Determining which patches a snapshot contains

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Determining which patches a snapshot contains

Jonathan Schleifer-3
Hi!

I'm wondering: If I upgrade to snapshots/sparc64/base66.tgz that is listed on ftp as
base66.tgz                                         24-Feb-2020 20:01           175147678
Will it include <https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/patches/6.6/common/021_smtpd_envelope.patch.sig>?

I saw that the patch added two new strings, and those seem to match (this is after upgrading):

# strings /usr/sbin/smtpd | grep 'has bad uid'
warn: smtpd: file %s has bad uid %d
# strings /usr/sbin/smtpd | grep 'has bad gid'
warn: smtpd: file %s has bad gid %d

As well as the change to using the full path to makemap:
# strings /usr/sbin/smtpctl | grep makemap
makemap
makemap
makemap
usage: makemap [-U] [-d dbtype] [-o dbfile] [-t type] file
/usr/sbin/makemap

So does this mean the patch is included, or were some parts of the patch already applied earlier and this is still incomplete? It looks like https://github.com/openbsd/src/commit/0228dab008714e5c4cb4c4fdb7e20836742f6fc9 contains all changes at once, so should I be good?

Thanks.

--
Jonathan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Determining which patches a snapshot contains

Theo de Raadt-2
You are asking questions beyond the promises we make about snapshots.

Sorry, no answer to your question.  Sorry if you think that is unfair.

Jonathan Schleifer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm wondering: If I upgrade to snapshots/sparc64/base66.tgz that is listed on ftp as
> base66.tgz                                         24-Feb-2020 20:01           175147678
> Will it include <https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/patches/6.6/common/021_smtpd_envelope.patch.sig>?
>
> I saw that the patch added two new strings, and those seem to match (this is after upgrading):
>
> # strings /usr/sbin/smtpd | grep 'has bad uid'
> warn: smtpd: file %s has bad uid %d
> # strings /usr/sbin/smtpd | grep 'has bad gid'
> warn: smtpd: file %s has bad gid %d
>
> As well as the change to using the full path to makemap:
> # strings /usr/sbin/smtpctl | grep makemap
> makemap
> makemap
> makemap
> usage: makemap [-U] [-d dbtype] [-o dbfile] [-t type] file
> /usr/sbin/makemap
>
> So does this mean the patch is included, or were some parts of the patch already applied earlier and this is still incomplete? It looks like https://github.com/openbsd/src/commit/0228dab008714e5c4cb4c4fdb7e20836742f6fc9 contains all changes at once, so should I be good?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Jonathan
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Determining which patches a snapshot contains

Jonathan Schleifer-3
Fair enough - I can understand you don't want to give any guarantees for snapshots.

I guess it's fair to assume that snapshots are only built from full commits and not partial commits? In this case then, I guess I should be fine.

--
Jonathan

> Am 25.02.2020 um 20:35 schrieb Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]>:
>
> You are asking questions beyond the promises we make about snapshots.
>
> Sorry, no answer to your question.  Sorry if you think that is unfair.
>
> Jonathan Schleifer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm wondering: If I upgrade to snapshots/sparc64/base66.tgz that is listed on ftp as
>> base66.tgz                                         24-Feb-2020 20:01           175147678
>> Will it include <https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/patches/6.6/common/021_smtpd_envelope.patch.sig>?
>>
>> I saw that the patch added two new strings, and those seem to match (this is after upgrading):
>>
>> # strings /usr/sbin/smtpd | grep 'has bad uid'
>> warn: smtpd: file %s has bad uid %d
>> # strings /usr/sbin/smtpd | grep 'has bad gid'
>> warn: smtpd: file %s has bad gid %d
>>
>> As well as the change to using the full path to makemap:
>> # strings /usr/sbin/smtpctl | grep makemap
>> makemap
>> makemap
>> makemap
>> usage: makemap [-U] [-d dbtype] [-o dbfile] [-t type] file
>> /usr/sbin/makemap
>>
>> So does this mean the patch is included, or were some parts of the patch already applied earlier and this is still incomplete? It looks like https://github.com/openbsd/src/commit/0228dab008714e5c4cb4c4fdb7e20836742f6fc9 contains all changes at once, so should I be good?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Jonathan
>>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Determining which patches a snapshot contains

Theo de Raadt-2
Jonathan Schleifer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fair enough - I can understand you don't want to give any guarantees for snapshots.
>
> I guess it's fair to assume that snapshots are only built from full commits and not partial commits? In this case then, I guess I should be fine.

The snapshot promise does not let you make that assumption.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Determining which patches a snapshot contains

Stuart Henderson
In reply to this post by Jonathan Schleifer-3
On 2020-02-25, Jonathan Schleifer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Fair enough - I can understand you don't want to give any guarantees for snapshots.
>
> I guess it's fair to assume that snapshots are only built from full commits and not partial commits? In this case then, I guess I should be fine.

Snapshots can be built with various uncommitted/WIP diffs, and you can
only tell approximately when the tree is from. If you want more guarantees
than this I would recommend following release(8).