Creating a Partition for RAID Arrays

Justin Noor
Hello Misc,

We need to create a partition on an OpenBSD server for the sole purpose of
mounting RAID arrays.

The mount point would be something like:

/data

Then we will create directories in that partition and mount the arrays:

/data/raid1
/data/raid2
/data/raid3

How big should this partition be?

Re: Creating a Partition for RAID Arrays

Aaron Mason
On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 1:51 PM Justin Noor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Misc,

Hi!

> We need to create a partition on an OpenBSD server for the sole purpose of
> mounting RAID arrays.
>

> [LE SNIP]
> How big should this partition be?

As big as you need to store any actual data.  If you're not storing
anything on it, there's no reason to have one at all, just create the
directory in your root filesystem.  Is there a reason you can't just
do that?

--
Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse

Re: Creating a Partition for RAID Arrays

Jan Stary
On Sep 16 20:30:45, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello Misc,
>
> We need to create a partition on an OpenBSD server for the sole purpose of
> mounting RAID arrays.
>
> The mount point would be something like:
>
> /data
>
> Then we will create directories in that partition and mount the arrays:
>
> /data/raid1
> /data/raid2
> /data/raid3
>

> How big should this partition be?

At least one byte for every byte you want to store.

Re: Creating a Partition for RAID Arrays

Kenneth Gober
On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 11:52 PM Justin Noor <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> We need to create a partition on an OpenBSD server for the sole purpose of
> mounting RAID arrays.
>
> The mount point would be something like:
>
> /data
>
> Then we will create directories in that partition and mount the arrays:
>
> /data/raid1
> /data/raid2
> /data/raid3

If you are mounting the arrays over the network via NFS or iSCSI then you
don't need
to make /data its own partition.  Just make a folder in the root directory,
and create the
desired sub-folders within.  When the RAID array isn't mounted, the
directory will be
empty, consuming no space.  When the RAID array gets mounted, the space
will come
from the RAID array itself.

If the arrays are local (RAID controller installed in this server) then you
will create the
partitions *on* the RAID arrays after you create them.  Each RAID array
will appear to
OpenBSD as a separate disk, needing its own partition table.

-ken