Chromium GPU Acceleration

Robert Nagy
Hey,

So if anyone out there having an old chromium profile and having issues
with video playback or high CPU usage should listen and check some stuff
out.

First of all navigate to chromium://gpu and check if you have hardware
acceleration enabled, if you do, there is nothing to do you can stop
reading this email, on the other hand if it says that you are software
accelarted only, quit chrome then start chrome with the --ignore-gpu-blacklist
flag then quit chrome again and start using it the way you did before.
It is only necessary to start chrome with this flag once, then you can skip it.

It turns out that at one point chromium had an issue and flipped a switch
in your profile that turns GPU acceleration off. This issue got fixed
at one point since then but you actually have to manually force it to
ignore the gpu blacklist to make it work again.
If you have recently created a new profile, you should not have this
issue, but the chrome://gpu page can tell you what's going on.

We have an old profile saved that suffers from this issue and I am going
try to figure it out and come up with a fix so that you don't have
to start chrome with the --ignore-gpu-blacklist flag.

Re: Chromium GPU Acceleration

Jona Joachim
On 2014-06-21, Robert Nagy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> So if anyone out there having an old chromium profile and having issues
> with video playback or high CPU usage should listen and check some stuff
> out.
>
> First of all navigate to chromium://gpu and check if you have hardware
> acceleration enabled, if you do, there is nothing to do you can stop
> reading this email, on the other hand if it says that you are software
> accelarted only, quit chrome then start chrome with the --ignore-gpu-blacklist
> flag then quit chrome again and start using it the way you did before.
> It is only necessary to start chrome with this flag once, then you can skip it.

Thanks, that worked for me. Before I used the flag, it used software
only and afterwards it uses 3D acceleration.
The URI is actually "chrome://gpu", not "chromium://gpu".

Cheers,
Jona

Re: Chromium GPU Acceleration

Paul Irofti-4
On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 11:28:36AM +0200, Robert Nagy wrote:

> Hey,
>
> So if anyone out there having an old chromium profile and having issues
> with video playback or high CPU usage should listen and check some stuff
> out.
>
> First of all navigate to chromium://gpu and check if you have hardware
> acceleration enabled, if you do, there is nothing to do you can stop
> reading this email, on the other hand if it says that you are software
> accelarted only, quit chrome then start chrome with the --ignore-gpu-blacklist
> flag then quit chrome again and start using it the way you did before.
> It is only necessary to start chrome with this flag once, then you can skip it.
>
> It turns out that at one point chromium had an issue and flipped a switch
> in your profile that turns GPU acceleration off. This issue got fixed
> at one point since then but you actually have to manually force it to
> ignore the gpu blacklist to make it work again.
> If you have recently created a new profile, you should not have this
> issue, but the chrome://gpu page can tell you what's going on.
>
> We have an old profile saved that suffers from this issue and I am going
> try to figure it out and come up with a fix so that you don't have
> to start chrome with the --ignore-gpu-blacklist flag.

Actually I still have the problem after running with
--ignore-gpu-blacklist.

Ignoring blacklist:
        Graphics Feature Status
        Canvas: Hardware accelerated
        3D CSS: Hardware accelerated
        Compositing: Hardware accelerated
        CSS Animation: Accelerated
        Flash 3D: Hardware accelerated
        Flash Stage3D: Hardware accelerated
        Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Hardware accelerated
        Video: Hardware accelerated
        Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
        WebGL: Hardware accelerated

Regular run:
        Graphics Feature Status
        Canvas: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
        3D CSS: Hardware accelerated
        Compositing: Hardware accelerated
        CSS Animation: Accelerated
        Flash 3D: Hardware accelerated
        Flash Stage3D: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable
        Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration
        unavailable
        Video: Hardware accelerated
        Video Decode: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
        WebGL: Hardware accelerated

I run chrome w/o any flags or tweaks:
        $ chrome --ignore-gpu-blacklist
        ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by
        environment.
        $ chrome
        ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by
        environment.

And my chrome version is:
        $ chrome --version
        Chromium 34.0.1847.116

Re: Chromium GPU Acceleration

Robert Nagy
Paul, what you have is normal. The flag overrides everything. What you see
at the regular part is normal.

On June 21, 2014 6:10:21 PM Paul Irofti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 11:28:36AM +0200, Robert Nagy wrote:
> > Hey,
> > So if anyone out there having an old chromium profile and having issues
> > with video playback or high CPU usage should listen and check some stuff
> > out.
> > First of all navigate to chromium://gpu and check if you have hardware
> > acceleration enabled, if you do, there is nothing to do you can stop
> > reading this email, on the other hand if it says that you are software
> > accelarted only, quit chrome then start chrome with the
> --ignore-gpu-blacklist
> > flag then quit chrome again and start using it the way you did before.
> > It is only necessary to start chrome with this flag once, then you can
> skip it.
> > It turns out that at one point chromium had an issue and flipped a switch
> > in your profile that turns GPU acceleration off. This issue got fixed
> > at one point since then but you actually have to manually force it to
> > ignore the gpu blacklist to make it work again.
> > If you have recently created a new profile, you should not have this
> > issue, but the chrome://gpu page can tell you what's going on.
> > We have an old profile saved that suffers from this issue and I am going
> > try to figure it out and come up with a fix so that you don't have
> > to start chrome with the --ignore-gpu-blacklist flag.
> >
> Actually I still have the problem after running with
> --ignore-gpu-blacklist.
>
> Ignoring blacklist:
> Graphics Feature Status
> Canvas: Hardware accelerated
> 3D CSS: Hardware accelerated
> Compositing: Hardware accelerated
> CSS Animation: Accelerated
> Flash 3D: Hardware accelerated
> Flash Stage3D: Hardware accelerated
> Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Hardware accelerated
> Video: Hardware accelerated
> Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
> WebGL: Hardware accelerated
>
> Regular run:
> Graphics Feature Status
> Canvas: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
> 3D CSS: Hardware accelerated
> Compositing: Hardware accelerated
> CSS Animation: Accelerated
> Flash 3D: Hardware accelerated
> Flash Stage3D: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable
> Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration
> unavailable
> Video: Hardware accelerated
> Video Decode: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
> WebGL: Hardware accelerated
>
> I run chrome w/o any flags or tweaks:
> $ chrome --ignore-gpu-blacklist
> ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by
> environment.
> $ chrome ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by
> environment.
>
> And my chrome version is:
> $ chrome --version
> Chromium 34.0.1847.116

Re: Chromium GPU Acceleration

Kenneth R Westerback-2
On 21 June 2014 12:10, Paul Irofti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 11:28:36AM +0200, Robert Nagy wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> So if anyone out there having an old chromium profile and having issues
>> with video playback or high CPU usage should listen and check some stuff
>> out.
>>
>> First of all navigate to chromium://gpu and check if you have hardware
>> acceleration enabled, if you do, there is nothing to do you can stop
>> reading this email, on the other hand if it says that you are software
>> accelarted only, quit chrome then start chrome with the --ignore-gpu-blacklist
>> flag then quit chrome again and start using it the way you did before.
>> It is only necessary to start chrome with this flag once, then you can skip it.
>>
>> It turns out that at one point chromium had an issue and flipped a switch
>> in your profile that turns GPU acceleration off. This issue got fixed
>> at one point since then but you actually have to manually force it to
>> ignore the gpu blacklist to make it work again.
>> If you have recently created a new profile, you should not have this
>> issue, but the chrome://gpu page can tell you what's going on.
>>
>> We have an old profile saved that suffers from this issue and I am going
>> try to figure it out and come up with a fix so that you don't have
>> to start chrome with the --ignore-gpu-blacklist flag.
>>

> Actually I still have the problem after running with
> --ignore-gpu-blacklist.
>
> Ignoring blacklist:
>         Graphics Feature Status
>         Canvas: Hardware accelerated
>         3D CSS: Hardware accelerated
>         Compositing: Hardware accelerated
>         CSS Animation: Accelerated
>         Flash 3D: Hardware accelerated
>         Flash Stage3D: Hardware accelerated
>         Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Hardware accelerated
>         Video: Hardware accelerated
>         Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
>         WebGL: Hardware accelerated
>
> Regular run:
>         Graphics Feature Status
>         Canvas: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
>         3D CSS: Hardware accelerated
>         Compositing: Hardware accelerated
>         CSS Animation: Accelerated
>         Flash 3D: Hardware accelerated
>         Flash Stage3D: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable
>         Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration
>         unavailable
>         Video: Hardware accelerated
>         Video Decode: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
>         WebGL: Hardware accelerated
>
> I run chrome w/o any flags or tweaks:
>         $ chrome --ignore-gpu-blacklist
>         ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by
>         environment.
>         $ chrome
>         ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by
>         environment.
>
> And my chrome version is:
>         $ chrome --version
>         Chromium 34.0.1847.116

chrome://gpu/

was the only thing that worked for me. 'chromium' or leaving off the
trailing slash just dumped me into google search results. Don't know
if that is significant. :-)

I'm running

$ chrome --version
Chromium 35.0.1916.155
$

on an amd64 desktop. '--ignore-gpu-blacklist' does seem to enable the
youtube video I tried. But as pirofti@ says, it doesn't stick for me.

And typing has become *very* slow. I feel like I'm using a 300baud
modem as I type this into gmail. :-)

.... Ken

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 07:11:56PM +0200, Robert Nagy wrote:
> Paul, what you have is normal. The flag overrides everything. What you see
> at the regular part is normal.

Oh, okay. Thanks and sorry about the noise then.

Re: Chromium GPU Acceleration

Aaron Bieber
This makes everything fantastic for me.. CSS transitions and video all work
again!