Cannot boot version 3.8 on HP pavilion 422

Cannot boot version 3.8 on HP pavilion 422

Lionel Vidal
I tried to boot the new 3.8 version on a (rather old) PC,
a HP pavilion 422.fr.  I tried both to boot from cdrom38.fs
and floppy38.fs and the result is the same :

OpenBSD i386 BOOT 2.10
boot>
booting fd0a:/bsd: 3263620
Entry point at 0x100120

.... Lots of blue-background infos ....
.... CD-Rom, DVD-Rom, nvidia cards OK ...
.... Keyboard OK (a logitech wireless) after a while ...

fdc0 at ISA port 0x3f0/6 Irq 6 drq 2
fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec

... And then nothing... I waited for some time but the PC is frozen,
and the only thing to do is to unplug it.

Note that the hardware works well : on the 80Go HD, I have an old Win89SE
(10Go) and FreeBSD 5.4 (10Go) and I can boot both (my intend was to
dedicate that PC to OpenBSD).

Sorry to not give the whole log of messages, but I cannot copy them
except by writing them fast on paper. I could get some specific part
if required though.

Any ideas? (Sorry if I did wrong something obvious :-)

Lionel Vidal

Re: Cannot boot version 3.8 on HP pavilion 422

Tony Lambiris
Try:
boot -c
disable fdc

Lionel Vidal wrote:

> I tried to boot the new 3.8 version on a (rather old) PC,
> a HP pavilion 422.fr.  I tried both to boot from cdrom38.fs
> and floppy38.fs and the result is the same :
>
> OpenBSD i386 BOOT 2.10
> boot>
> booting fd0a:/bsd: 3263620
> Entry point at 0x100120
>
> .... Lots of blue-background infos ....
> .... CD-Rom, DVD-Rom, nvidia cards OK ...
> .... Keyboard OK (a logitech wireless) after a while ...
>
> fdc0 at ISA port 0x3f0/6 Irq 6 drq 2
> fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
>

> ... And then nothing... I waited for some time but the PC is frozen,
> and the only thing to do is to unplug it.
>
> Note that the hardware works well : on the 80Go HD, I have an old Win89SE
> (10Go) and FreeBSD 5.4 (10Go) and I can boot both (my intend was to
> dedicate that PC to OpenBSD).
>
> Sorry to not give the whole log of messages, but I cannot copy them
> except by writing them fast on paper. I could get some specific part
> if required though.
>
> Any ideas? (Sorry if I did wrong something obvious :-)

Re: Cannot boot version 3.8 on HP pavilion 422

Rogier Krieger
On 11/10/05, Lionel Vidal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry to not give the whole log of messages, but I cannot copy them
> except by writing them fast on paper. I could get some specific part
> if required though.

Try attaching a serial console. See the FAQ [1] for more details. You
will want to add a dmesg output to your report; it will make it easier
for others to help you.

> Any ideas? (Sorry if I did wrong something obvious :-)

Booting the kernel with verbose output to see which device (if any)
gets in the way. You can then try disabling that particular device.

I remember having similar symptoms, albeit on a different system than
yours. Disabling ahc(4) did the trick for my particular case, although
I don't know why it got in the way.

Cheers,

Rogier

If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there.

Rogier Krieger <[hidden email]> writes:
> Try attaching a serial console. See the FAQ [1] for more details. You
> will want to add a dmesg output to your report; it will make it easier
> for others to help you.

Unfortunately, I have none. But I miss the keyboard feel of my old
Digital VT220... well that is another story and now an old one :-)

> Booting the kernel with verbose output to see which device (if any)
> gets in the way. You can then try disabling that particular device.
> I remember having similar symptoms, albeit on a different system than
> yours. Disabling ahc(4) did the trick for my particular case, although
> I don't know why it got in the way.

Thanks for the advice. I set the verbose option and found that indeed
also in my configuration, the probe on ahc make the PC freeze.
After disabling it, it works fine.
Now in the process of installing version 3.8!

Again, I thank you a lot!
Sorry for the trouble: I should have thought to try it.

Lionel Vidal

Re: Cannot boot version 3.8 on HP pavilion 422

Stuart Henderson
--On 10 November 2005 19:11 +0100, Lionel Vidal wrote:

> Rogier Krieger <[hidden email]> writes:
>> Try attaching a serial console. See the FAQ [1] for more details. You
>> will want to add a dmesg output to your report; it will make it
>> easier for others to help you.
>
> Unfortunately, I have none. But I miss the keyboard feel of my old
> Digital VT220... well that is another story and now an old one :-)

A PC with a null-modem lead will make a substitute better-suited to
this task since you can copy-and-paste the output into an email.