DigitalOcean's BSD debut is FreeBSD only

DigitalOcean's BSD debut is FreeBSD only

opendaddy
Hi,

It seems that DigitalOcean's BSD debut is going to be FreeBSD only. We, in the OpenBSD community, are being asked to open up a separate UserVoice vote for OpenBSD -- despite the fact that we've worked so hard to promote the existing one. So, please drop by and share your frustrations:

https://digitalocean.uservoice.com/forums/136585-digitalocean/suggestions/3232571-support-bsd-os -- I reckon around half the votes are from OpenBSD users.

Many thanks!

O.D.

Re: DigitalOcean's BSD debut is FreeBSD only

RichardET
What is digital ocean?

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems that DigitalOcean's BSD debut is going to be FreeBSD only. We, in the OpenBSD community, are being asked to open up a separate UserVoice vote for OpenBSD -- despite the fact that we've worked so hard to promote the existing one. So, please drop by and share your frustrations:
>
> https://digitalocean.uservoice.com/forums/136585-digitalocean/suggestions/3232571-support-bsd-os -- I reckon around half the votes are from OpenBSD users.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> O.D.

Re: DigitalOcean's BSD debut is FreeBSD only

John Long-4

Plonk.

Re: DigitalOcean's BSD debut is FreeBSD only

opendaddy
>What is digital ocean?

They're touted as the new rock stars of the hosting industry. Cheap SSD-enabled cloud hosting for your apps. You do have apps don't you?

O.D.

On 16. desember 2014 at 3:43 PM, "Richard E. Thornton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>What is digital ocean?
>

>On Tue, 16 Dec 2014, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems that DigitalOcean's BSD debut is going to be FreeBSD
>only. We, in the OpenBSD community, are being asked to open up a
>separate UserVoice vote for OpenBSD -- despite the fact that we've
>worked so hard to promote the existing one. So, please drop by and
>share your frustrations:
>>
>> https://digitalocean.uservoice.com/forums/136585-
>digitalocean/suggestions/3232571-support-bsd-os -- I reckon around
>half the votes are from OpenBSD users.
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>
>> O.D.

Re: DigitalOcean's BSD debut is FreeBSD only

Lars
On 16.12.2014 16:52, [hidden email] wrote:
>> What is digital ocean?
>
> They're touted as the new rock stars of the hosting industry.

Says who? Now it's digital ocean - next month it will be somebody else.

> Cheap
> SSD-enabled cloud hosting for your apps. You do have apps don't you?

I seem to fall out of the target group for this. As I don't share your
obvious enthusiasm and just don't care - so many rock stars rise and
fall.....

Lars

Re: DigitalOcean's BSD debut is FreeBSD only

jungle Boogie
Hi OD,
On 16 December 2014 at 07:10,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that DigitalOcean's BSD debut is going to be FreeBSD only. We, in the OpenBSD community, are being asked to open up a separate UserVoice vote for OpenBSD -- despite the fact that we've worked so hard to promote the existing one. So, please drop by and share your frustrations:

I have not personally tested openBSD on https://www.vultr.com/ but I
have read (tweets, probably) that it will work.

> https://digitalocean.uservoice.com/forums/136585-digitalocean/suggestions/3232571-support-bsd-os -- I reckon around half the votes are from OpenBSD users.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> O.D.

Best,
Jungle

--
-------
inum: 883510009027723
xmpp: [hidden email]

On 16.12.2014 17:25, jungle Boogie wrote:

> I have not personally tested openBSD on https://www.vultr.com/ but I
> have read (tweets, probably) that it will work.

There are quite a few of them. https://www.transip.eu/vps/ officially
support OpenBSD and FreeBSD. Also completely SSD enabled. It seems to be
just hype....

Lars

On 16. desember 2014 at 4:17 PM, "Lars" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Says who? Now it's digital ocean - next month it will be somebody
>else.
>
>I seem to fall out of the target group for this. As I don't share your
>obvious enthusiasm and just don't care - so many rock stars rise
>and fall.....

There's never been anyone as cheap, as well-designed and as quickly growing as DigitalOcean. Call them The Beatles, The Bob Marley and the Wailers or what have you. I wrote this thread for the people who do care, and I know a lot of you are lurking out there.

O.D.

Re: DigitalOcean's BSD debut is FreeBSD only

RichardET
So, its a cloud based server farm?  What's the point for the typical user?

I'm not so sure about Vultr. Icelandic Greenqloud (https://www.greenqloud.com/) are nice though.

O.D.

On 16. desember 2014 at 4:44 PM, "Lars" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>There are quite a few of them. https://www.transip.eu/vps/
>officially support OpenBSD and FreeBSD. Also completely SSD enabled. It seems
>to be just hype....

I quit using them after they refused to enable virtio for OpenBSD, despite having enabled it for FreeBSD.

O.D.

Re: DigitalOcean's BSD debut is FreeBSD only

Jorge Castillo
Thanks for sharing this. This is awesome, best news in all day. I was
using Debian but when this is ready, I will use FreeBSD. If you're a
student I invite you to join ( https://education.github.com/pack ),
you get $100 in DO credit.

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 8:10 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that DigitalOcean's BSD debut is going to be FreeBSD only. We, in the OpenBSD community, are being asked to open up a separate UserVoice vote for OpenBSD -- despite the fact that we've worked so hard to promote the existing one. So, please drop by and share your frustrations:
>
> https://digitalocean.uservoice.com/forums/136585-digitalocean/suggestions/3232571-support-bsd-os -- I reckon around half the votes are from OpenBSD users.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> O.D.

Re: DigitalOcean's BSD debut is FreeBSD only

Otto Moerbeek
On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 05:21:16PM +0000, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 16. desember 2014 at 4:44 PM, "Lars" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >There are quite a few of them. https://www.transip.eu/vps/
> >officially support OpenBSD and FreeBSD. Also completely SSD enabled. It seems
> >to be just hype....
>
> I quit using them after they refused to enable virtio for OpenBSD, despite having enabled it for FreeBSD.
>
> O.D.

That has changed, they now do support virtio.

        -Otto

Re: DigitalOcean's BSD debut is FreeBSD only

Thomas Schmidt
On 12/16/2014 06:18 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> There's never been anyone as cheap, as well-designed and as quickly
> growing as DigitalOcean.
Wanna bet? http://xkcd.com/1102

Re: DigitalOcean's BSD debut is FreeBSD only

Benjamin Scher Purcell
On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 05:20:27PM +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 16. desember 2014 at 4:20 PM, "jungle Boogie" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> >I have not personally tested openBSD on https://www.vultr.com/ but
> >I have read (tweets, probably) that it will work.
>
> I'm not so sure about Vultr. Icelandic Greenqloud
(https://www.greenqloud.com/) are nice though.

I personally use vultr for my OpenBSD vps. Their prices are reasonable,
you can install from any ISO, and I have never had a problem. Currently
hosting, my website, email, jabber server, and code repositories.

--
Benjamin Scher Purcell
PGP: CCB787BA

On 16. desember 2014 at 5:46 PM, "Richard E. Thornton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>So, its a cloud based server farm?  What's the point for the
>typical user?

I think the typical user will eventually realize that OpenBSD is one of the most valuable assets he or she can use in the pursuit of happiness and livelihood for ones family. Once that time comes, he or she will most definitely be looking for something like DigitalOcean.

Thanks.

O.D.

>On Tue, 16 Dec 2014, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 16. desember 2014 at 4:17 PM, "Lars" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> >Says who? Now it's digital ocean - next month it will be
>somebody
>> >else.
>> >
>> >I seem to fall out of the target group for this. As I don't
>share your
>> >obvious enthusiasm and just don't care - so many rock stars
>rise
>> >and fall.....
>>
>> There's never been anyone as cheap, as well-designed and as
>quickly growing as DigitalOcean. Call them The Beatles, The Bob
>Marley and the Wailers or what have you. I wrote this thread for
>the people who do care, and I know a lot of you are lurking out
>there.
>>
>> O.D.

Re: DigitalOcean's BSD debut is FreeBSD only

Josh Grosse
On 2014-12-16 12:58, [hidden email] wrote:

> ...Once that time comes, he or
> she will most definitely be looking for something like DigitalOcean.

Lest we forget ... this mailing list recently had a thread on security
implications for data-in=-motion on virtual machines of third party
providers.

http://marc.info/?t=141815045100002&r=1&w=2

---

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about DigitalOcean except that they
ignore my LART submissions to their abuse@ address.

Re: DigitalOcean's BSD debut is FreeBSD only

Gene-46
On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 11:25 PM, Richard E. Thornton <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, its a cloud based server farm?  What's the point for the typical user?

Inexpensive VPS hosting with fast storage. I have one of their small
instances (1 vCPU, 512 MB RAM, 20 GB storage) I'm paying $5/mo for.  I'm
pretty happy with it.

$ sudo dd if=/dev/vda of=/dev/null bs=1024k count=2048
2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out
2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 7.31609 s, 294 MB/s

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014, [hidden email] wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > On 16. desember 2014 at 4:17 PM, "Lars" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > >Says who? Now it's digital ocean - next month it will be somebody
> > >else.
> > >
> > >I seem to fall out of the target group for this. As I don't share your
> > >obvious enthusiasm and just don't care - so many rock stars rise
> > >and fall.....
> >
> > There's never been anyone as cheap, as well-designed and as quickly
> growing as DigitalOcean. Call them The Beatles, The Bob Marley and the
> Wailers or what have you. I wrote this thread for the people who do care,
> and I know a lot of you are lurking out there.
> >
> > O.D.

Re: DigitalOcean's BSD debut is FreeBSD only

Romain FABBRI - Alien Consulting
online.net is also a great cloud based server hosting service...

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 11:25 PM, Richard E. Thornton < [hidden email]> wrote:

> So, its a cloud based server farm?  What's the point for the typical user?

Inexpensive VPS hosting with fast storage. I have one of their small instances (1 vCPU, 512 MB RAM, 20 GB storage) I'm paying $5/mo for.  I'm pretty happy with it.

$ sudo dd if=/dev/vda of=/dev/null bs=1024k count=2048
2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out
2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 7.31609 s, 294 MB/s

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014, [hidden email] wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > On 16. desember 2014 at 4:17 PM, "Lars" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > >Says who? Now it's digital ocean - next month it will be somebody
> > >else.
> > >
> > >I seem to fall out of the target group for this. As I don't share
> > >your obvious enthusiasm and just don't care - so many rock stars
> > >rise and fall.....
> >
> > There's never been anyone as cheap, as well-designed and as quickly
> growing as DigitalOcean. Call them The Beatles, The Bob Marley and the
> Wailers or what have you. I wrote this thread for the people who do
> care, and I know a lot of you are lurking out there.
> >
> > O.D.

Re: DigitalOcean's BSD debut is FreeBSD only

Worik Stanton
On 17/12/14 05:25, jungle Boogie wrote:
> I have not personally tested openBSD on https://www.vultr.com/ but I
> have read (tweets, probably) that it will work.

I am doing so, twice.  Working well.  You can use a custom ISO, they do
not specifically enable OpenBSD.

I have a digital Ocean instance too, but they do not (last time I
checked) allow custom ISOs.

Worik

--
Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
       [hidden email] 021-1680650, (03) 4821804

123