Compiling programs for multiple CPUs

Siju George
On 4/13/07, Otto Moerbeek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Siju George wrote:

> > > 1.83
> > > >
> > > FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,SBF,SSE3,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,CX16,xTPR
> > >
> > > Try enabling acpi: boot -c, then "enable acpi". If that works, you can
> > > make it permanent using config -e -o /bsd /bsd
> > >

> > Thanks a million Otto Marco and Kenneth :-)
> > It works :-) dmesg is below.
> >

> > > Just use the latest snapshot.
> > >

> > alright :-) use the upgrade procedure
> > and use pkg_add -ui to update packages right?
>
> Yep. Though you might wanna wipe /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11 before
> upgrading, so no old stuff remains.
>

> > Since the laptop is an SMP will there be any significant benifit if I
> > compile from source using ports? the packages are compiled on a uni
> > processor machine for i386 right?
>
> No, it's completely transparent to programs. The binaries do not
> differ.

By a lot of help from you and others initially I am a happy current user now :-)

I was trying to install the CMU Sphinx speech recognition software (
to convert a few mp3s into text ) on 4.1 current and
read this from their website.

http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/sphinx/tutorial.html

On Linux machines, you can set up the scripts to take advantage of
multiple CPUs. To do this, edit etc/sphinx_train.cfg, change the line
defining the variable $CFG_NPART to match the number of CPUs in your
system, and edit the line defining $CFG_QUEUE_TYPE to the following:

# Queue::POSIX for multiple CPUs on a local machine
# Queue::PBS to use a PBS/TORQUE queue
$CFG_QUEUE_TYPE = "Queue::POSIX";

Just wondering if it is only for Linux or it is applicable for OpenBSD too?

Since you said it is transparent to the programs.

Thankyou so much :-)

Kind Regards

Siju

Re: Compiling programs for multiple CPUs

Otto Moerbeek
On Sat, 12 May 2007, Siju George wrote:

> On 4/13/07, Otto Moerbeek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > 1.67"

> > 686-class)
> > > > >

> > FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,SBF,SSE3,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,CX16,xTPR

> > > Thanks a million Otto Marco and Kenneth :-)
> > > It works :-) dmesg is below.

> > > alright :-) use the upgrade procedure
> > > and use pkg_add -ui to update packages right?
> >
> > Yep. Though you might wanna wipe /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11 before
> > upgrading, so no old stuff remains.
> >

> > > Since the laptop is an SMP will there be any significant benifit if I
> > > compile from source using ports? the packages are compiled on a uni
> > > processor machine for i386 right?
> >
> > No, it's completely transparent to programs. The binaries do not
> > differ.
> >

> By a lot of help from you and others initially I am a happy current user now
> :-)
>
> I was trying to install the CMU Sphinx speech recognition software (
> to convert a few mp3s into text ) on 4.1 current and
> read this from their website.
>
> http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/sphinx/tutorial.html

> On Linux machines, you can set up the scripts to take advantage of
> multiple CPUs. To do this, edit etc/sphinx_train.cfg, change the line
> defining the variable $CFG_NPART to match the number of CPUs in your
> system, and edit the line defining $CFG_QUEUE_TYPE to the following:
>
> # Queue::POSIX for multiple CPUs on a local machine
> # Queue::PBS to use a PBS/TORQUE queue
> $CFG_QUEUE_TYPE = "Queue::POSIX";
>
> Just wondering if it is only for Linux or it is applicable for OpenBSD too?
>
> Since you said it is transparent to the programs.

Depends on how parallelism is achieved in this application. If
multiple processes are used, then it can help. If multiple threads are
used, then not. I'd say, just try it.

        -Otto

On 5/12/07, Otto Moerbeek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 May 2007, Siju George wrote:
> >
> > I was trying to install the CMU Sphinx speech recognition software (
> > to convert a few mp3s into text ) on 4.1 current and
> > read this from their website.
> >
> > http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/sphinx/tutorial.html

> > On Linux machines, you can set up the scripts to take advantage of
> > multiple CPUs. To do this, edit etc/sphinx_train.cfg, change the line
> > defining the variable $CFG_NPART to match the number of CPUs in your
> > system, and edit the line defining $CFG_QUEUE_TYPE to the following:
> >
> > # Queue::POSIX for multiple CPUs on a local machine
> > # Queue::PBS to use a PBS/TORQUE queue
> > $CFG_QUEUE_TYPE = "Queue::POSIX";
> >
> > Just wondering if it is only for Linux or it is applicable for OpenBSD too?
> >
> > Since you said it is transparent to the programs.
>
> Depends on how parallelism is achieved in this application. If
> multiple processes are used, then it can help. If multiple threads are
> used, then not. I'd say, just try it.
>
>         -Otto

alright Otto :-) will do that!!

Thankyou Somuch