DigitalOcean and OpenBSD

R0me0 ***
Hello everybody !

Please,

Anyone  already had a disk corruption running OpenBSD @ DigitalOcean with
disk encryption ?

I had this issue for the third time running OpenBSD 5.9 stable branch and a
simple "reboot" == No O/S

Thanks in advance,

Re: DigitalOcean and OpenBSD

lists-2
Wed, 24 Aug 2016 10:40:38 -0300 "R0me0 ***" <[hidden email]>

> Hello everybody !
>
> Please,
>
> Anyone  already had a disk corruption running OpenBSD @ DigitalOcean with
> disk encryption ?
>
> I had this issue for the third time running OpenBSD 5.9 stable branch and a
> simple "reboot" == No O/S
>

> Thanks in advance,

Hi R0me0,

You did not provide any sensible detail, so consider this guess work.
The rest of the feedback is your guess work, so consider this solved.

On a more helpful side, have you tried contacting their tech support?
Commercial providers are typically servicing offered products by SLA.

Kind regards,
Anton

Re: DigitalOcean and OpenBSD

R0me0 ***
Just asked if someone already faced this issue after a simple reboot

# reboot

Do you need a draw ?

KIND Regards,

> Wed, 24 Aug 2016 10:40:38 -0300 "R0me0 ***" <[hidden email]>
> > Hello everybody !
> >
> > Please,
> >
> > Anyone  already had a disk corruption running OpenBSD @ DigitalOcean with
> > disk encryption ?
> >
> > I had this issue for the third time running OpenBSD 5.9 stable branch
> and a
> > simple "reboot" == No O/S
> >

> > Thanks in advance,
> >

> Hi R0me0,
>
> You did not provide any sensible detail, so consider this guess work.
> The rest of the feedback is your guess work, so consider this solved.
>
> On a more helpful side, have you tried contacting their tech support?
> Commercial providers are typically servicing offered products by SLA.
>
> Kind regards,
> Anton

Re: DigitalOcean and OpenBSD

Gregor Best-2
On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 11:52:36AM -0300, R0me0 *** wrote:
> Just asked if someone already faced this issue after a simple reboot
>
> # reboot
>
> Do you need a draw ?
>
> KIND Regards,
> [...]

A dmesg would be nice. And maybe a less snarky attitude.

        Gregor

Re: DigitalOcean and OpenBSD

Daniel Ouellet
On 8/24/16 10:52 AM, R0me0 *** wrote:
> Just asked if someone already faced this issue after a simple reboot
>
> # reboot
>
> Do you need a draw ?
>
> KIND Regards,

OK here is an answer as good as your question.

Not so far. My son use Digital Ocean, only because they are cheap and he
put up with shit more then I do. Not that they are shit, but his word,
is "not the easier place to install and run quickly weird setup", but no
problem or crash so far. When he needs more serious space, EC2 is where
he goes.

So, no issue so far, but he also keep installing current on Digital
Ocean when/if he install it. No ne have a clue what you run there, so
why bother to answer you!

So, do you also " Do you need a draw ?"?

Peace,

Daniel

Re: DigitalOcean and OpenBSD

R0me0 ***
Ok, here is a reply for you and all other motherfuckers that think and
answer like you.

No so close, OpenBSD and EC2 just is running not more than one year. ( I
know very well EC2 )
Based on success history of OpenBSD and KVM in places like DigitalOcean and
others why not use a shit place to run a decent OS ? OK , Not control over
hardware there and all other stuff, and unfortunately this shits happens.
Did I ask you to open a ticket or guess what is happening or I asked if
someone faced ?  Big difference Humm? Do you need a draw ? I guess so !
 but I won't ,  Here answer who wants and a at least the silence its better
that write a holy fucking shift .

On 8/24/16 12:24 PM, R0me0 *** wrote:
> Ok, here is a reply for you and all other motherfuckers that think and
> answer like you.

Love you too.

But note that someone wanted to help you. Quote:

"A dmesg would be nice. And maybe a less snarky attitude."

As I said we have no clue what you run, version and all. How do you
frankly expect an answer?

Have a nice day.

Peace,

Daniel

PS: No, your mother told you we had a date last week? Holy shit... I
didn't remember that one....

Fwd: DigitalOcean and OpenBSD

Troy Frericks

Re: DigitalOcean and OpenBSD

R0me0 ***
Hey Troy, thank you for your reply

At this moment I am performing a dd over ssh.
I was able to check with recovery iso provided by DigitalOcean the
partition table of OpenBSD seems be there.

After that I will try to restore MBR. and hope a obsd boot :)

I will post the results.

> From: Troy Frericks <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 1:17 PM
> Subject: Re: DigitalOcean and OpenBSD
> To: Daniel Ouellet <[hidden email]>
>

> OpenBSD is not supported on/by DigitalOcean.
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awww.digitalocean.com+
> openbsd&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
>
> There are some tricks you can play... install FreeBSD, then put OpenBSD
> very carefully over it.
>
> http://www.tubsta.com/2015/04/openbsd-on-digital-ocean/
>
> You need to be careful of what you do. You can not backup the droplet and
> then restore it. There is something about what is stored on the first few
> tracks (I believe) of the disk that is not backed up nor restored... but if
> changed, can make the droplet unbootable.
>
> Suggest working from a hosting service that is OpenBSD friendly. You'll
> have an easier time things that manipulate the disk.
>
> Troy.
> #
>

> On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Daniel Ouellet <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On 8/24/16 12:24 PM, R0me0 *** wrote:
> > > Ok, here is a reply for you and all other motherfuckers that think and
> > > answer like you.
> >
> > Love you too.
> >
> > But note that someone wanted to help you. Quote:
> >
> > "A dmesg would be nice. And maybe a less snarky attitude."
> >
> > As I said we have no clue what you run, version and all. How do you
> > frankly expect an answer?
> >
> > Have a nice day.
> >
> > Peace,
> >
> > Daniel
> >
> > PS: No, your mother told you we had a date last week? Holy shit... I
> > didn't remember that one....

Re: DigitalOcean and OpenBSD

Martin Schröder
> You did not provide any sensible detail, so consider this guess work.

You're not helping.

Re: Fwd: DigitalOcean and OpenBSD

Daniel Ouellet
On 8/24/16 2:18 PM, Troy Frericks wrote:
> [...]

I never said it was.

What I wrote was:

"not the easier place to install and run quickly weird setup"

What part of this mean supported????

But you sure can do it. If you need instructions I can have the kid send
it in!

However you can't install directly from OpenBSD right away, need help
from linux and then have the bsd.rd, dd to drive and then it install
like normal. Gross summery above, but that's the idea anyway.

Re: DigitalOcean and OpenBSD

Vegar Linge Haaland
FWIW, I have been running snapshots/current with full disc encryption on
several machines on DigitalOcean for over a year. Never had any problems.
If you send a detailed description of how you installed OpenBSD and maybe
instructions on how to reproduce the problem you might get better responses.

- Vegar

Hey Adam,

I have had this issue for the third time in different regions on the last
30 days and my procedure was getting minirootfs like Tubsta procedure.

the only thing different was  get openbsd 5.9 stable branch, recompiled
kernel, rebooted and then recompiled userland tools and rebooted . ( Works
like a charm ) and as expected :P

Procedures from here https://www.openbsd.org/stable.html

But suddenly like today the same # reboot
I have NO O/S found .

That's it

> I have not run into any issues with reboots on my encrypted OpenBSD
> droplet on DO.
>
> It's running a 5.9 snapshot, not quite current.
>
> I followed the Tubsta instructions on getting it running.  But deviated
> since I wanted encryption just for fun.
>
> On Aug 24, 2016 9:42 AM, "R0me0 ***" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody !
>>
>> Please,
>>
>> Anyone  already had a disk corruption running OpenBSD @ DigitalOcean with
>> disk encryption ?
>>
>> I had this issue for the third time running OpenBSD 5.9 stable branch and
>> simple "reboot" == No O/S
>>

>> Thanks in advance,

Re: DigitalOcean and OpenBSD

lists-2
Wed, 24 Aug 2016 20:37:22 +0200 Martin Schröder <[hidden email]>
> > You did not provide any sensible detail, so consider this guess work.
>
> You're not helping.

Hi Martin,

Neither are you, of course, needless to say.  Because you just won't get
it.  OpenBSD worked anywhere I've tried before on any KVM set up cheaper
than on these toy virtual server offers.  You have to do it yourself, so
that you actually can support yourself.  There is "NO"body doing support
for you in these self service providers.  Not for peanuts monthly, add 5
bucks more and get a dedicated server, then choose bare metal or any KVM
and be done with it, eliminating entirely the weak spot: lame VPS offer.

This is why, the person in trouble can't get you any technical feedback,
because he can't get sensible feedback from the provider technical team.
The truth is: this is a misplaced support call, you can't help that guy.
Because the target audience for such providers are not technical people.

Read again, ask others, you will get pretty good picture of these facts.
You can help other guys by giving them an idea what actually would work.
Of course cut one sentence and start your interpretations, just perfect.
Well now, let me expand the sentence back again to what I actually said.

Yet one other way to proceed, would be to seek support from the provider
& be ready to pass tech info back and forth so OpenBSD help is possible.

Kind regards,
Anton

Re: DigitalOcean and OpenBSD

Martin Schröder
> Wed, 24 Aug 2016 20:37:22 +0200 Martin Schröder <[hidden email]>
>> You're not helping.
>>
> Neither are you, of course, needless to say.  Because you just won't get

Did you actually read his first mail? Do again and try to understand it.
Since you have no actual experience with DIgitalOcean and OpenBSD, you
should not have answered.

You don't have to prove that he is wrong, you know.

Re: DigitalOcean and OpenBSD

R0me0 ***
Hey Anton !

I didn't ask for support !  You are miss understanding ! If I need a
support from OpenBSD will be related with some kernel panic or something
related as I already reported in the past.
In my point of view, I could be wrong sorry if it the case,

I see a lot of people sharing experiences here in misc dot openbsd dot org
.

I always dig before ask . So you need be more smooth and as I said better
the silence through a useless shit . If you have a experience to share like
"Hey dude I already faced"  OK nice you welcome ! but if no, why you guys
are writing.

Come on dude grow up !

> Wed, 24 Aug 2016 20:37:22 +0200 Martin Schröder <[hidden email]>
> > > You did not provide any sensible detail, so consider this guess work.
> >
> > You're not helping.
> >

> Hi Martin,
>
> Neither are you, of course, needless to say.  Because you just won't get
> it.  OpenBSD worked anywhere I've tried before on any KVM set up cheaper
> than on these toy virtual server offers.  You have to do it yourself, so
> that you actually can support yourself.  There is "NO"body doing support
> for you in these self service providers.  Not for peanuts monthly, add 5
> bucks more and get a dedicated server, then choose bare metal or any KVM
> and be done with it, eliminating entirely the weak spot: lame VPS offer.
>
> This is why, the person in trouble can't get you any technical feedback,
> because he can't get sensible feedback from the provider technical team.
> The truth is: this is a misplaced support call, you can't help that guy.
> Because the target audience for such providers are not technical people.
>
> Read again, ask others, you will get pretty good picture of these facts.
> You can help other guys by giving them an idea what actually would work.
> Of course cut one sentence and start your interpretations, just perfect.
> Well now, let me expand the sentence back again to what I actually said.
>
> Yet one other way to proceed, would be to seek support from the provider
> & be ready to pass tech info back and forth so OpenBSD help is possible.
>
> Kind regards,
> Anton

Re: DigitalOcean and OpenBSD

R0me0 ***
Hey Cris

I don't think so, because everything was going very well. The OpenBSD there
just run a unbound , dnscrypt ( pkg_add )  and  ipsec vpn. I rebooted today
just for curiosity ( because I already faced ) and for my surprise happened
again.

I guess is something there as cited by @Troy

Resume: The Problem is not with OpenBSD but something on DigitalOcean.

Thank you man !

> R0me0 *** [[hidden email]] wrote:
> >
> > I have NO O/S found .
> >
> > That's it
> >

> Is it possible that the instructions you are using are incomplete and/or
> incompatible with the software ? Have you tried this on a standalone
> machine?

Re: DigitalOcean and OpenBSD

Pedro Tender-2
Not helping to the question but...

Regarding similar cheap vps service you could try vultr where one can
install a custom ISO and have a clean OpenBSD install without
pre-installing other OSes - from what I can see it makes everything a big
mess.
I run a 5.9 stable (updated since original 5.7 install) there without any
problems but I don't have HD encryption so I don't have any idea and can
only suppose it should work without problems being a clean install.
While installing with their webKVM I can only have my keyboard layout (PT)
working if I use MSWindows, nor OSX nor OpenBSD make correct keyboard
attribution (and I cannot remove X packages on install because I don't have
the - key anywhere). I don't know if other keyboards will have similar
problems.

Just wanted to share my experience so you could try alternatives if you
DOcean experience leaves you hanging.

On Aug 24, 2016 20:52, "R0me0 ***" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Adam,
>
> I have had this issue for the third time in different regions on the last
> 30 days and my procedure was getting minirootfs like Tubsta procedure.
>
> the only thing different was  get openbsd 5.9 stable branch, recompiled
> kernel, rebooted and then recompiled userland tools and rebooted . ( Works
> like a charm ) and as expected :P
>
> Procedures from here https://www.openbsd.org/stable.html
>
> But suddenly like today the same # reboot
> I have NO O/S found .
>
> That's it

> > I have not run into any issues with reboots on my encrypted OpenBSD
> > droplet on DO.
> >
> > It's running a 5.9 snapshot, not quite current.
> >
> > I followed the Tubsta instructions on getting it running.  But deviated
> > since I wanted encryption just for fun.
> >
> > On Aug 24, 2016 9:42 AM, "R0me0 ***" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello everybody !
> >>
> >> Please,
> >>
> >> Anyone  already had a disk corruption running OpenBSD @ DigitalOcean
> with
> >> disk encryption ?
> >>
> >> I had this issue for the third time running OpenBSD 5.9 stable branch
> and
> >> simple "reboot" == No O/S
> >>

> >> Thanks in advance,

Re: DigitalOcean and OpenBSD

lists-2
Wed, 24 Aug 2016 21:55:06 +0200 Martin Schröder <[hidden email]>
[...]
> You don't have to prove that he is wrong, you know.

Hi Martin,

I'm not trying to prove the original poster is right or wrong.  I want
to merely propose how not to get into the situation he said he's into.

The technical part would be, to download the virtual machine image and
run it locally, if the provider does not offer you a serial & console.

Seriously consider switching providers and manage it on real hardware,
or at least hardware which you control & have technical details about.

Kind regards,
Anton

Re: DigitalOcean and OpenBSD

R0me0 ***
Hello misc
Unfortunately even copying raw disk and writing it to a local vm,
Disklabel isn't able to "see" labels, the only thing is partitioning
scheme.

Thank you everyone that gime directions really appreciated ( all those in
pvt as well )

Cheers guys !

> > You did not provide any sensible detail, so consider this guess work.
>
> You're not helping.

123