Compiling the current version within the stable version

Compiling the current version within the stable version

João Salvatti
Hi all,

I have installed on my machine the OpenBSD release 3.8. So, if I
download the source code from a more recent release, compile and
install it, will the current installed binaries, such as top, mount,
disklabel, and many others in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, etc... work with
this new kernel? If so, why do I need to update all my packages every
a new version of the system is released?

Thanks.

--
Joco Salvatti
Undergraduating in Computer Science
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Compiling the current version within the stable version

Lukasz Sztachanski
On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 02:28:05PM -0200, Jo?o Salvatti wrote:
> I have installed on my machine the OpenBSD release 3.8. So, if I
> download the source code from a more recent release, compile and
> install it, will the current installed binaries, such as top, mount,
> disklabel, and many others in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, etc... work with
> this new kernel? If so, why do I need to update all my packages every
> a new version of the system is released?

because there are new librarys, so 3rd party software has to be
correctly built against new ones.

                                - Lukasz Sztachanski

--
0x058B7133 // 16AB 4EBC 29DA D92D 8DBE  BC01 FC91 9EF7 058B 7133
http://szati.blogspot.com