Does Minecraft + Microsoft account on OpenBSD work?

Does Minecraft + Microsoft account on OpenBSD work?

Mark Hesselink
Hi,

Minecraft Java Edition can be easily installed on OpenBSD using the
games/minecraft port (see e.g. https://openports.se/games/minecraft).
Before I buy the game, which at 17.95 GBP is reasonably priced IMHO, I
wanted to ask the OpenBSD community whether anyone has been able to get
the Minecraft port to work using a Microsoft account: Since 1 December
2020 one needs a Microsoft account to buy and play Minecraft Java Edition.

I have attempted to start the games/minecraft port in demo mode using
the instructions posted at https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Demo_mode:
Supposedly passing the --demo argument to minecraft.jar should launch
the demo. Assuming these instructions are correct, I have not been able
to log in to Minecraft using my Microsoft account despite registering
the account for a free trial.

Would anyone know the magic trick to play Minecraft Java Edition on
OpenBSD using a Microsoft account?

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Does Minecraft + Microsoft account on OpenBSD work?

Parodper
O 04/04/21 ás 16:34, Mark Hesselink escribiu:

> Hi,
>
> Minecraft Java Edition can be easily installed on OpenBSD using the
> games/minecraft port (see e.g. https://openports.se/games/minecraft).
> Before I buy the game, which at 17.95 GBP is reasonably priced IMHO, I
> wanted to ask the OpenBSD community whether anyone has been able to get
> the Minecraft port to work using a Microsoft account: Since 1 December
> 2020 one needs a Microsoft account to buy and play Minecraft Java Edition.
>
> I have attempted to start the games/minecraft port in demo mode using
> the instructions posted at https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Demo_mode:
> Supposedly passing the --demo argument to minecraft.jar should launch
> the demo. Assuming these instructions are correct, I have not been able
> to log in to Minecraft using my Microsoft account despite registering
> the account for a free trial.
>
> Would anyone know the magic trick to play Minecraft Java Edition on
> OpenBSD using a Microsoft account?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

I have an account with the paid game. For me it runs perfectly. However
there is a problem: this launcher is outdated. Now there is a new one
that runs from a native executable, and the Java one is deprecated. This
means that you can't run the newer versions (haven't tried it, but after
a bit of searching I can find complains from version 1.14.4).

And I can't find what are you saying about that «Demo mode page». It
clearly says that for launching the demo you only need to login as an
account without the game bought. The «--demo» option is for servers.

Re: Does Minecraft + Microsoft account on OpenBSD work?

Pamela Mosiejczuk-3

On 4/4/21 12:06 PM, Parodper wrote:

> O 04/04/21 ás 16:34, Mark Hesselink escribiu:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Minecraft Java Edition can be easily installed on OpenBSD using the
>> games/minecraft port (see e.g. https://openports.se/games/minecraft).
>> Before I buy the game, which at 17.95 GBP is reasonably priced IMHO,
>> I wanted to ask the OpenBSD community whether anyone has been able to
>> get the Minecraft port to work using a Microsoft account: Since 1
>> December 2020 one needs a Microsoft account to buy and play Minecraft
>> Java Edition.
>>
>> I have attempted to start the games/minecraft port in demo mode using
>> the instructions posted at
>> https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Demo_mode: Supposedly passing the
>> --demo argument to minecraft.jar should launch the demo. Assuming
>> these instructions are correct, I have not been able to log in to
>> Minecraft using my Microsoft account despite registering the account
>> for a free trial.
>>
>> Would anyone know the magic trick to play Minecraft Java Edition on
>> OpenBSD using a Microsoft account?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mark
>>

> I have an account with the paid game. For me it runs perfectly.
> However there is a problem: this launcher is outdated. Now there is a
> new one that runs from a native executable, and the Java one is
> deprecated. This means that you can't run the newer versions (haven't
> tried it, but after a bit of searching I can find complains from
> version 1.14.4).
>
> And I can't find what are you saying about that «Demo mode page». It
> clearly says that for launching the demo you only need to login as an
> account without the game bought. The «--demo» option is for servers.

To handle the newer versions we have games/multimc for a more
feature-rich launcher or you can tinker with
games/py-minecraft-launcher-lib (kmos@ has scripts for different
versions here: https://github.com/kmosiejczuk/minecraft-launchers). But
no, neither currently handles Microsoft accounts. I believe multimc
plans that for their 0.7 release.

-pamela

On 4/5/2021 3:49 AM, Pamela Mosiejczuk wrote:

> On 4/4/21 12:06 PM, Parodper wrote:
>> O 04/04/21 ás 16:34, Mark Hesselink escribiu:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Minecraft Java Edition can be easily installed on OpenBSD using the
>>> games/minecraft port (see e.g.
>>> https://openports.se/games/minecraft). Before I buy the game, which
>>> at 17.95 GBP is reasonably priced IMHO, I wanted to ask the OpenBSD
>>> community whether anyone has been able to get the Minecraft port to
>>> work using a Microsoft account: Since 1 December 2020 one needs a
>>> Microsoft account to buy and play Minecraft Java Edition.
>>>
>>> I have attempted to start the games/minecraft port in demo mode
>>> using the instructions posted at
>>> https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Demo_mode: Supposedly passing the
>>> --demo argument to minecraft.jar should launch the demo. Assuming
>>> these instructions are correct, I have not been able to log in to
>>> Minecraft using my Microsoft account despite registering the account
>>> for a free trial.
>>>
>>> Would anyone know the magic trick to play Minecraft Java Edition on
>>> OpenBSD using a Microsoft account?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>

>> I have an account with the paid game. For me it runs perfectly.
>> However there is a problem: this launcher is outdated. Now there is a
>> new one that runs from a native executable, and the Java one is
>> deprecated. This means that you can't run the newer versions (haven't
>> tried it, but after a bit of searching I can find complains from
>> version 1.14.4).
>>
>> And I can't find what are you saying about that «Demo mode page». It
>> clearly says that for launching the demo you only need to login as an
>> account without the game bought. The «--demo» option is for servers.
>>

> To handle the newer versions we have games/multimc for a more
> feature-rich launcher or you can tinker with
> games/py-minecraft-launcher-lib (kmos@ has scripts for different
> versions here: https://github.com/kmosiejczuk/minecraft-launchers).
> But no, neither currently handles Microsoft accounts. I believe
> multimc plans that for their 0.7 release.
>
> -pamela

Pamela, thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I will patiently
await the MultiMC release that support Microsoft accounts.

Cheers,

Mark