Clustering using OpenBSD

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Clustering using OpenBSD

Gabriel George POPA
            Hello all,

   I'm planning to deploy a small cluster behind my firewall (for test
purposes). What would be the recommender program
to use for clustering and wht can it do? Where should I start? I have 5
workstations (1GHz Intel Celeron)+server 3GHz Intel P4.
I know several ways of "clustering", but I ask you because you might
know what is the best method to use with OpenBSD.
Oh, and what's with that picture on www.openbsd.org (lower-right corner)?

                                                                       
Respectfully yours,
                                                                             
Gabriel George POPA

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clustering using OpenBSD

Patrick Boyer
On 1/29/06, Gabriel George POPA <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>             Hello all,
>
>    I'm planning to deploy a small cluster behind my firewall (for test
> purposes). What would be the recommender program
> to use for clustering and wht can it do? Where should I start? I have 5
> workstations (1GHz Intel Celeron)+server 3GHz Intel P4.
> I know several ways of "clustering", but I ask you because you might
> know what is the best method to use with OpenBSD.
> Oh, and what's with that picture on www.openbsd.org (lower-right corner)?
>
>
> Respectfully yours,
>
> Gabriel George POPA
>
>
What kind of cluster do you want to create? There are essentially three
types: high availability/failover, load-balancing, and high performance
computing. Each requires very different approaches. Let us know more about
the problem you're trying to solve and we can give you more info.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clustering using OpenBSD

Joachim Schipper
On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 07:55:07AM -0500, Patrick Boyer wrote:

> On 1/29/06, Gabriel George POPA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >             Hello all,
> >
> >    I'm planning to deploy a small cluster behind my firewall (for test
> > purposes). What would be the recommender program
> > to use for clustering and wht can it do? Where should I start? I have 5
> > workstations (1GHz Intel Celeron)+server 3GHz Intel P4.
> > I know several ways of "clustering", but I ask you because you might
> > know what is the best method to use with OpenBSD.
> > Oh, and what's with that picture on www.openbsd.org (lower-right corner)?
>
> What kind of cluster do you want to create? There are essentially three
> types: high availability/failover, load-balancing, and high performance
> computing. Each requires very different approaches. Let us know more about
> the problem you're trying to solve and we can give you more info.

Not to mention that it makes quite a bit of a difference what you are
running on the cluster. A highly-available firewall cluster is very
different from a high-performance cluster for scientific computing.

                Joachim

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clustering using OpenBSD

Nick Holland
In reply to this post by Gabriel George POPA
Gabriel George POPA wrote:
...
> Oh, and what's with that picture on www.openbsd.org (lower-right corner)?

It is a cluster of computers using OpenBSD.

Nick.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clustering using OpenBSD

Steven Shockley
Nick Holland wrote:
>> Oh, and what's with that picture on www.openbsd.org (lower-right corner)?
>
> It is a cluster of computers using OpenBSD.

They're all firewalls; Theo gets hit with a lot of malicious traffic.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clustering using OpenBSD

michael enoma aghayere
> They're all firewalls; Theo gets hit with a lot of malicious traffic.
>
>
s/gets hit with/attracts

*ducks*

--
~michael