Deleted everything in /

alan01346
I wasn't too concerned until I discovered the machine wouldn't boot,
comes up to ERR M or something like that.  I put a kernel and a copy
of boot in place from /usr/mdec but it still comes up and just says

I was half asleep and did rm tempdir /* when it should have been rm tempdir/*

I did this once years ago too.  All my stored FAQs are on the machine
I can't boot.

  Alan

Credit is the root of all evil.  - AB1JX

Re: Deleted everything in /

Chris Cappuccio
Alan Corey [[hidden email]] wrote:
> I wasn't too concerned until I discovered the machine wouldn't boot,
> comes up to ERR M or something like that.  I put a kernel and a copy
> of boot in place from /usr/mdec but it still comes up and just says

Yeah

> I was half asleep and did rm tempdir /* when it should have been rm tempdir/*

You're better off just using the fs or iso images from the 55 snapshot
directory and using the 'U'pgrade because you probably have a bunch
of other broken/missing stuff as well.

Re: Deleted everything in /

alan01346
I'm at 5.2. Booting from a 5.4 install image I mounted my / as /mnt
then my /usr as /mnt2. Then I did:

/mnt2/mdec/installboot -n -v /mnt/boot /mnt2/mdec/biosboot /dev/wd0c
and get: Bad system call

There's a /mnt/boot in place copied from /mnt2/mdec

On 3/5/14, Chris Cappuccio <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alan Corey [[hidden email]] wrote:
>> I wasn't too concerned until I discovered the machine wouldn't boot,
>> comes up to ERR M or something like that.  I put a kernel and a copy
>> of boot in place from /usr/mdec but it still comes up and just says
>>

> Yeah
>
>> I was half asleep and did rm tempdir /* when it should have been rm
>> tempdir/*
>>

> You're better off just using the fs or iso images from the 55 snapshot
> directory and using the 'U'pgrade because you probably have a bunch
> of other broken/missing stuff as well.

Credit is the root of all evil.  - AB1JX

Re: Deleted everything in /

Philip Guenther-2
On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 10:13 PM, Alan Corey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm at 5.2. Booting from a 5.4 install image I mounted my / as /mnt
> then my /usr as /mnt2. Then I did:
>
> /mnt2/mdec/installboot -n -v /mnt/boot /mnt2/mdec/biosboot /dev/wd0c
> and get: Bad system call
>
> There's a /mnt/boot in place copied from /mnt2/mdec

Since you ignored what Chris suggested, I'm not sure why you replied
to his message.

You have several options.  The three that are generally supported are:
1) use an install image that matches the running system (5.2) and just
fix your mistake,
2) use an install image from 5.3 or 5.4 and use the upgrade option to
upgrade, OR
3) re-install with the 5.5 snapshot

Those are tested.  If you don't understand why what you tried didn't
work, then you should USE THE TESTED PATHS.

Philip Guenther

Re: Deleted everything in /

Chris Cappuccio
Alan Corey [[hidden email]] wrote:
> I'm at 5.2. Booting from a 5.4 install image I mounted my / as /mnt
> then my /usr as /mnt2. Then I did:
>
> /mnt2/mdec/installboot -n -v /mnt/boot /mnt2/mdec/biosboot /dev/wd0c
> and get: Bad system call
>
> There's a /mnt/boot in place copied from /mnt2/mdec

You need to run installboot from /usr/mdec (or /usr/sbin on 5.5)
on the install image ramdisk, not the 5.2 host.

And you really need to use the installer and let it do all
this for you, or else you should read the install/upgrade scripts
and figure out the stuffs.

Re: Deleted everything in /

alan01346
Got it.  Thanks.  I burned a 5.2 install and used the ramdisk
/usr/mdec/installboot from that. I don't have 5.5 and it would take
weeks by modem to get it.

Credit is the root of all evil.  - AB1JX

Re: Deleted everything in /

alan01346
Hah!  I got an err M again 3 years later.  I was running multiboot
whereby you do a dd from wd0 into a file.  So I booted from an install
disk, shelled out, did fsck on the hard drive partitions then used dd
to copy back the bootsector file.  It worked.

I just did:
dd of=/dev/wd0 if=obsd.bin
and rebooted, everything came back.

On 3/6/14, Alan Corey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Got it.  Thanks.  I burned a 5.2 install and used the ramdisk
> /usr/mdec/installboot from that. I don't have 5.5 and it would take
> weeks by modem to get it.
>
> On 3/6/14, Chris Cappuccio <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Alan Corey [[hidden email]] wrote:
>>> I'm at 5.2. Booting from a 5.4 install image I mounted my / as /mnt
>>> then my /usr as /mnt2. Then I did:
>>>
>>> /mnt2/mdec/installboot -n -v /mnt/boot /mnt2/mdec/biosboot /dev/wd0c
>>> and get: Bad system call
>>>
>>> There's a /mnt/boot in place copied from /mnt2/mdec
>>>

>> You need to run installboot from /usr/mdec (or /usr/sbin on 5.5)
>> on the install image ramdisk, not the 5.2 host.
>>
>> And you really need to use the installer and let it do all
>> this for you, or else you should read the install/upgrade scripts
>> and figure out the stuffs.
>>

> --
> Credit is the root of all evil.  - AB1JX

--
No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX