 512k entries in their FIB on some
older units.

http://www.bgpmon.net/what-caused-todays-internet-hiccup/

Graeme

On 18-Aug 10:27, Rod Whitworth wrote:

> http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/how-flakey-is-the-inter
> net-20140816-104t8p.html
>
> I would love to hear that our beloved BGP routers are the only ones
> that don't get screwed or at least we are one of the few.
>
> I haven't heard any noises from the hosting site that I look after.
>

> *** NOTE *** Please DO NOT CC me. I <am> subscribed to the list.
> Mail to the sender address that does not originate at the list server is tarpitted. The reply-to: address is provided for those who feel compelled to reply off list. Thankyou.
>
> Rod/
> ---
> This life is not the real thing.
> It is not even in Beta.
> If it was, then OpenBSD would already have a man page for it.

Re: Does OpenBGPd suffer collateral damage with this?

Tony Sarendal-2
What a horrible article. I thought the kebab I just had for lunch ruined my
day, reading that was worse.

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 2:27 AM, Rod Whitworth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/how-flakey-is-the-inter
> net-20140816-104t8p.html
>
> I would love to hear that our beloved BGP routers are the only ones
> that don't get screwed or at least we are one of the few.
>
> I haven't heard any noises from the hosting site that I look after.
>

> *** NOTE *** Please DO NOT CC me. I <am> subscribed to the list.
> Mail to the sender address that does not originate at the list server is
> tarpitted. The reply-to: address is provided for those who feel compelled
> to reply off list. Thankyou.
>
> Rod/
> ---
> This life is not the real thing.
> It is not even in Beta.
> If it was, then OpenBSD would already have a man page for it.

Re: Does OpenBGPd suffer collateral damage with this?

Matthias Appel

If this ruined your day, please refrain from reading further articles about
BGP.

If you want to experience _real_ pain, read
http://www.bgpmon.net/chinese-isp-hijacked-10-of-the-internet/

BR,

Matthias

Re: Does OpenBGPd suffer collateral damage with this?

Tony Sarendal-2
Let me clarify the reason I thought the article was horrible. Highlights:

"There are very few experts in this. It really is the deep magic,"
Unfortunately, as well as the 4.2 billion IP address limit, the internet is
bound by another arbitrary restriction: the 512,000 slots in the BGP grid.
"To fix it, they need to reboot the routers, and lots of them will be old
machines that have never been rebooted before, and sometimes when you
reboot something like that it doesn't switch back on again,"

Regards T

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Matthias Appel <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]

Peter Hessler
bad reporting.  film at 11.

Please don't reply.