Can't boot Loongson after upgrade from 5.2 -> 5.3

Can't boot Loongson after upgrade from 5.2 -> 5.3

John Long-4
Sorry if this is duplicated. Been a few hours since I sent it and did not
see it hit the list. Also did not find it on marc or gmane.

Has anyone done a successful upgrade from Loongson 5.2 to 5.3? I've done
upgrades on numerous platforms and this is the only one I've ever had
problems with. The upgrade seemed to go fine and finish normally. After the
reboot it goes from the Lemote Dragon screen to a black screen and stops
there.

After this didn't work I tried copying boot and bsd from the install media
to their correct locations on the installed system. Rebooting also no joy.

If I try booting manually from pmon into my installed system it stops:

PMON> boot -k /dev/fs/ext2@wd0/boot/boot
(elf)
0x81e20000/44368 + 0x81e2ad50/4400(z) +
>> OpenBSD/loongson BOOT 0.3
booting wd0a:/bsd: 4988544+588976=0x551db0
804dfe94 0000a088 .word 0000a088         #  . . . .
PMON>

Cluebats graciously anticipated.

/jl

--
ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
 against HTML e-mail   X  Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD
 Encrypted email preferred  PGP Key 2048R/DA65BC04

Re: Can't boot Loongson after upgrade from 5.2 -> 5.3

John Long-4
A fresh install also doesn't boot and using PMON to boot into it fails the
same way as on the old install. Well crap. That was unexpected.

PMON> boot -k /dev/fs/ext2@wd0/boot/boot
(elf)
0x81e20000/44368 + 0x81e2ad50/4400(z) +
>> OpenBSD/loongson BOOT 0.3
booting wd0a:/bsd: 4988544+588976=0x551db0
804fde94 0000a088 .word   0000a088      # . . . .
PMON>

Thanks,

/jl

--
ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
 against HTML e-mail   X  Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD
   and proprietary    / \    http://www.mutt.org
     attachments     /   \  Code Blue or Go Home!
 Encrypted email preferred  PGP Key 2048R/DA65BC04

Re: Can't boot Loongson after upgrade from 5.2 -> 5.3

Bryan Irvine
but it booted and ran the installer?

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 11:17:57AM -0700, Bryan Irvine wrote:
> but it booted and ran the installer?

Yes. There appears to be a problem with the kernel.

I just tried something interesting. I booted the installer and used the
shell to save bsd as obsd on the installed system and then ln -s bsd.rd bsd
and reboot and it comes up with the bsd.rd kernel. It cannot boot the bsd
kernel for some reason.

--
ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
 against HTML e-mail   X  Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD
   and proprietary    / \    http://www.mutt.org
     attachments     /   \  Code Blue or Go Home!
 Encrypted email preferred  PGP Key 2048R/DA65BC04

re: Can't boot Loongson after upgrade from 5.2 ->  5.3

gilbert.fernandes
Did not upgrade mine yet.

Wait for Miod's answer. He's the best person for knowledge on this platform.

> Message du 19/06/13 17:09
> De : "John Long"
> A : [hidden email]
> Copie à :
> Objet : Can't boot Loongson after upgrade from 5.2 ->  5.3
>
> Sorry if this is duplicated. Been a few hours since I sent it and did not
> see it hit the list. Also did not find it on marc or gmane.
>
> Has anyone done a successful upgrade from Loongson 5.2 to 5.3? I've done
> upgrades on numerous platforms and this is the only one I've ever had
> problems with. The upgrade seemed to go fine and finish normally. After the
> reboot it goes from the Lemote Dragon screen to a black screen and stops
> there.
>
> After this didn't work I tried copying boot and bsd from the install media
> to their correct locations on the installed system. Rebooting also no joy.
>
> If I try booting manually from pmon into my installed system it stops:
>
> PMON> boot -k /dev/fs/ext2@wd0/boot/boot
> (elf)
> 0x81e20000/44368 + 0x81e2ad50/4400(z) +
> >> OpenBSD/loongson BOOT 0.3
> booting wd0a:/bsd: 4988544+588976=0x551db0
> 804dfe94 0000a088 .word 0000a088 # . . . .
> PMON>
>
> Cluebats graciously anticipated.
>
> /jl
>
> --
> ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
> against HTML e-mail X Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD
> and proprietary / \ http://www.mutt.org
> attachments / \ Code Blue or Go Home!
> Encrypted email preferred PGP Key 2048R/DA65BC04

Re: Can't boot Loongson after upgrade from 5.2 -> 5.3 update

John Long-4
An update...the bsd.rd kernel boots from / but not bsd. bsd from snapshots
also boots. Looks like there is some problem with bsd in loongson 5.3
release.

/jl

--
ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
 against HTML e-mail   X  Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD
   and proprietary    / \    http://www.mutt.org
     attachments     /   \  Code Blue or Go Home!
 Encrypted email preferred  PGP Key 2048R/DA65BC04

Re: Can't boot Loongson after upgrade from 5.2 -> 5.3

Miod Vallat
> A fresh install also doesn't boot and using PMON to boot into it fails the
> same way as on the old install. Well crap. That was unexpected.

If a new install fails, now that's something unexpected. Will installing
5.2 (which used to work) boot again?

Miod

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 07:53:30PM +0000, Miod Vallat wrote:
> > A fresh install also doesn't boot and using PMON to boot into it fails the
> > same way as on the old install. Well crap. That was unexpected.
>
> If a new install fails, now that's something unexpected. Will installing
> 5.2 (which used to work) boot again?

I haven't tried that but I have tried replacing boot and bsd from release
and I also tried using boot from 5.2 and that didn't work either.

The system will boot the installed bsd.rd from release as we would expect
given the installer runs ok and it will also boot bsd from the latest
snapshot. It looks like there is something wrong with the release bsd
kernel.

/jl

Re: Can't boot Loongson after upgrade from 5.2 -> 5.3 update

Miod Vallat
> An update...the bsd.rd kernel boots from / but not bsd. bsd from snapshots
> also boots. Looks like there is some problem with bsd in loongson 5.3
> release.

Where did you get your 5.3 release from? Did you check its md5?

Miod

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 08:10:17PM +0000, Miod Vallat wrote:
> > An update...the bsd.rd kernel boots from / but not bsd. bsd from snapshots
> > also boots. Looks like there is some problem with bsd in loongson 5.3
> > release.
>
> Where did you get your 5.3 release from? Did you check its md5?

That's it! Thank you.

I got release from ftp.openbsd.org. But the sha256 for bsd doesn't match
what's in SHA256. I'm used to ignoring those messages from snapshots so I
didn't catch it.

Checking the heanet mirror the sha256 matches the bsd I just downloaded from
there.

Just installed it and it works! What would we do with you, Miod?!

/jl

--
ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
 against HTML e-mail   X  Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD
   and proprietary    / \    http://www.mutt.org
     attachments     /   \  Code Blue or Go Home!
 Encrypted email preferred  PGP Key 2048R/DA65BC04

Can't boot Loongson after upgrade from 5.2 -> 5.3 update CLUEBAT

John Long-4
> > Where did you get your 5.3 release from? Did you check its md5?
>
> That's it! Thank you.

> I got release from ftp.openbsd.org. But the sha256 for bsd doesn't match
> what's in SHA256. I'm used to ignoring those messages from snapshots so I
> didn't catch it.

Cluebatting myself...apparently it was my choice of ftp client. Dammit. The
copy on ftp.openbsd.org is fine. The ftp client I used downloaded it in
ascii format instead of binary.

Sorry for wasting everyones time on this. I hate when this happens but
sometimes it takes more than one pair of eyes or somebody asking the right
question.

/jl