Can OpenBSD access BBC Iplayer?

Anthony Campbell
Greetings, list!

I'm a long-standing user of Linux (currently ArchLinux) who is just
trying out OpenBSD and so far is much impressed. I'm using a Thinkpad
T42.

The main outstanding problem at the moment is accessing BBC Iplayer,
which insists on my having Flashplayer installed.

After reading the FAQ and various lists I put libflashplayer.so in
~/.mozilla/plugins and installed the fedora_base package as suggested in
the FAQ. I still can't use Iplayer.

I saw somewhere that Chrome has inbuilt flashplayer but that doesn't
seem to be the case.

As a workaround I can use get_iplayer to download BBC programmes but is
it possible to get a browser to access Iplayer?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - [hidden email]
http://www.acupuncturecourse.org.uk
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/artist/anthony-campbell/id73235412

Re: Can OpenBSD access BBC Iplayer?

Fred Crowson-4
On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 08:57:34AM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> Greetings, list!
>
> I'm a long-standing user of Linux (currently ArchLinux) who is just
> trying out OpenBSD and so far is much impressed. I'm using a Thinkpad
> T42.
>
> The main outstanding problem at the moment is accessing BBC Iplayer,
> which insists on my having Flashplayer installed.
>
> After reading the FAQ and various lists I put libflashplayer.so in
> ~/.mozilla/plugins and installed the fedora_base package as suggested in
> the FAQ. I still can't use Iplayer.
>
> I saw somewhere that Chrome has inbuilt flashplayer but that doesn't
> seem to be the case.
>
> As a workaround I can use get_iplayer to download BBC programmes but is
> it possible to get a browser to access Iplayer?
>
> Anthony

Hi Anthony,

In the past I have managed to get flash to work on OpenBSD - but flash has not worked reliably....but not having flash is a positive feature for me ;~)

I have not managed to get iplayer to work in a browser.

If you succeed could you let misc@ know it would be useful for the archives.

Cheers

Fred

On 02 Sep 2014, Fred Crowson wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 08:57:34AM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > Greetings, list!
> >
> > I'm a long-standing user of Linux (currently ArchLinux) who is just
> > trying out OpenBSD and so far is much impressed. I'm using a Thinkpad
> > T42.
> >
> > The main outstanding problem at the moment is accessing BBC Iplayer,
> > which insists on my having Flashplayer installed.
> >
> > After reading the FAQ and various lists I put libflashplayer.so in
> > ~/.mozilla/plugins and installed the fedora_base package as suggested in
> > the FAQ. I still can't use Iplayer.
> >
> > I saw somewhere that Chrome has inbuilt flashplayer but that doesn't
> > seem to be the case.
> >
> > As a workaround I can use get_iplayer to download BBC programmes but is
> > it possible to get a browser to access Iplayer?
> >
> > Anthony
> >

> Hi Anthony,
>
> In the past I have managed to get flash to work on OpenBSD - but flash has not worked reliably....but not having flash is a positive feature for me ;~)
>
> I have not managed to get iplayer to work in a browser.
>
> If you succeed could you let misc@ know it would be useful for the archives.
>
> Cheers
>
> Fred

Thanks for the reply, which confirms what I suspected, viz. that it
isn't going to work. If I find a solution I'll certainly report it.

Anthony

On 2014-09-02, Anthony Campbell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As a workaround I can use get_iplayer to download BBC programmes but is

You can also use it to stream them live. Or some ISPs have live
multicast streams that VLC can play.

> it possible to get a browser to access Iplayer?

nope.

Re: Can OpenBSD access BBC Iplayer?

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera-2
On 2014-09-02 08:57, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> Greetings, list!
>
> I'm a long-standing user of Linux (currently ArchLinux) who is just
> trying out OpenBSD and so far is much impressed. I'm using a Thinkpad
> T42.
>
> The main outstanding problem at the moment is accessing BBC Iplayer,
> which insists on my having Flashplayer installed.
>
> After reading the FAQ and various lists I put libflashplayer.so in
> ~/.mozilla/plugins and installed the fedora_base package as suggested in
> the FAQ. I still can't use Iplayer.
>
> I saw somewhere that Chrome has inbuilt flashplayer but that doesn't
> seem to be the case.

For the record:
It's Google Chrome that has a builting PEPPER flash plugin. It's not part of
Chromium (the open source proyect), which is what actually runs on OpenBSD.

> As a workaround I can use get_iplayer to download BBC programmes but is
> it possible to get a browser to access Iplayer?
>
> Anthony
>
> --
> Anthony Campbell - [hidden email]
> http://www.acupuncturecourse.org.uk
> http://www.smashwords.com/profile.view/acampbell
> https://itunes.apple.com/ca/artist/anthony-campbell/id73235412

--
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera
A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.

On 02 Sep 2014, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2014-09-02, Anthony Campbell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > As a workaround I can use get_iplayer to download BBC programmes but is
>
> You can also use it to stream them live. Or some ISPs have live
> multicast streams that VLC can play.
>
> > it possible to get a browser to access Iplayer?
>
> nope.

I've tried live streaming with get_iplayer but it doesn't work at least
for the BBC, either TV or radio, It did at some time but I think the BBC
have changed things recently.

--
Anthony Campbell - [hidden email]
http://www.acupuncturecourse.org.uk
http://www.smashwords.com/profile.view/acampbell
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/artist/anthony-campbell/id73235412

Re: Can OpenBSD access BBC Iplayer?

David Coppa
On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Anthony Campbell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02 Sep 2014, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> On 2014-09-02, Anthony Campbell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > As a workaround I can use get_iplayer to download BBC programmes but is
>>
>> You can also use it to stream them live. Or some ISPs have live
>> multicast streams that VLC can play.
>>
>> > it possible to get a browser to access Iplayer?
>>
>> nope.
>
> I've tried live streaming with get_iplayer but it doesn't work at least
> for the BBC, either TV or radio, It did at some time but I think the BBC
> have changed things recently.

Our port is the latest release.

But have a look at what has changed between v2.86 and git's master:

https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/compare/v2.86...master

In particular, commits like "Updated SWF player URL" and "fix schedule
URLs and channel names" look suspicious...

Ciao,
David

Re: Can OpenBSD access BBC Iplayer?

Stuart Henderson
On 2014/09/03 11:56, David Coppa wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Anthony Campbell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> You can also use it to stream them live. Or some ISPs have live
> >> multicast streams that VLC can play.

> >> nope.
> >
> > I've tried live streaming with get_iplayer but it doesn't work at least
> > for the BBC, either TV or radio, It did at some time but I think the BBC
> > have changed things recently.

2.86 in -current ports works for streaming live radio for me (takes a little
while to start up but gets there after a while). Streaming recorded tv also
works fine. No tv license at my current address so I can't check streaming
live tv, maybe I'll try it when I'm visiting someone.

> Our port is the latest release.
>
> But have a look at what has changed between v2.86 and git's master:
>
> https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/compare/v2.86...master
>
> In particular, commits like "Updated SWF player URL" and "fix schedule
> URLs and channel names" look suspicious...

I'll pull them across but doubt they'll change anything.

The latter is just name tweaks for consistency in most cases, some minor
other changes but not in anything particularly important.

SWF player URL is usually for swf verification and problems there usually
exhibit themselves as starting off OK but then failing after downloading for
a while.

On 03 Sep 2014, David Coppa wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Anthony Campbell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> You can also use it to stream them live. Or some ISPs have live
> >> multicast streams that VLC can play.

> >> nope.
> >
> > I've tried live streaming with get_iplayer but it doesn't work at least
> > for the BBC, either TV or radio, It did at some time but I think the BBC
> > have changed things recently.
>
> Our port is the latest release.
>
> But have a look at what has changed between v2.86 and git's master:
>
> https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/compare/v2.86...master
>
> In particular, commits like "Updated SWF player URL" and "fix schedule
> URLs and channel names" look suspicious...
>
> Ciao,
> David

Thanks. I'm not using -current at the moment (I'm too new to OpenBSD) so
I'd better wait until the next release.

Could you kindly tell me which command line you use for live streaming?
I've found several versions on the net but am not sure which, if any, is
most likely to work.

Regards

Anthony

On 04 Sep 2014, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 03 Sep 2014, David Coppa wrote:
>
> Thanks. I'm not using -current at the moment (I'm too new to OpenBSD) so
> I'd better wait until the next release.
>
> Could you kindly tell me which command line you use for live streaming?
> I've found several versions on the net but am not sure which, if any, is
> most likely to work.

Sorry to follow up to myself, but I should say I took the obvious step
of downloading get_iplayer-2.86 from source and putting it in ~/bin.
Streaming works perfectly with this.

I'll use the "official" OpenBSD packkage when it arrives with the next
upgrade.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - [hidden email]
http://www.acupuncturecourse.org.uk
http://www.smashwords.com/profile.view/acampbell
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/artist/anthony-campbell/id73235412

Re: Can OpenBSD access BBC Iplayer?

Maxim Bourmistrov-5
BBC is propaganda, any way. Why should you watch this?!