DISPLAY=:0.1

Gregory Edigarov-5
Hello,

I am a happy user of spectrwm, trying to configure a dualheaded X the
way I want. I now have two monitors connected to the same card.
what I want is that my monitors to behave in completely independent
manner, with some applications putting its windows only on monitor0,
while others puttign on monitor1.

$ env DISPLAY=:0.1 firefox
Error: cannot open display: :0.1

what should I have in my xorg.conf in order to have such setup?

for now I have achieved somewhat near but not what I really want.
is that possible with my current setup i.e. one card, two monitors?

--
With best regards,
        Gregory Edigarov

Re: DISPLAY=:0.1

Vijay Sankar
Quoting Gregory Edigarov <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> I am a happy user of spectrwm, trying to configure a dualheaded X
> the way I want. I now have two monitors connected to the same card.
> what I want is that my monitors to behave in completely independent
> manner, with some applications putting its windows only on monitor0,
> while others puttign on monitor1.
>
> $ env DISPLAY=:0.1 firefox
> Error: cannot open display: :0.1
>
> what should I have in my xorg.conf in order to have such setup?
>
> for now I have achieved somewhat near but not what I really want.
> is that possible with my current setup i.e. one card, two monitors?
>
> --
> With best regards,
> Gregory Edigarov

Hi,

I use KDE with two monitors connected to one card and it seems to work
well with Firefox always starting up on display 1 and libreoffice
always starting up on display 0 for me. I don't know anything about
spectrwm (or KDE or X for that matter :)

My xorg.conf has

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "Screen0"
         Device     "Card0"
         Monitor    "Monitor0"
         SubSection "Display"
                 Viewport   0 0
                 Depth     24
                 Modes "1920x1080"
                 Virtual 3840 1080
         EndSubSection
EndSection

Vijay

Vijay Sankar, M.Eng., P.Eng.
ForeTell Technologies Limited

This message was sent using ForeTell-POST 4.9

Re: DISPLAY=:0.1

Zé Loff-2
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am a happy user of spectrwm, trying to configure a dualheaded X the way I want. I now have two monitors connected to the same card.
>> what I want is that my monitors to behave in completely independent manner, with some applications putting its windows only on monitor0, while others puttign on monitor1.
>>
>> $ env DISPLAY=:0.1 firefox
>> Error: cannot open display: :0.1
>>
>> what should I have in my xorg.conf in order to have such setup?
>>
>> for now I have achieved somewhat near but not what I really want.
>> is that possible with my current setup i.e. one card, two monitors?
>>
>> --
>> With best regards,
>> Gregory Edigarov

dwm allows you to specify the monitor
contact me privately if you need a hand. it's a lot simpler than it seems

Re: DISPLAY=:0.1

Kevin Chadwick-2
> I don't know anything about
> spectrwm (or KDE or X for that matter :)

You can have two displays in xorg.conf or one split in two on two
screens as well as some other modes. There are various benefits to each
depending on the need for dragging and fullscreen etc.. So an app can
remember the geometry across the two or on one of those screens. This
can be hidden and the app just remembers the last or dragged position
but xterm has a -geometry for testing. Windows managers can show the
geometry whilst dragging too.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)