Cruft: imake

Christian Weisgerber
Now that gtk1 has been removed, we need to give jasper@ a new goal
in life.  I think a good candidate is imake.  Anything that still
uses imake for configuration is likely old cruft that has been
barely maintained, if at all, since the late 1990s.

Here's a list of ports that use CONFIGURE_STYLE=imake:

astro/sunclock
astro/xearth
astro/xephem
astro/xphoon
audio/ascd
audio/libworkman
audio/xcdplayer
audio/xmcd
benchmarks/xengine
comms/seyon
editors/axe
emulators/spim
fonts/ja-funetfonts
fonts/jmk-fonts
fonts/zh-kcfonts
fonts/zh-taipeifonts
games/speyes
games/spider
games/xasteroids
games/xbat
games/xbattle
games/xboing
games/xchomp
games/xcubes
games/xdeblock
games/xdino
games/xgolgo
games/xjewel
games/xkobo
games/xlife
games/xmine
games/xminesweep
games/xmj
games/xmris
games/xonix
games/xpat2
games/xpilot
games/xripple
games/xscavenger
games/xscrabble
games/xskat
graphics/mpeg_play
graphics/tgif
graphics/xanim
graphics/xbmbrowser
graphics/xfig
graphics/xoris
graphics/xpaint
japanese/canna
japanese/kinput2
japanese/kterm
mail/xlbiff
misc/magicpoint
misc/xgas
misc/xless
misc/xtar
misc/xtimer
net/ssvnc
net/wmnet
plan9/9wm
plan9/larswm
plan9/w9wm
print/bibview
print/ghostview
print/transfig
productivity/xinvest
productivity/xquote
sysutils/xbatt
sysutils/xbattbar
textproc/docbook-to-man
textproc/mgdiff
x11/asclock
x11/bclock
x11/bricons
x11/ctwm
x11/emiclock
x11/lupe
x11/mouseclock
x11/piewm
x11/root-tail
x11/sliderule
x11/swisswatch
x11/tvtwm
x11/unclutter
x11/viewfax
x11/wmdate
x11/x2vnc
x11/x2x
x11/xaniroc
x11/xantfarm
x11/xautolock
x11/xcb
x11/xco
x11/xcoloredit
x11/xcolors
x11/xdtm
x11/xdu
x11/xfed
x11/xfishtank
x11/xgrab
x11/xkeycaps
x11/xmascot
x11/xmold
x11/xpostit
x11/xpostitPlus
x11/xprompt
x11/xscribble
x11/xsnow
x11/xtacy
x11/xtattr
x11/xtestpicture
x11/xtoolwait
x11/xtu
x11/xvkbd
x11/xwit
x11/xzoom

Some more ports that otherwise depend on imake or in turn on something
that does:

audio/ardour
audio/aubio
chinese/crxvt
comms/x3270
comms/xastir
fonts/zh-bg5pdf
games/redeclipse
games/xbl
graphics/GraphicsMagick
graphics/colorexplorer
graphics/darktable
graphics/enblend-enfuse
graphics/hugin
graphics/ipe
graphics/pdf2djvu
japanese/Wnn
japanese/jvim
japanese/onew
math/octave
x11/afterstep
x11/kde/base3
x11/treewm
x11/wmclock

Re: Cruft: imake

kwesterback
Nothing I can see that is worth extra effort to retain. But that's just me.

.... Ken

On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 at 12:00 Christian Weisgerber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> productivity/xinvest
> productivity/xquote
> sysutils/xbatt
> sysutils/xbattbar
> textproc/docbook-to-man
> textproc/mgdiff
> x11/asclock
> x11/bclock
> x11/bricons
> x11/ctwm
> x11/emiclock
> x11/lupe
> x11/mouseclock
> x11/piewm
> x11/root-tail
> x11/sliderule
> x11/swisswatch
> x11/tvtwm
> x11/unclutter
> x11/viewfax
> x11/wmdate
> x11/x2vnc
> x11/x2x
> x11/xaniroc
> x11/xantfarm
> x11/xautolock
> x11/xcb
> x11/xco
> x11/xcoloredit
> x11/xcolors
> x11/xdtm
> x11/xdu
> x11/xfed
> x11/xfishtank
> x11/xgrab
> x11/xkeycaps
> x11/xmascot
> x11/xmold
> x11/xpostit
> x11/xpostitPlus
> x11/xprompt
> x11/xscribble
> x11/xsnow
> x11/xtacy
> x11/xtattr
> x11/xtestpicture
> x11/xtoolwait
> x11/xtu
> x11/xvkbd
> x11/xwit
> x11/xzoom
>
> Some more ports that otherwise depend on imake or in turn on something
> that does:
>
> audio/ardour
> audio/aubio
> chinese/crxvt
> comms/x3270
> comms/xastir
> fonts/zh-bg5pdf
> games/redeclipse
> games/xbl
> graphics/GraphicsMagick
> graphics/colorexplorer
> graphics/darktable
> graphics/enblend-enfuse
> graphics/hugin
> graphics/ipe
> graphics/pdf2djvu
> japanese/Wnn
> japanese/jvim
> japanese/onew
> math/octave
> x11/afterstep
> x11/kde/base3
> x11/treewm
> x11/wmclock
>
> --
> Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          [hidden email]

Re: Cruft: imake

Matthieu Herrb-7
On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 11:03:56AM +0000, Kenneth Westerback wrote:
> Nothing I can see that is worth extra effort to retain. But that's just me.

I would be annoyed to see xfig/transfig go, as I still have a bunch of
figures done with xfig. (I'm using transfig to convert them to SVG and
and use inkscape when I need to modify them, but I don't really want
to scan all my directories for that.

I haven't check if alternate build systems exist for them though. This
may be a way to salvage some of those ports.

Also often providing a simple BSD makefile to build them shouldn't be
too hard.

> [...]
> > productivity/xinvest
> > productivity/xquote
> > sysutils/xbatt
> > sysutils/xbattbar
> > textproc/docbook-to-man
> > textproc/mgdiff
> > x11/asclock
> > x11/bclock
> > x11/bricons
> > x11/ctwm
> > x11/emiclock
> > x11/lupe
> > x11/mouseclock
> > x11/piewm
> > x11/root-tail
> > x11/sliderule
> > x11/swisswatch
> > x11/tvtwm
> > x11/unclutter
> > x11/viewfax
> > x11/wmdate
> > x11/x2vnc
> > x11/x2x
> > x11/xaniroc
> > x11/xantfarm
> > x11/xautolock
> > x11/xcb
> > x11/xco
> > x11/xcoloredit
> > x11/xcolors
> > x11/xdtm
> > x11/xdu
> > x11/xfed
> > x11/xfishtank
> > x11/xgrab
> > x11/xkeycaps
> > x11/xmascot
> > x11/xmold
> > x11/xpostit
> > x11/xpostitPlus
> > x11/xprompt
> > x11/xscribble
> > x11/xsnow
> > x11/xtacy
> > x11/xtattr
> > x11/xtestpicture
> > x11/xtoolwait
> > x11/xtu
> > x11/xvkbd
> > x11/xwit
> > x11/xzoom
> >
> > Some more ports that otherwise depend on imake or in turn on something
> > that does:
> >
> > audio/ardour
> > audio/aubio
> > chinese/crxvt
> > comms/x3270
> > comms/xastir
> > fonts/zh-bg5pdf
> > games/redeclipse
> > games/xbl
> > graphics/GraphicsMagick
> > graphics/colorexplorer
> > graphics/darktable
> > graphics/enblend-enfuse
> > graphics/hugin
> > graphics/ipe
> > graphics/pdf2djvu
> > japanese/Wnn
> > japanese/jvim
> > japanese/onew
> > math/octave
> > x11/afterstep
> > x11/kde/base3
> > x11/treewm
> > x11/wmclock
> >
> > --
> > Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          [hidden email]

Giovanni Bechis-7
On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 12:56:50PM +0200, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Now that gtk1 has been removed, we need to give jasper@ a new goal
> in life.  I think a good candidate is imake.  Anything that still
> uses imake for configuration is likely old cruft that has been
> barely maintained, if at all, since the late 1990s.
>
> Here's a list of ports that use CONFIGURE_STYLE=imake:

[...]
> misc/magicpoint

no more magicpoint ? Maybe we could write a BSD Makefile for that one.
 Giovanni

Re: Cruft: imake

On 2016/09/02 12:56, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Now that gtk1 has been removed, we need to give jasper@ a new goal
> in life.  I think a good candidate is imake.  Anything that still
> uses imake for configuration is likely old cruft that has been
> barely maintained, if at all, since the late 1990s.

> games/xonix

critical infrastructure :-)

> graphics/tgif
> graphics/xfig
> print/ghostview
> print/transfig
> misc/magicpoint
> net/ssvnc
> x11/unclutter
> x11/x2vnc
> x11/x2x
> x11/xautolock
..
> audio/ardour
> graphics/GraphicsMagick
> graphics/darktable
> graphics/enblend-enfuse
> graphics/hugin
> graphics/pdf2djvu
> math/octave

I wouldn't like to lose these.

Re: Cruft: imake

Ryan Freeman
On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 12:56:50PM +0200, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Now that gtk1 has been removed, we need to give jasper@ a new goal
> in life.  I think a good candidate is imake.  Anything that still
> uses imake for configuration is likely old cruft that has been
> barely maintained, if at all, since the late 1990s.
>
> Here's a list of ports that use CONFIGURE_STYLE=imake:

---snip---

> Some more ports that otherwise depend on imake or in turn on something
> that does:
>
> audio/ardour

I am hoping we can keep ardour (though it does need to be updated, and
the requirements for that eclipse my abilities atm :( )

> audio/aubio
> chinese/crxvt
> comms/x3270
> comms/xastir
> fonts/zh-bg5pdf
> games/redeclipse

I guess this one is just because of GraphicsMagick, does ImageMagick
require imake?  They do more or less the same job right?  I will take
a stab at replacing the GraphicsMagick RUN_DEPENDS hopefully this
weekend.

> games/xbl
> graphics/GraphicsMagick
> graphics/colorexplorer
> graphics/darktable
> graphics/enblend-enfuse
> graphics/hugin
> graphics/ipe
> graphics/pdf2djvu
> japanese/Wnn
> japanese/jvim
> japanese/onew
> math/octave
> x11/afterstep
> x11/kde/base3
> x11/treewm
> x11/wmclock
>
> --
> Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          [hidden email]

Re: Cruft: imake

Bryan Steele-2
On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 12:56:50PM +0200, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> Now that gtk1 has been removed, we need to give jasper@ a new goal
> in life.  I think a good candidate is imake.  Anything that still
> uses imake for configuration is likely old cruft that has been
> barely maintained, if at all, since the late 1990s.
>
> Here's a list of ports that use CONFIGURE_STYLE=imake:

> sysutils/xbatt
> sysutils/xbattbar

At least these two are still useful.

Re: Cruft: imake

On 2016/09/02 13:35, Ryan Freeman wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 12:56:50PM +0200, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > Now that gtk1 has been removed, we need to give jasper@ a new goal
> > in life.  I think a good candidate is imake.  Anything that still
> > uses imake for configuration is likely old cruft that has been
> > barely maintained, if at all, since the late 1990s.
> >
> > Here's a list of ports that use CONFIGURE_STYLE=imake:
> >
> ---snip---
> >
> > Some more ports that otherwise depend on imake or in turn on something
> > that does:
> >
> > audio/ardour
>
> I am hoping we can keep ardour (though it does need to be updated, and
> the requirements for that eclipse my abilities atm :( )
>
> > audio/aubio
> > chinese/crxvt
> > comms/x3270
> > comms/xastir
> > fonts/zh-bg5pdf
> > games/redeclipse
>
> I guess this one is just because of GraphicsMagick, does ImageMagick
> require imake?  They do more or less the same job right?  I will take
> a stab at replacing the GraphicsMagick RUN_DEPENDS hopefully this
> weekend.

GraphicsMagick is because of an RDEP on transfig. I am certain we should
keep GraphicsMagick (though it could probably lose that dep without affecting
things much). I am pretty sure we should keep transfig also.

Re: Cruft: imake

Christian Weisgerber
On 2016-09-02, Matthieu Herrb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would be annoyed to see xfig/transfig go, as I still have a bunch of
> figures done with xfig.

Something to investigate:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mcj/

Released /xfig-full-3.2.6.tar.xz                             4 weeks ago

Re: Cruft: imake

Kirill Bychkov
On Fri, September 2, 2016 13:56, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Now that gtk1 has been removed, we need to give jasper@ a new goal
> in life.  I think a good candidate is imake.  Anything that still
> uses imake for configuration is likely old cruft that has been
> barely maintained, if at all, since the late 1990s.
>
> Here's a list of ports that use CONFIGURE_STYLE=imake:

Hi!
Attached diff updates graphics/xfig to latest version. Upstream
switched from imake to autotools.
Update HOMEPAGE and remove trailing whitespace in DESCR while here.
Slightly tested on amd64.
Comments? OK?

> [...]
> games/xscavenger
> games/xscrabble
> games/xskat
> graphics/mpeg_play
> graphics/tgif
> graphics/xanim
> graphics/xbmbrowser
> graphics/xfig
> graphics/xoris
> graphics/xpaint
> japanese/canna
> japanese/kinput2
> japanese/kterm
> mail/xlbiff
> misc/magicpoint
> misc/xgas
> misc/xless
> misc/xtar
> misc/xtimer
> net/ssvnc
> net/wmnet
> plan9/9wm
> plan9/larswm
> plan9/w9wm
> print/bibview
> print/ghostview
> print/transfig
> productivity/xinvest
> productivity/xquote
> sysutils/xbatt
> sysutils/xbattbar
> textproc/docbook-to-man
> textproc/mgdiff
> x11/asclock
> x11/bclock
> x11/bricons
> x11/ctwm
> x11/emiclock
> x11/lupe
> x11/mouseclock
> x11/piewm
> x11/root-tail
> x11/sliderule
> x11/swisswatch
> x11/tvtwm
> x11/unclutter
> x11/viewfax
> x11/wmdate
> x11/x2vnc
> x11/x2x
> x11/xaniroc
> x11/xantfarm
> x11/xautolock
> x11/xcb
> x11/xco
> x11/xcoloredit
> x11/xcolors
> x11/xdtm
> x11/xdu
> x11/xfed
> x11/xfishtank
> x11/xgrab
> x11/xkeycaps
> x11/xmascot
> x11/xmold
> x11/xpostit
> x11/xpostitPlus
> x11/xprompt
> x11/xscribble
> x11/xsnow
> x11/xtacy
> x11/xtattr
> x11/xtestpicture
> x11/xtoolwait
> x11/xtu
> x11/xvkbd
> x11/xwit
> x11/xzoom
>
> Some more ports that otherwise depend on imake or in turn on something

xfig-3.2.6.diff (19K) Download Attachment

Re: Cruft: imake

Kirill Bychkov
Ping