Cavium ThunderX support?

Diana Eichert
Do any of the developers have access to the following system?

Gigabyte R270-T68 (rev. 100)
http://b2b.gigabyte.com/ARM-Server/R270-T68-rev-100#ov

It has qty 2 dual 48 core Cavium ThunderX CPUs.

At work we have a couple in our network lab running Linux.

I know FreeBSD supports Cavium ThunderX,
https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm64#Cavium_ThunderX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLgc4FJLJ3Y&feature=youtu.be

thanks
diana

Re: Cavium ThunderX support?

Mark Kettenis
> Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 13:08:20 -0700 (MST)
> From: Diana Eichert <[hidden email]>
>
> Do any of the developers have access to the following system?
>
> Gigabyte R270-T68 (rev. 100)
> http://b2b.gigabyte.com/ARM-Server/R270-T68-rev-100#ov
>
> It has qty 2 dual 48 core Cavium ThunderX CPUs.
>
> At work we have a couple in our network lab running Linux.

Unfortunately we don't.  It'd be interesting to support these machines
as it is one of the few proper arm64 servers that is actually
available on the market.  And we're making progress with arm64 SMP
support.  Unfortunately even the entry-level models are a bit too
expensive for me to buy as a toy.

Re: Cavium ThunderX support?

Diana Eichert
Hi Mark

I'm in contact with Cavium regarding OpenBSD, however I'm not sure
what level of interest Cavium has in supporting anything besides
Linux.  My initial impression is they don't believe in "if they
build it, they will come" perspective, therefore the Catch22 effect
is in place.  I know, a lot of US catch phrases.

I followed up with my Cavium contacts today, hopefully I can get
someone from Cavium engaged in a conversation with one of you.

I do think the Cavium ThunderX h/w is real server iron, in contrast
to more typical short lived low cost hardware designs.

diana