Crashing 64bit (AMD) 6.7 kernel on APU2

Damian McGuckin

Hi,

For the first time ever, we have seen a crashing kernel. Having never
experienced this before on any OpenBSD release for over 20 years, I have
no debugging experience. We have simply reverted to 32bit to see it that
is the issue. The system works flawlessly with 6.3 in 32 bit mode but we
thought we should update.

This is on an APU2 with an AMD64 release.

Has anybody seen the same problem?

Thanks - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer

Re: Crashing 64bit (AMD) 6.7 kernel on APU2

Otto Moerbeek
On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 03:33:17PM +1000, Damian McGuckin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For the first time ever, we have seen a crashing kernel. Having never
> experienced this before on any OpenBSD release for over 20 years, I have no
> debugging experience. We have simply reverted to 32bit to see it that is the
> issue. The system works flawlessly with 6.3 in 32 bit mode but we thought we
> should update.
>
> This is on an APU2 with an AMD64 release.
>
> Has anybody seen the same problem?

Without any usefull details noboday can answer that question.

        -Otto

> Thanks - Damian
>
> Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe NSW 2037
> Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
> Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer

Re: Crashing 64bit (AMD) 6.7 kernel on APU2

Jacqueline Jolicoeur

https://www.openbsd.org/report.html
https://man.openbsd.org/crash.8

> The system works flawlessly with 6.3

The challenge with delaying upgrades is it makes the situation more
complicated when a problem is encountered.

Re: Crashing 64bit (AMD) 6.7 kernel on APU2

Sacha
Le 30/08/2020 à 07:33, Damian McGuckin a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> For the first time ever, we have seen a crashing kernel. Having never
> experienced this before on any OpenBSD release for over 20 years, I
> have no debugging experience. We have simply reverted to 32bit to see
> it that is the issue. The system works flawlessly with 6.3 in 32 bit
> mode but we thought we should update.
>
> This is on an APU2 with an AMD64 release.
>
> Has anybody seen the same problem?

As said by our friends a context would be usefull: I'm running severals
APU[2|3] with OpenBSD 6.7 without any problems.

Please check that you have the lastest version of  the coreboot firmware
too.

Sacha.

Re: Crashing 64bit (AMD) 6.7 kernel on APU2

Kenneth Gober
On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 2:55 AM Damian McGuckin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is on an APU2 with an AMD64 release.
>
> Has anybody seen the same problem?

I have an APU2E4 running 6.7/amd64 and haven't had any trouble with it.  I
also have
two running 6.6/amd64, one running 6.4/amd64, and an APU2D4 running
6.4/amd64.
None of them have exhibited any problems.  All of them are running the
factory
firmware (Coreboot build 20170228 / SeaBIOS version 1.10.0.1

-ken