Cubieboard2 Again

mbregg
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has had any success getting OpenBSD
installed on a Cubieboard2 (A20).  According to
http://www.openbsd.org/armv7.html, it should be supported.  I see some
posts from a few months ago on this list, but no updates since then, and
Google is yielding little.

I've tried writing both 5.5 release, and the latest snapshot (June 18)
to a couple of SD Cards, but the same as previous post from April 27, I
only see the following output from the serial console when I boot the
Cubieboard2:

U-Boot SPL 2012.10-04280-g1a8ac55 (May 23 2013 - 14:01:59)
DRAM: 32MB

and then the system hangs.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
Mike

Re: Cubieboard2 Again

mbregg
On 2014-07-15 10:42, Patrick Wildt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The U-Boot used might not be suitable for the A20, only for the A10.
> You can probably look for a newer one which works on both on the
> intarwebs or compile yourself a new one using the maker’s u-boot git
> sources.  After you flashed the sunxi miniroot, overwrite parts of it
> using the proper u-boot. Then it should work better.
>
> \Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your suggestion.  The boot process begins now, but it seems
to be hanging after probing the usb devices:

OpenBSD 5.5-current (RAMDISK-SUNXI) #1: Mon Jun 16 22:29:53 EDT 2014

[hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/armv7/compile/RAMDISK-SUNXI
real mem  = 1073741824 (1024MB)
avail mem = 1036132352 (988MB)
warning: no entropy supplied by boot loader
mainbus0 at root
cortex0 at mainbus0
ampintc0 at cortex0 nirq 160
cpu0 at mainbus0: ARM Cortex A7 rev 4 (ARMv7 core)
cpu0: DC enabled IC enabled WB disabled EABT branch prediction enabled
cpu0: 32KB(32b/l,2way) I-cache, 32KB(64b/l,4way) wr-back D-cache
sunxi0 at mainbus0: A20
sxipio0 at sunxi0
sxiccmu0 at sunxi0
sxitimer0 at sunxi0: ticktimer 100hz @ 32KHz
sxitimer1 at sunxi0: stattimer 128hz @ 32KHz
sxitimer2 at sunxi0: cntrtimer @ 32KHz
sxidog0 at sunxi0
sxirtc0 at sunxi0
sxiuart0 at sunxi0: console
sxiuart1 at sunxi0
sxiuart2 at sunxi0
sxiuart3 at sunxi0
sxiuart4 at sunxi0
sxiuart5 at sunxi0
sxiuart6 at sunxi0
sxiuart7 at sunxi0
sxie0 at sunxi0, address 02:c7:08:c1:f4:43
rlphy0 at sxie0 phy 1: RTL8201L 10/100 PHY, rev. 1
ahci0 at sunxi0 AHCI 1.1
scsibus0 at ahci0: 32 targets
ehci0 at sunxi0
usb0 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
uhub0 at usb0 "Allwinner EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
ehci1 at sunxi0
usb1 at ehci1: USB revision 2.0
uhub1 at usb1 "Allwinner EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1

Re: Cubieboard2 Again

Bill Albertson-2
No, I’ve tried the latest snapshot, and the one prior, and had exactly the same results on both occasions with the Cubie2 (A20).  I’ve gone back and duplicated those results using an OpenBSD system to author the images as well.

I’ve noted that there is an overlapping set of partitions created by the imaging script, and I’ve been told that is “normal”.  However, I haven’t had the time to go back and try non-overlapped partitioning mechanisms to try and figure out which combination will allow me to boot.

Simply copying the files over to a regular USB stick and flagging it “bootable” doesn’t work either, though that had been suggested.

On Jul 15, 2014, at 8:59 AM, Mike Bregg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering if anyone has had any success getting OpenBSD installed on a Cubieboard2 (A20).  According to http://www.openbsd.org/armv7.html, it should be supported.  I see some posts from a few months ago on this list, but no updates since then, and Google is yielding little.
>
> I've tried writing both 5.5 release, and the latest snapshot (June 18) to a couple of SD Cards, but the same as previous post from April 27, I only see the following output from the serial console when I boot the Cubieboard2:
>
> U-Boot SPL 2012.10-04280-g1a8ac55 (May 23 2013 - 14:01:59)
> DRAM: 32MB
>
> and then the system hangs.
>
> Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
> Mike

Re: Cubieboard2 Again

mbregg
On 2014-07-16 14:03, Bill Albertson wrote:

> No, I’ve tried the latest snapshot, and the one prior, and had exactly
> the same results on both occasions with the Cubie2 (A20).  I’ve gone
> back and duplicated those results using an OpenBSD system to author
> the images as well.
>
> I’ve noted that there is an overlapping set of partitions created by
> the imaging script, and I’ve been told that is “normal”.  However, I
> haven’t had the time to go back and try non-overlapped partitioning
> mechanisms to try and figure out which combination will allow me to
> boot.
>
> Simply copying the files over to a regular USB stick and flagging it
> “bootable” doesn’t work either, though that had been suggested.

I was able to get it to at least boot the OpenBSD installer by flashing
a newer u-boot from
http://dl.linux-sunxi.org/nightly/u-boot-sunxi/u-boot-sunxi/.  Following
Patrick's suggestion, I wrote miniroot-sunxi-55.fs to a microsd card,
then wrote u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin as follows:

dd if=u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/sdX bs=1024 seek=8

This actually allowed me to boot into the installer, but it didn't made
it past probing USB.  I think it was failing on probing for the nand
flash, which comes after USB.  Subsequent attempts haven't even got that
far, and I'm unable to install Arch, or any of the other Linux distros
on it.  I'm assuming I have a bad board.

Anyway, maybe this will help someone else.

Regards,
Mike