Convert ffs1 to ffs2?

Christer Solskogen-3
Is that possible?

--
chs

Re: Convert ffs1 to ffs2?

Philip Guenther-2
On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 10:50 PM Christer Solskogen <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is that possible?

"Possible" is irrelevant.  Lots of things are _possible_ but not done.
"Has anyone actually written a tool to do this, and would you *trust* it?"
are the proper question...and the answer appears to be *no*.

Philip Guenther

Re: Convert ffs1 to ffs2?

Christer Solskogen-3
On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 9:58 AM Philip Guenther <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 10:50 PM Christer Solskogen <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is that possible?
>>

> "Possible" is irrelevant.  Lots of things are _possible_ but not done.
> "Has anyone actually written a tool to do this, and would you *trust* it?"
> are the proper question...and the answer appears to be *no*.

Heh, point taken. Thanks!

chs

RE: Convert ffs1 to ffs2?

Михаил Попов
> "Possible" is irrelevant. Lots of things are _possible_ but not done.

Then only rsyncing?

Why not adding at least one of a well tested journaled FS like XFS to OpenBSD?
Is XFS too fat and complex to be secure?

Does OpenBSD work well if system root is stored via NFS, say on a Linux ZFS?

Re: Convert ffs1 to ffs2?

Claudio Jeker
On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 11:30:00AM +0300, Михаил Попов wrote:
> > "Possible" is irrelevant. Lots of things are _possible_ but not done.
>
> Then only rsyncing?

There is also dump and restore.

> Why not adding at least one of a well tested journaled FS like XFS to OpenBSD?
> Is XFS too fat and complex to be secure?

There is a lot of talk but nobody ever did the work. It is hard work and
will take a lot of time. Also the license needs to be compatible with
OpenBSD.

> Does OpenBSD work well if system root is stored via NFS, say on a Linux ZFS?

OpenBSD can run diskless but not sure if it works well, that depends on
your workload and opinion.

:wq Claudio

Re: Convert ffs1 to ffs2?

Otto Moerbeek
On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 11:30:00AM +0300, Михаил Попов wrote:

> > "Possible" is irrelevant. Lots of things are _possible_ but not done.
>
> Then only rsyncing?
>
> Why not adding at least one of a well tested journaled FS like XFS to OpenBSD?
> Is XFS too fat and complex to be secure?
>
> Does OpenBSD work well if system root is stored via NFS, say on a Linux ZFS?

rsync is one option, if you can keep both partitions online.
dump followed by newfs and restore also works and allows you to keep
the backup on another system.

As for other FS types or adding journalling to FFS: nobody willing and
*able* showed up so far.

        -Otto

Re[2]: Convert ffs1 to ffs2?

Михаил Попов
According to:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200520085926/https://itsfoss.com/hyperbola-linux-bsd/

They are going to add following:

>We have plans on porting BTRFS, JFS2, NetBSD’s CHFS, DragonFlyBSD’s HAMMER/HAMMER2 and the Linux kernel’s JFFS2, all of which have licenses compatible with GPLv3. Long term, we may also support Ext4, F2FS, ReiserFS and Reiser4, but they will need to be rewritten due to being licensed exclusively under GPLv2, which does not allow use with GPLv3. All of these file systems will require development and stability testing, so they will be in later HyperbolaBSD releases and not for our initial stable version(s).

As for me at least BTRFS and JFS2 look nice, but I would prefer a ZFS option (build time switch) instead of BTRFS and XFS instead of JFS2.

Having such complex file systems in the kernel without ability to disable them completely may be too insecure?

>> > "Possible" is irrelevant. Lots of things are _possible_ but not done.
>>
>> Then only rsyncing?
>>
>> Why not adding at least one of a well tested journaled FS like XFS to OpenBSD?
>> Is XFS too fat and complex to be secure?
>>
>> Does OpenBSD work well if system root is stored via NFS, say on a Linux ZFS?
>>

>rsync is one option, if you can keep both partitions online.
>dump followed by newfs and restore also works and allows you to keep
>the backup on another system.
>
>As for other FS types or adding journalling to FFS: nobody willing and
>*able* showed up so far.
>
>-Otto

Re: Convert ffs1 to ffs2?

Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri-4
On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 10:44:42AM +0200, Claudio Jeker wrote:

> On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 11:30:00AM +0300, Михаил Попов wrote:
> > > "Possible" is irrelevant. Lots of things are _possible_ but not done.
> >
> > Then only rsyncing?
>
> There is also dump and restore.
>
> > Why not adding at least one of a well tested journaled FS like XFS to OpenBSD?
> > Is XFS too fat and complex to be secure?
>
> There is a lot of talk but nobody ever did the work. It is hard work and
> will take a lot of time. Also the license needs to be compatible with
> OpenBSD.
>
> > Does OpenBSD work well if system root is stored via NFS, say on a Linux ZFS?
>
> OpenBSD can run diskless but not sure if it works well, that depends on
> your workload and opinion.

OpenBSD works "well" as a diskless system (see diskless(8)).  The value
of "well" depends on your expectations.  I don't run any of my OpenBSD
systems with a graphical UI, for example, and I don't need super fast
disk access to edit files or read my email.

--
Andreas (Kusalananda) Kähäri
SciLifeLab, NBIS, ICM

.

Re: Convert ffs1 to ffs2?

Christian Weisgerber
On 2020-05-20, Christer Solskogen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is that possible?

umount, dump, newfs, mount, restore