Dedicate Zaurus Drive to OpenBSD

Patrick Heim-2
Folks,

I'm getting ready to upgrade to 4.2 on my Zaurus and am debating a few
options.

Is there a downside (not using Linux is not a downside) to completely
deleting all Linux related partitions on an SLC-3000 and dedicating the
full drive to OpenBSD?  Any caveats to watch out for?  Is OpenBSD in any
way dependent on Linux as a bootloader?

Also, with 4-8GB CF prices reasonably low, has anyone successfully
replaced the microdrive with a solid state CF?  Any visible performance or
battery efficiency gains?

Thanks,

Patrick

Re: Dedicate Zaurus Drive to OpenBSD

Mike Hernandez-3
On Oct 23, 2007, at 3:57 PM, Patrick Heim wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I'm getting ready to upgrade to 4.2 on my Zaurus and am debating a few
> options.
>
> Is there a downside (not using Linux is not a downside) to completely
> deleting all Linux related partitions on an SLC-3000 and dedicating
> the
> full drive to OpenBSD?  Any caveats to watch out for?  Is OpenBSD
> in any
> way dependent on Linux as a bootloader?
>
> Also, with 4-8GB CF prices reasonably low, has anyone successfully
> replaced the microdrive with a solid state CF?  Any visible
> performance or
> battery efficiency gains?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Patrick

you should check out the thread here:

http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=17213

for info on whole disk installs of openbsd on your zaurus.

If you look around the forum I think someone there has also tried
replacing the HD, though I don't recall if it was with a solid state...

--Mike H

Re: Dedicate Zaurus Drive to OpenBSD

Niall O'Higgins
On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 12:57:27PM -0700, Patrick Heim wrote:
> Is there a downside (not using Linux is not a downside) to completely
> deleting all Linux related partitions on an SLC-3000 and dedicating the
> full drive to OpenBSD?  Any caveats to watch out for?  Is OpenBSD in any
> way dependent on Linux as a bootloader?

I blew away all the Linux stuff on the CF HD over two years ago.  No
downside at all.  There is still Linux on the NAND, but you don't need
to worry about that.

> Also, with 4-8GB CF prices reasonably low, has anyone successfully
> replaced the microdrive with a solid state CF?  Any visible performance or
> battery efficiency gains?

I'm still running the 4G microdrive in mine.

> Thanks,
>
> Patrick

Re: Dedicate Zaurus Drive to OpenBSD

Nick Guenther
On 10/23/07, Patrick Heim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm getting ready to upgrade to 4.2 on my Zaurus and am debating a few
> options.
>
> Is there a downside (not using Linux is not a downside) to completely
> deleting all Linux related partitions on an SLC-3000 and dedicating the
> full drive to OpenBSD?  Any caveats to watch out for?  Is OpenBSD in any
> way dependent on Linux as a bootloader?

No, it's perfectly doable. I figured it out with a day of hacking
around. A problem I ran into was that the CF card I used to put the
installsets on was FAT formatted, so the filenames came out all wrong
and install.sh couldn't find them.

The linux partitions on the disk are not actually linux. They are
purely used for data. Even now, there is still linux on my zaurus, and
if I just booted into the rescue linux (hold B and D when first
applying power: either inserting the battery or pressing the power
button from a fully halted state) and mounted the flash chip
filesystems and edited the rc scripts I could boot it.... except that
in the rc scripts some intern has written them so they will horribly
die if they can't find the expected linux partitions on the
microdrive.

OpenBSD depends on linux as a bootloader only because it has no jffs2
support (the only jffs2 driver is GPL right now) /yet/. If it had
jffs2 support you could put the bootloader on the flash chip's first
partition and a rootfs on the other ones and the BIOS should boot it
fine. Actually, come to think of it, is there any reason that /boot
could not be placed in the first flash partition right now and be able
to boot the drive?

Unless I'm mistaken, and the bootloader is not in what Linux calls
/dev/mtdblock0.

> Also, with 4-8GB CF prices reasonably low, has anyone successfully
> replaced the microdrive with a solid state CF?  Any visible performance or
> battery efficiency gains?

Could you do that easily without soldering? I mean, do CFs have the
same connector as a microdrive..? because that is a very intriguing
idea.... I'm always dropping my zaurus but if it had a solid state
drive I wouldn't have to worry.

Re: Dedicate Zaurus Drive to OpenBSD

OpenBSD-9
Patrick Heim wrote:
> Is there a downside (not using Linux is not a downside) to completely
> deleting all Linux related partitions on an SLC-3000 and dedicating the
> full drive to OpenBSD?  Any caveats to watch out for?  Is OpenBSD in any
> way dependent on Linux as a bootloader?

The only downside is if you decide you want to put Linux back.
The process described at: http://www.trisoft.de/ was not as straight
forward as it describes for my C3200.

But as you said no linux is no downside :~)

HTH
Fred

http://www.crowsons.com/puters/zaurus.htm

Re: Dedicate Zaurus Drive to OpenBSD

Matt Stafford
On 10/23/07, Fred Crowson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Patrick Heim wrote:
> > Is there a downside (not using Linux is not a downside) to completely
> > deleting all Linux related partitions on an SLC-3000 and dedicating the
> > full drive to OpenBSD?  Any caveats to watch out for?  Is OpenBSD in any
> > way dependent on Linux as a bootloader?
> >
> The only downside is if you decide you want to put Linux back.
> The process described at: http://www.trisoft.de/ was not as straight
> forward as it describes for my C3200.

I've not personally tried it, but these instructions seem to detail a
way to install the Cacko Linux "ROM" and modify it such that it will
boot from the flash only, without having to mount any partitions on
the hard drive:

http://exit3.i-55.com/%7Exikon/bsdcacko.html

By the way, this is my first post to a mailing list, so I hope it
comes through OK. :)

- Matt

On 10/24/07, Jesse Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Nick Guenther wrote:
> > Unless I'm mistaken, and the bootloader is not in what Linux
> > calls/dev/mtdblock0.
> The boot manager is located in mtdblock0, and mtdblock1 is used by the
> sharp emergency linux. mtdblock2 and mtdblock3 are user space.

So... would doing this work?:
1) boot into rescue linux
2) Insert a card with a copy of OpenBSD's bootloader on it
3) $ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock0
4) $ dd if=/mnt/cf/boot of=/dev/mtdblock0
5) Reboot
6) Watch OpenBSD boot directly
?

(For the archives: Don't try this at home (unless you know what you're doing))

> >> Also, with 4-8GB CF prices reasonably low, has anyone successfully
> >> replaced the microdrive with a solid state CF?  Any visible performance or
> >> battery efficiency gains?
> >>
> There have been successful micro drive swap outs. See the following link :
> http://mersenne.homeunix.net/zaurusforums/viewtopic.php?t=146

oooh, interesting.
The only part of these instructions that I don't have the skills for
is "3. You have a soldering iron and skills necessary to use it. " ...
but looking through the rest the only part that mentions solder is the
copper wire that /may/ exist that needs to be unsoldered (which
google=http://www.fixyourowntv.com/howtosolder.php tells me that
indeed requires soldering skills).
But that's only /if/ that wire exists.

-Nick

Re: Replacing the Zaurus microdrive (was RE: Dedicate Zaurus Drive to OpenBSD)

Jean-Philippe Leconte
I successfully replaced my microdrive in my SL-C3000 with a 8Gb CF card. In
my zaurus, the copper wire did exist, but it was already unsoldered, so I
just left it as is. Replacing the drive was as easy as replacing any cf
card, except the microdrive is a bit thicker and requires slightly more
force to pull out.

As for efficiency and battery life, the drive definitely seeks faster,
especially when waking up from sleep, but note that I'm mounting it with
noatime and softdep. Battery life feels the same but I haven't tested that
out a lot. One nice noticeable effect is that the CF card doesn't vibrate. I
could previously feel the drive write when I was holding it, but no more.

HTH,

JP

(For the archives: Don't try this at home (unless you know what you're
doing))

> >> Also, with 4-8GB CF prices reasonably low, has anyone successfully
> >> replaced the microdrive with a solid state CF?  Any visible performance
or
> >> battery efficiency gains?
> >>
> There have been successful micro drive swap outs. See the following link :
> http://mersenne.homeunix.net/zaurusforums/viewtopic.php?t=146

oooh, interesting.
The only part of these instructions that I don't have the skills for
is "3. You have a soldering iron and skills necessary to use it. " ...
but looking through the rest the only part that mentions solder is the
copper wire that /may/ exist that needs to be unsoldered (which
google=http://www.fixyourowntv.com/howtosolder.php tells me that
indeed requires soldering skills).
But that's only /if/ that wire exists.

-Nick

Re: Dedicate Zaurus Drive to OpenBSD

Jesse Scott
Nick Guenther wrote:

> On 10/24/07, Jesse Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Nick Guenther wrote:
>>
>>> Unless I'm mistaken, and the bootloader is not in what Linux
>>> calls/dev/mtdblock0.
>>>
>> The boot manager is located in mtdblock0, and mtdblock1 is used by the
>> sharp emergency linux. mtdblock2 and mtdblock3 are user space.
>>

> So... would doing this work?:
> 1) boot into rescue linux
> 2) Insert a card with a copy of OpenBSD's bootloader on it
> 3) $ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock0
> 4) $ dd if=/mnt/cf/boot of=/dev/mtdblock0
> 5) Reboot
> 6) Watch OpenBSD boot directly
> ?
>
> (For the archives: Don't try this at home (unless you know what you're doing))
I think you have to have a special tool / connector to write to
mtdblock0 via the JTAG connector.
See here:
http://odn.excite.co.jp/world/url/body/?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fpc.watch.impress.co.jp%2Fdocs%2F2004%2F1115%2Fpda38.htm&wb_submit=%83E%83F%83u%83y%81%5B%83W%96%7C%96%F3&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2

Jesse

Re: Dedicate Zaurus Drive to OpenBSD

Patrick Heim-2
Thank you for the feedback.

The full disk install based on the instructions and tools found at
http://mersenne.homeunix.net/zaurusforums/viewtopic.php?t=3
went flawlessly.  It's nice to have the extra space :)

Before I commit to a solid state CF card to replace the microdrive, I was
wondering whether there are any speed limitations in the Zaurus.  The
cards  am looking at vary from 40x (6MB/s) to 266x (40MB/s).

Also, I've noticed that the 4.1 and 4.2 (snapshot) kernels appear to have
a bug related to initializing an attached USB hub on bootup.  In the prior
to 4.1 kernels hubs get recognized and attached devices are registered.
With 4.1 / 4.2, this does not happen.  I have to disconnect the USB cable
and re-connect it from the Zaurus to get it to recognize and initialize
the hub / attached devices.

Is anyone else seeing this?  Is this a known problem?

Patrick

Patrick Heim wrote:

> Thank you for the feedback.
>
> The full disk install based on the instructions and tools found at
> http://mersenne.homeunix.net/zaurusforums/viewtopic.php?t=3
> went flawlessly.  It's nice to have the extra space :)
>
> Before I commit to a solid state CF card to replace the microdrive, I was
> wondering whether there are any speed limitations in the Zaurus.  The
> cards  am looking at vary from 40x (6MB/s) to 266x (40MB/s).
>
> Also, I've noticed that the 4.1 and 4.2 (snapshot) kernels appear to have
> a bug related to initializing an attached USB hub on bootup.  In the prior
> to 4.1 kernels hubs get recognized and attached devices are registered.
> With 4.1 / 4.2, this does not happen.  I have to disconnect the USB cable
> and re-connect it from the Zaurus to get it to recognize and initialize
> the hub / attached devices.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?  Is this a known problem?
>
> Patrick

I'm also seeing this. The hub works just not as expected.

Jesse