Catastrophic

Justin Noor
Hello community,

I'm looking for any advice on how to troubleshoot some strange and
catastrophic behavior on my OpenBSD machine. Seemingly out of nowhere, it
started freezing to the extent that only a forced shutdown (holding down
the power button) gets me out of it. I suspect it's some kind of hardware
failure, but I'm not 100% sure. It crashes when xenodm is running.
Especially with firefox--it crashes instantly. If I disable xenodm it runs
fine. I am unable to send any log files or anything. I had to send this
email from a different machine. I can take pictures of log files and
transfer the information, but I'm not sure where to start. Any feedback
would be greatly appreciated.

Machine specs:

Version: 6.6 Current (always up-to-date)
Architecture: amd64
Kernel: '$ uname -a' OpenBSD myhost.myhost.com 6.6 GENERIC#601 amd64
Chipset: AMD Ryzen 5
GPU: Radeon RX 560 series, amdgpu0: msi

Thank you,

Justin Noor

Re: Catastrophic

Rares Aioanei-3
A full dmesg would certainly help. Also, do you see anything in
/var/log/messages?

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 4:01 PM Justin Noor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello community,
>
> I'm looking for any advice on how to troubleshoot some strange and
> catastrophic behavior on my OpenBSD machine. Seemingly out of nowhere, it
> started freezing to the extent that only a forced shutdown (holding down
> the power button) gets me out of it. I suspect it's some kind of hardware
> failure, but I'm not 100% sure. It crashes when xenodm is running.
> Especially with firefox--it crashes instantly. If I disable xenodm it runs
> fine. I am unable to send any log files or anything. I had to send this
> email from a different machine. I can take pictures of log files and
> transfer the information, but I'm not sure where to start. Any feedback
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Machine specs:
>
> Version: 6.6 Current (always up-to-date)
> Architecture: amd64
> Kernel: '$ uname -a' OpenBSD myhost.myhost.com 6.6 GENERIC#601 amd64
> Chipset: AMD Ryzen 5
> GPU: Radeon RX 560 series, amdgpu0: msi
>
> Thank you,
>
> Justin Noor

Re: Catastrophic

Ottavio Caruso
On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 at 13:59, Justin Noor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello community,
>
> I'm looking for any advice on how to troubleshoot some strange and
> catastrophic behavior on my OpenBSD machine. Seemingly out of nowhere, it
> started freezing to the extent that only a forced shutdown (holding down
> the power button) gets me out of it. I suspect it's some kind of hardware
> failure, but I'm not 100% sure. It crashes when xenodm is running.
> Especially with firefox--it crashes instantly. If I disable xenodm it runs
> fine. I am unable to send any log files or anything. I had to send this
> email from a different machine. I can take pictures of log files and
> transfer the information, but I'm not sure where to start. Any feedback
> would be greatly appreciated.

You should have old copies of messages in /var/log:

oc@OpenBSD:~$ ls /var/log/messages*
/var/log/messages          /var/log/messages.1.gz
/var/log/messages.0.gz     /var/log/messages.2.gz

Ottavio Caruso

Re: Catastrophic

Stuart Longland
On 27/1/20 11:59 pm, Justin Noor wrote:
> I am unable to send any log files or anything. I had to send this
> email from a different machine. I can take pictures of log files and
> transfer the information, but I'm not sure where to start.

A `dmesg` before the crash would at least tell us whether there's
problematic hardware/drivers in use.  Even though it's not taken at the
moment of the crash doesn't mean it's worthless.

Has the machine got a serial port?  Maybe you could hook that up to a
logging terminal emulator on another computer via a null-modem cable?
(It may need to be a PCI(e)-connected serial port rather than USB, not
many OSes support serial console over USB due to the complexities of USB
itself.)

Maybe you could configure syslogd(8) to send its logs via UDP to a
syslog on another computer?  It might not catch the very last log
messages, but maybe might capture enough?
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

Re: Catastrophic

Justin Noor
Yes the machine runs without X. I can scp a copy of my dmesg to a remote
machine and go from there. Will be in touch soon. Thank you.