Can a touch screen with with a typical small arm device and OpenBSD?

Can a touch screen with with a typical small arm device and OpenBSD?

Haroon Khalid
Is there any example of a touch screen like this working with a beaglebone
or raspberry pi for example?

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1601

Re: Can a touch screen with with a typical small arm device and OpenBSD?

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado
On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 11:46:48AM -0700, Haroon Khalid wrote:
> Is there any example of a touch screen like this working with a beaglebone
> or raspberry pi for example?
>
> https://www.adafruit.com/product/1601

No, we don't have graphical support for the ARM boards yet.

Try with a "standard" (i.e. without special drivers) touch screen and
i386/amd64.

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

Re: Can a touch screen with with a typical small arm device and OpenBSD?

Tinker
Juan,

Re console:
Is there not even console graphics on the ARM boards yet, so only serial
interface?

Re X:
Using open-source drivers only, you can actually run X on the Mali GPU:s
(i.e. the chips in most ARM:s), unaccelerated.

Here's a video showing this on an EOMA68-A20 board in some Linux:
https://youtu.be/iM4cDjGY9vY?t=180 .

The low speed of the A20 CPU results in some flickering when switching
windows and tabs. I think on the modern ~2Ghz ARM:s e.g. RK3399, as its
single-thread and memory speed is approx 5x that of the A20, the
unaccelerated X should provide a perfect desktop experience (web
browsing, openoffice etc., anything except video decoding).

It would be super ultra cool to be able to do this on OpenBSD some day.

Tinker

On 2016-11-22 07:48, Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 11:46:48AM -0700, Haroon Khalid wrote:
>> Is there any example of a touch screen like this working with a
>> beaglebone
>> or raspberry pi for example?
>>
>> https://www.adafruit.com/product/1601
>
> No, we don't have graphical support for the ARM boards yet.
>
> Try with a "standard" (i.e. without special drivers) touch screen and
> i386/amd64.

Re: Can a touch screen with with a typical small arm device and OpenBSD?

Tinker
Look for the smallest AMD64-based with graphics on a real standard
chipset e.g. Intel and a standard touchscreen.

Intel boards are getting smaller these days, I don't know any with touch
on it and a premade case, but check
http://up-shop.org/up-boards/2-up-board-2gb-16-gb-emmc-memory.html ,
http://store.netgate.com/Turbot.aspx , and there are a bunch more
manufacturers of PicoITX etc. AMD64:s.

Feel free to share if you found anything.

I guess graphics on ARM on OpenBSD will take off at some point though
admittedly it's a dirty area. I wonder how clean that unacceleraded X on
MALI is really, didn't see the code or anything.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 10:05:40AM +0800, Tinker wrote:
> Juan,
>
> Re console:
> Is there not even console graphics on the ARM boards yet, so only serial
> interface?

The HDMI/Video port requires a KMS driver.

> Re X:
> Using open-source drivers only, you can actually run X on the Mali GPU:s
> (i.e. the chips in most ARM:s), unaccelerated.

IIRC, the most of ARM boards on Linux use a KMS driver + Xorg
modesetting driver. Anyway, the devs are working on more important
things for the platform.

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

Re: Can a touch screen with with a typical small arm device and OpenBSD?

Tinker
Juan,

Ok you're right this is unimportant. Just for completeness for now,

Is it possible to do an altogether opensource unaccellerated graphics
driver for MALI today, based on all sources you've seen out there?

Also what's KMS about, I see https://lwn.net/Articles/568169/ and
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/brezillon-drm-kms.pdf
but don't make too much sense, what's it about?

Anyhow yeah you're right there's much more important things like 64bit.

Tinker

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 08:17:27PM +0800, Tinker wrote:
> Juan,
>
> Ok you're right this is unimportant. Just for completeness for now,
>
> Is it possible to do an altogether opensource unaccellerated graphics driver
> for MALI today, based on all sources you've seen out there?

I don't know.

> Also what's KMS about, I see https://lwn.net/Articles/568169/ and http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/brezillon-drm-kms.pdf
> but don't make too much sense, what's it about?

KMS is the name used for the kernel driver on Linux. I don't know what
is the correct term for OpenBSD (our kernel also includes DRM, which is
an external lib on Linux).

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

Re: Can a touch screen with with a typical small arm device and OpenBSD?

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado
On martes, 22 de noviembre de 2016 15:00:03 (CET) Juan Francisco Cantero
Hurtado wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 08:17:27PM +0800, Tinker wrote:
> > Juan,
> >
> > Ok you're right this is unimportant. Just for completeness for now,
> >
> > Is it possible to do an altogether opensource unaccellerated
> > graphics driver for MALI today, based on all sources you've seen
> > out there?
>
> I don't know.
>
> > Also what's KMS about, I see https://lwn.net/Articles/568169/ and
> > http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/brezill
> > on-drm-kms.pdf but don't make too much sense, what's it about?
>
> KMS is the name used for the kernel driver on Linux. I don't know what
> is the correct term for OpenBSD (our kernel also includes DRM, which
> is an external lib on Linux).

I was mixing libdrm with the kernel drm here. Just ignore my comment.

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

Re: Can a touch screen with with a typical small arm device and OpenBSD?

Rob Sciuk

Enlightenment has a fairly efficient frame buffer type interface used in
embedded systems (refigerators, phones, watches etc) which can work on X11
or Wayland (IIRC).  That might solve the problem for OpenBSD/Arm.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Robert Sciuk                                                          [hidden email]
Wellesley, ON. N0B 2T0

Re: Can a touch screen with with a typical small arm device and OpenBSD?

Tinker
In the absence of MALI support, there are
  * Supported USB display adapters (
http://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man4/wsudl.4 +
http://man.openbsd.org/udl.4 ),
  * miniPCIe-based video adapters (
http://versalogic.com/Products/PDF/DS-MPEe-V5.pdf , not sure if that
chipset is supported), and
  * miniPCIe to PCIe adapters (
http://www.banggood.com/Mini-PCI-E-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1011222.html
) that you can plug an ordinary graphics card to.

iMX6 (supported) and RK3399 (not supported) have miniPCIe.

Not sure if iMX6' (mini)PCIe is supported on OpenBSD?

I guess otherwise the ARM architecture not brings any constraints in the
ability to use these.

On 2016-11-23 02:57, Rob Sciuk wrote:

> Enlightenment has a fairly efficient frame buffer type interface used
> in embedded systems (refigerators, phones, watches etc) which can work
> on X11 or Wayland (IIRC).  That might solve the problem for
> OpenBSD/Arm.
>

> On Tue, 22 Nov 2016, Tinker wrote:
>
>> Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 20:17:27 +0800
>> From: Tinker <[hidden email]>
>> To: Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado <[hidden email]>
>> Cc: Haroon Khalid <[hidden email]>, [hidden email],
>>     [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: Can a touch screen with with a typical small arm device
>> and
>>     OpenBSD?
>>
>> Juan,
>>
>> Ok you're right this is unimportant. Just for completeness for now,
>>
>> Is it possible to do an altogether opensource unaccellerated graphics
>> driver for MALI today, based on all sources you've seen out there?
>>
>> Also what's KMS about, I see https://lwn.net/Articles/568169/ and
>> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/brezillon-drm-kms.pdf
>> but don't make too much sense, what's it about?
>>
>> Anyhow yeah you're right there's much more important things like
>> 64bit.
>>
>> Tinker

>>> The HDMI/Video port requires a KMS driver.

>>> IIRC, the most of ARM boards on Linux use a KMS driver + Xorg
>>> modesetting driver. Anyway, the devs are working on more important
>>> things for the platform.

Re: Can a touch screen with with a typical small arm device and OpenBSD?

Haroon Khalid
Because typical small touch screens eg. those that work with Rpi are not
working with OpenBSD, does that mean the alternatives are pretty much going
to be at least 2-3x bigger in form size if a small handheld computer was to
be made?  I looked up USB display examples and that may seem like it can
work as the size is small and its just a tiny cable.

https://statics3.seeedstudio.com/product/USB%20TFT%20Display_03.jpg is this
an example of what you meant? I am can be optimistic about having a setup
like this versus a huge brick.