Can minecraft run on OpenBSD i386 with less than 2Gb Ram ?

Can minecraft run on OpenBSD i386 with less than 2Gb Ram ?

Tom Smyth
Hi all,
My 5 year old son as a laptop .. Running OpenBSD 6.5 stable and im trying
I figured current would be a little tricky for him :) ...
I have tried to get minecraft working on it but I think I probably don't
have enough ram...
I have tried upping the staff limits in limits .conf etc..
there also seems to be a bug with the current launcher that is included in
ports
as there is a "you need java script enabled to view this site" message
displayed on the launcher after you click the play button ...

Perhaps I just need to shell out for a laptop that will run x86-64 ..  :)

Kindest regards,
Tom Smyth.

Re: Can minecraft run on OpenBSD i386 with less than 2Gb Ram ?

Solène Rapenne-2
On Sat, Oct 05, 2019 at 12:20:09PM +0100, Tom Smyth wrote:

> Hi all,
> My 5 year old son as a laptop .. Running OpenBSD 6.5 stable and im trying
> I figured current would be a little tricky for him :) ...
> I have tried to get minecraft working on it but I think I probably don't
> have enough ram...
> I have tried upping the staff limits in limits .conf etc..
> there also seems to be a bug with the current launcher that is included in
> ports
> as there is a "you need java script enabled to view this site" message
> displayed on the launcher after you click the play button ...
>
> Perhaps I just need to shell out for a laptop that will run x86-64 ..  :)
>
> Kindest regards,
> Tom Smyth.

I think it can run, but you may prefer running games/minetest, it's an
opensource minecraft clone which requires a LOT less ressources and
which should bring a lot of fun too.

The main difference would be the lack of monsters, less blocks and no
redstone, but there are lots of mods to fill thoses gaps IIRC.

Re: Can minecraft run on OpenBSD i386 with less than 2Gb Ram ?

Edgar Pettijohn III-2

On Oct 5, 2019 8:02 AM, Solene Rapenne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 05, 2019 at 12:20:09PM +0100, Tom Smyth wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > My 5 year old son as a laptop .. Running OpenBSD 6.5 stable and im trying
> > I figured current would be a little tricky for him :) ...
> > I have tried to get minecraft working on it but I think I probably don't
> > have enough ram...
> > I have tried upping the staff limits in limits .conf etc..
> > there also seems to be a bug with the current launcher that is included in
> > ports
> > as there is a "you need java script enabled to view this site" message
> > displayed on the launcher after you click the play button ...
> >
> > Perhaps I just need to shell out for a laptop that will run x86-64 ..  :)
> >
> > Kindest regards,
> > Tom Smyth.
>
> I think it can run, but you may prefer running games/minetest, it's an
> opensource minecraft clone which requires a LOT less ressources and
> which should bring a lot of fun too.
>
> The main difference would be the lack of monsters, less blocks and no
> redstone, but there are lots of mods to fill thoses gaps IIRC.

I enjoyed minetest. He should too. My son eventually outgrew it and wanted the real deal at around 8. I don't remember if I tried to install it on OBSD or not. It currently lives on a Debian amd64 desktop where it runs pretty good. Plus there is an official .deb package which makes things easier for me.

Good luck.

Edgar