Can't get VM_UVMEXP: Cannot allocate memory 3.8 GENERIC

Can't get VM_UVMEXP: Cannot allocate memory 3.8 GENERIC

Thomas Börnert
Hi List,

i've a problem with 3.8

systat vm

shows this error above and no memory values ...

BUT:

if i'm using the original kernel from the 3.8 cd
that it works without this error.

BUT:

if i build the 3.8 GENERIC kernel by myself without
any changes pf the GENERIC config, then the error appears.

With 3.7 or older no problem.

Whats the difference between the builded 3.8 GENERIC
kernel on CD and the GENERIC config on the original
source CD ?

Thanks for help.

Thomas Boernert

Re: Can't get VM_UVMEXP: Cannot allocate memory 3.8 GENERIC

Nick Holland
Thomas Bvrnert wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> i've a problem with 3.8
>
> systat vm
>
> shows this error above and no memory values ...
>
> BUT:
>
> if i'm using the original kernel from the 3.8 cd
> that it works without this error.
>
> BUT:
>
> if i build the 3.8 GENERIC kernel by myself without
> any changes pf the GENERIC config, then the error appears.
>
> With 3.7 or older no problem.
>
> Whats the difference between the builded 3.8 GENERIC
> kernel on CD and the GENERIC config on the original
> source CD ?

Due to lack of details, I'm going to make a quick guess that you mixed a
-current kernel with a -release userland.  Don't do that.

See FAQ 5 for more info.

Nick.

Re: Can't get VM_UVMEXP: Cannot allocate memory 3.8 GENERIC

Thomas Börnert
i wrote "cd" it mean "compact disc" and there is no
-current on the "cd". i had mixed something.

Thomas

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Nick Holland wrote:

> Thomas Bvrnert wrote:
> > Hi List,
> >
> > i've a problem with 3.8
> >
> > systat vm
> >
> > shows this error above and no memory values ...
> >
> > BUT:
> >
> > if i'm using the original kernel from the 3.8 cd
> > that it works without this error.
> >
> > BUT:
> >
> > if i build the 3.8 GENERIC kernel by myself without
> > any changes pf the GENERIC config, then the error appears.
> >
> > With 3.7 or older no problem.
> >
> > Whats the difference between the builded 3.8 GENERIC
> > kernel on CD and the GENERIC config on the original
> > source CD ?
>
> Due to lack of details, I'm going to make a quick guess that you mixed a
> -current kernel with a -release userland.  Don't do that.
>
> See FAQ 5 for more info.
>
> Nick.

Re: Can't get VM_UVMEXP: Cannot allocate memory 3.8 GENERIC

Thomas Börnert
you wrote "due to lack of details"

what details do you need ?

it's quite simple: i use only the brand new 3.8 cd.
no stuff from the internet.

build a new GENERIC kernel

cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf
config GENERIC
cd ../compile/GENERIC
make clean && make depend && make
make install

thats it !

and than i got this error by executing the command

systat vm

Thanks

--
Mit freundlichen Gr|_en
Best regards

Thomas Bvrnert
Geschdftsf|hrer
Senior IT Consultant & Manager
BSI lizenzierter IT-Grundschutz Auditor

DO NOT GIVE OUR ADDRESS TO THIRD PARTYS, WE HATE JUNK-MAIL
TBits.net GmbH                  | Telefon:  +49 (0)7172 18391-0
Thomas Bvrnert                  | Telefax:  +49 (0)7172 18391-99
Seeweg 6                        | Service:  +49 (0)700 TBITSNET
D-73553 Alfdorf                 | Auto:     +49 (0)170 6744415
www.tbits.net                   | eMail:    [hidden email]
Key fingerprint = 8602 2EF5 78FD 3C04 B148  2506 5D4F 6A49 E4E2 9D15