Contribute to base

ports
Hello everybody,

I've been a great fan of openbsd for a while and wanted to start out
contributing to openbsd's base.

For that reason I wondered if there is a recommended way of getting to
know how the internals of openbsd work. Or isn't there ? Just head first
and see what looks most interesting?

Thanks for your time.

I'd appreciate any hints or tips.

Kind regards,

Stephan

Re: Contribute to base

Marc Espie-2
On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 08:49:56PM +0200, ports wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I've been a great fan of openbsd for a while and wanted to start out
> contributing to openbsd's base.
>
> For that reason I wondered if there is a recommended way of getting to
> know how the internals of openbsd work. Or isn't there ? Just head first
> and see what looks most interesting?
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> I'd appreciate any hints or tips.

Most people getting to be developers have an itch to scratch.

Use the system. Soon enough you'll find something you don't like or
that could work better.

That's the rabbit hole.

Re: Contribute to base

giant
> Use the system. Soon enough you'll find something you don't like or
> that could work better.

One thing that's tickled me since I've used OpenBSD is the lack of a
DHCPv6 client and server in base. Since I can't program, please be my
guest, OP!

Is there a reason why dhcpcd is not included in base?

Re: Contribute to base

Stuart Henderson
On 2019-10-11, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Use the system. Soon enough you'll find something you don't like or
>> that could work better.
>
> One thing that's tickled me since I've used OpenBSD is the lack of a
> DHCPv6 client and server in base. Since I can't program, please be my
> guest, OP!
>
> Is there a reason why dhcpcd is not included in base?

Yes