Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

SOUL_OF_ROOT 55
Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

Re: Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

L. V. Lammert
On Mon, 26 Jun 2017, SOUL_OF_ROOT 55 wrote:

> Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

Yep, .. have had them for many years, VirtualBox & Xen.

        Lee

Re: Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

Thuban
* SOUL_OF_ROOT 55 <[hidden email]> le [26-06-2017 18:18:41 -0300]:
> Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

yes

Re: Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

Eric Furman-3
Your favorite Internet search engine is your friend.

> Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

Re: Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

Josh Stephens
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2017, SOUL_OF_ROOT 55 wrote:
>
> > Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?
> >
> Yep, .. have had them for many years, VirtualBox & Xen.
>
> Lee

I could be wrong when I say this but the only gotcha that you will run into
with virtual box will be the guest additions. I don’t think they are supported
on OpenBSD?

Re: Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

Ax0n
You'll find little official support on the lists for problems you have due
to the hypervisor, but I've found that OpenBSD works great in VirtualBox.
You can't get VirtualBox Guest Additions working, but judging from the
popularity of this post I wrote almost 8 years ago, and the comments on it,
this trick still works for many people to get an OpenBSD VM into
full-screen mode.

http://www.h-i-r.net/2009/11/virtualbox-full-screen-resolution-for.html

Don't expect acceleration, guest/host clipboard interacrion or anything
else fancy from Guest Additions, but the basics for a daily-use OpenBSD
desktop, such as Lumina or XFCE, various terminals, web browsers and the
like work fine in VBox.

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Josh Stephens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Mon, 26 Jun 2017, SOUL_OF_ROOT 55 wrote:
> >
> > > Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?
> > >
> > Yep, .. have had them for many years, VirtualBox & Xen.
> >
> > Lee
> >

> I could be wrong when I say this but the only gotcha that you will run into
> with virtual box will be the guest additions. I don’t think they are
> supported
> on OpenBSD?

Re: Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

bharper
I did not run into any issues running a server on KVM either.

On Jun 26, 2017 8:29 PM, "Ax0n" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You'll find little official support on the lists for problems you have due
> to the hypervisor, but I've found that OpenBSD works great in VirtualBox.
> You can't get VirtualBox Guest Additions working, but judging from the
> popularity of this post I wrote almost 8 years ago, and the comments on it,
> this trick still works for many people to get an OpenBSD VM into
> full-screen mode.
>
> http://www.h-i-r.net/2009/11/virtualbox-full-screen-resolution-for.html
>
> Don't expect acceleration, guest/host clipboard interacrion or anything
> else fancy from Guest Additions, but the basics for a daily-use OpenBSD
> desktop, such as Lumina or XFCE, various terminals, web browsers and the
> like work fine in VBox.

> > > Yep, .. have had them for many years, VirtualBox & Xen.
> > >
> > > Lee
> > >

> > I could be wrong when I say this but the only gotcha that you will run
> into
> > with virtual box will be the guest additions. I don’t think they are
> > supported
> > on OpenBSD?

Re: Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 06:18:41PM -0300, SOUL_OF_ROOT 55 wrote:
> Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

yes.

I've personally used OpenBSD as VMs on intel/amd rigs under virtualbox,
vmware, kvm and of course OpenBSD's very own vmm.

In addition the various 'cloud' providers such as Amazon, Microsoft and others
have tended to be usable and some are now even adding official support.

So the short answer applies. (In addition we hav LDOMs on SPARC64, and possibly
others I've forgotten just now)

On 2017-06-26, Josh Stephens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I could be wrong when I say this but the only gotcha that you will run into
> with virtual box will be the guest additions.

Does virtualbox still do that thing where it patches the running
kernel when it detects OpenBSD?

Re: Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

Alceu R. de Freitas Jr.
Yes, it does work, despite not having all the features due missing
support on the guest additions.

Here is another example: https://github.com/glasswalk3r/cpan-openbsd-smoker

Em 26/06/2017 22:06, Ax0n escreveu:

> You'll find little official support on the lists for problems you have due
> to the hypervisor, but I've found that OpenBSD works great in VirtualBox.
> You can't get VirtualBox Guest Additions working, but judging from the
> popularity of this post I wrote almost 8 years ago, and the comments on it,
> this trick still works for many people to get an OpenBSD VM into
> full-screen mode.
>
> http://www.h-i-r.net/2009/11/virtualbox-full-screen-resolution-for.html
>
> Don't expect acceleration, guest/host clipboard interacrion or anything
> else fancy from Guest Additions, but the basics for a daily-use OpenBSD
> desktop, such as Lumina or XFCE, various terminals, web browsers and the
> like work fine in VBox.

>>> Yep, .. have had them for many years, VirtualBox & Xen.
>>>
>>> Lee
>>>

>> I could be wrong when I say this but the only gotcha that you will run into
>> with virtual box will be the guest additions. I don’t think they are
>> supported
>> on OpenBSD?

Re: Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

Kevin Chadwick-4
Last I checked it did. I've even had Windows 8 hard lockups upon install of
virtualbox. I use vmware or microsofts hyperv on pro works well. Microsofts
networking setup makes it especially easy to get a built in openbsd
firewall in Windows. Just turn ip support off on the physical interface and
have windows use the virtual. Wifi security is a lower layer on most
networks, so it still just works.

Don't expect native speed and security though. I hope that is obvious.

Also,
"http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20170609121413&mode=flat&count=2
"

On 27 Jun 2017 10:45 am, "Stuart Henderson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2017-06-26, Josh Stephens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I could be wrong when I say this but the only gotcha that you will run
> into
> > with virtual box will be the guest additions.
>
> Does virtualbox still do that thing where it patches the running
> kernel when it detects OpenBSD?

Re: Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

J Doe

>> On 27 Jun 2017 10:45 am, "Stuart Henderson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 2017-06-26, Josh Stephens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I could be wrong when I say this but the only gotcha that you will run
>> into
>>> with virtual box will be the guest additions.
>>
>> Does virtualbox still do that thing where it patches the running
>> kernel when it detects OpenBSD?

Hi,

Just thought I'd chime in that I've had success with OpenBSD 5.x to 6.0 running under VMware Fusion (Mac OS X version of VMware).  There isn't support for guest additions with the most recent version of Fusion (8.x), but I haven't had any issues.

I saw in the thread that someone was mentioning full screen support.  There's no problem with that under Fusion, but you are limited to legacy style video output (ie: not a high res display).  The easiest way around that is I run OpenBSD minimized and SSH in from Terminal on Mac OS X, then use the full-screen mode on OS X Terminal.

If you're interested in OpenBSD in virtual machines in the cloud, I have nothing but praise for the people at RootBSD [1], which have supported OpenBSD for a while.  IIRC they run OpenBSD on top of Xen, so the previous comments about security not being the same as running it natively do apply, but it's definitely an option.

I believe Undeadly recently posted about partial support for Hyper-V has been committed, which also opens up the future possibly of running OpenBSD on Azure.  Seems like the only holdout is AWS, but there is now official support for FreeBSD on it, so here's hoping its' more secure cousin will make it's way to Amazon.

- J

[1] I'm neither an employee or investor in RootBSD -  just a satisfied customer

Re: Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

Predrag Punosevac-2
Somebody hiding behind pseudonim J Doe wrote:

> > > into
> > >
> > > Does virtualbox still do that thing where it patches the running
> > > kernel when it detects OpenBSD?
>
> Hi,
>
> Just thought I'd chime in that I've had success with OpenBSD 5.x to 6.0
> running under \ VMware Fusion (Mac OS X version of VMware).  There isn't
> support for guest additions \ with the most recent version of Fusion
> (8.x), but I haven't had any issues.
>
> I saw in the thread that someone was mentioning full screen support.
> There's no \ problem with that under Fusion, but you are limited to
> legacy style video output (ie: \ not a high res display).  The easiest
> way around that is I run OpenBSD minimized and \ SSH in from Terminal on
> Mac OS X, then use the full-screen mode on OS X Terminal.
>
> If you're interested in OpenBSD in virtual machines in the cloud, I have
> nothing but \ praise for the people at RootBSD [1], which have supported
> OpenBSD for a while.  IIRC \ they run OpenBSD on top of Xen, so the
> previous comments about security not being the \ same as running it
> natively do apply, but it's definitely an option.
>
> I believe Undeadly recently posted about partial support for Hyper-V has
> been \ committed, which also opens up the future possibly of running
> OpenBSD on Azure.  \ Seems like the only holdout is AWS, but there is
> now official support for FreeBSD on \ it, so here's hoping its' more
> secure cousin will make it's way to Amazon.

OpenBSD runs fine on AWS thanks to the work of Mike Belopuhov, Antoine
Jacoutot, and many other people which I am not mentioning. Currently I
am not running it so I can't post a dmesg but I played with it last
year. FreeBSD people are in process of porting Xen drivers from OpenBSD.
You can also check the size of FreeBSD AWS image with the one Antoine
posted on the Market Place (it was on the U.S. west last year for me) to
the size of FreeBSD image to see how much smaller is OpenBSD image.

Cheers,
Predrag

On Jul 3, 2017, at 3:51 PM, Predrag Punosevac <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Somebody hiding behind pseudonim J Doe wrote:
> OpenBSD runs fine on AWS thanks to the work of Mike Belopuhov, Antoine
> Jacoutot, and many other people which I am not mentioning. Currently I
> am not running it so I can't post a dmesg but I played with it last
> year. FreeBSD people are in process of porting Xen drivers from OpenBSD.
> You can also check the size of FreeBSD AWS image with the one Antoine
> posted on the Market Place (it was on the U.S. west last year for me) to
> the size of FreeBSD image to see how much smaller is OpenBSD image.
>
> Cheers,
> Predrag

Hi Predrag,

I hadn't realized that about AWS - thank you for letting me know!

- J

Re: Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

Artur Pedziwilk

> On 3 Jul 2017, at 20:36, J Doe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I believe Undeadly recently posted about partial support for Hyper-V has been committed, which also opens up the future possibly of running OpenBSD on Azure.  Seems like the only holdout is AWS, but there is now official support for FreeBSD on it, so here's hoping its' more secure cousin will make it's way to Amazon.

I am running OpenBSD on Amazon AWS with no issues so far.

There are my shared images and dmesg
https://wilkart.online/blog/openbsd-on-amazon-ec2.html <https://wilkart.online/blog/openbsd-on-amazon-ec2.html>

Here we have quite detailed instruction how to build your own
https://github.com/ajacoutot/aws-openbsd

Re: Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

Reyk Floeter-2
On Mon, Jul 03, 2017 at 02:36:20PM -0400, J Doe wrote:

> >> into
> >>
> >> Does virtualbox still do that thing where it patches the running
> >> kernel when it detects OpenBSD?
>
> Hi,
>

> Just thought I'd chime in that I've had success with OpenBSD 5.x to
> 6.0 running under VMware Fusion (Mac OS X version of VMware).  There
> isn't support for guest additions with the most recent version of
> Fusion (8.x), but I haven't had any issues.

I don't know what you mean with "there isn't support for guest
additions".  We don't support VMware's 3rd party tools but we use our
own drivers.

VMware Fusion Pro 8.5.8 with version 12 VMs works fine, vmt(4)
attaches, provides guest services such as shutdown/reboot, timedelta
sensor, and access to VMware's guestinfo key/value via hostctl(8) (eg.
hostctl guestinfo.ip).  X11-related features are provide by vmwh in
ports, but I've never tested it.  We also have vmx(4) for vmxnet3
networking but you manually have to edit the .vmx file and change
ethernetX.virtualDev = "vmxnet3" (VMware has ignored all of our
requests to add a device profile for OpenBSD).

The only issue that I just saw with -current is that ahci(4)
initialization hangs on boot - I had to disable ahci and use SCSI or
IDE.  I haven't noticed this on ESXi.

I mostly used Fusion for testing and development for ESXi/vSphere but
I switched to OpenBSD VMM for most of the testing.

> I saw in the thread that someone was mentioning full screen support.
> There's no problem with that under Fusion, but you are limited to
> legacy style video output (ie: not a high res display).  The easiest
> way around that is I run OpenBSD minimized and SSH in from Terminal on
> Mac OS X, then use the full-screen mode on OS X Terminal.
>
> If you're interested in OpenBSD in virtual machines in the cloud, I
> have nothing but praise for the people at RootBSD [1], which have
> supported OpenBSD for a while.  IIRC they run OpenBSD on top of Xen,
> so the previous comments about security not being the same as running
> it natively do apply, but it's definitely an option.
>
> I believe Undeadly recently posted about partial support for Hyper-V
> has been committed, which also opens up the future possibly of running
> OpenBSD on Azure.  Seems like the only holdout is AWS, but there is
> now official support for FreeBSD on it, so here's hoping its' more
> secure cousin will make it's way to Amazon.

You cannot really compare FreeBSD in Azure or AWS to OpenBSD.  We have
totally different drivers for Hyper-V and Xen.  But Hyper-V is "fully"
supported on OpenBSD, the latest hvs(4) driver adds support for
StorVSC paravirtual SCSI.  mikeb@ has done some great work to
implement all the missing drivers and I helped where I could and
focussed on the part to get it from Hyper-V/Xen to the "cloud".

The situation in Azure is about the same as in AWS: we don't provide
OpenBSD images in the marketplaces or community images yet, but there
are scripts and howtos to create your OpenBSD VMs in Azure.  This
might change as soon as we feel confident enough with the VM "layout"
and the (mandatory) agent.  But, for now, use the tools from
unofficial external github projects:

For AWS:
https://github.com/ajacoutot/aws-openbsd

For Azure (also works in AWS and under VMM):
https://github.com/reyk/cloud-openbsd        (create images with cloud-agent)
https://github.com/reyk/cloud-agent        (an alternative to waagent in ports)
https://github.com/reyk/meta-data        (test + boot cloud images under VMM)

We also have VirtIO drivers for OpenBSD VMM and KVM, as used by most
other clouds, and I'm planning to add support for OpenStack (JSON) and
OpenNebula (contexts) to my cloud-agent.

But please note that we're currently trying to find ways to create VM
images that still provide the benefits of OpenBSD-style things like
KARL.  The problem with pre-provisioned VM images is that they all
have the "same random values" in the filesystem, kernel, and libraries
where the installer usually makes each installation unique.  A
pre-provisioned image is always the same, at least on first boot,
unless we create something that prepares or installs everything before
getting a new VM instance online.  The first real* OpenBSD image on
Azure will probably be fully pre-provisioned, but maybe we switch to a
totally different model later.

In summary, I think all x86 VM hypervisors are more or less supported.
Just like real hardware platforms, some of them have problems, and
others work better.  But we're in a pretty good shape and it was an
interesting journey over the last years to get to this point.

*) There is currently only my company's OpenBSD-based product in
Azure.  Some PR got it wrong and announced that OpenBSD itself is now
available in Azure, but it is an appliance which is not plain OpenBSD.
I'm sorry for the unintended confusion.  The reality is: OpenBSD is
now supported in Azure, you can create your own images for it, and
we're hoping to make real OpenBSD images available very soon.

Reyk

Re: Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

J Doe
Hi Reyk,

> On Jul 4, 2017, at 8:21 AM, Reyk Floeter <[hidden email]>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just thought I'd chime in that I've had success with OpenBSD 5.x to
>> 6.0 running under VMware Fusion (Mac OS X version of VMware).  There
>> isn't support for guest additions with the most recent version of
>> Fusion (8.x), but I haven't had any issues.
>>

> I don't know what you mean with "there isn't support for guest
> additions".  We don't support VMware's 3rd party tools but we use our
> own drivers.

My apologies, that was incorrect phrasing on my part.  By "guest additions" I meant the 3rd party tools that you mentioned above (ie: adding clipboard support between host and guest VM's, etc.).

And you're also right about OpenBSD's driver support - I note that in dmesg for my VM's that the kernel is aware of the hypervisor.

> VMware Fusion Pro 8.5.8 with version 12 VMs works fine, vmt(4)
> attaches, provides guest services such as shutdown/reboot, timedelta
> sensor, and access to VMware's guestinfo key/value via hostctl(8) (eg.
> hostctl guestinfo.ip).  X11-related features are provide by vmwh in
> ports, but I've never tested it.  We also have vmx(4) for vmxnet3
> networking but you manually have to edit the .vmx file and change
> ethernetX.virtualDev = "vmxnet3" (VMware has ignored all of our
> requests to add a device profile for OpenBSD).

Ah, that's very interesting - I was completely unaware of X11 related features.  I had just a plain vanilla install and hadn't installed any ports, but I will definitely take some time to experiment with this.

I know this is probably speculation, but was there any sort of dialog from VMware as to why they would not add the device profile ?  I am fine with manually editing the .vmx, but I don't understand why this would not be accommodated by VMware.

> The only issue that I just saw with -current is that ahci(4)
> initialization hangs on boot - I had to disable ahci and use SCSI or
> IDE.  I haven't noticed this on ESXi.

Ah, ok - good to be aware of.  I generally just use the default of SCSI for the VM hard disks.

> I mostly used Fusion for testing and development for ESXi/vSphere but
> I switched to OpenBSD VMM for most of the testing.

Oh cool - I have been following VMM news but I was under the mistaken impression that it wasn't ready for production use.  I need to make the time and sit down and read the man pages.

> The situation in Azure is about the same as in AWS: we don't provide
> OpenBSD images in the marketplaces or community images yet, but there
> are scripts and howtos to create your OpenBSD VMs in Azure.  This
> might change as soon as we feel confident enough with the VM "layout"
> and the (mandatory) agent.  But, for now, use the tools from
> unofficial external github projects:
>
> For AWS:
> https://github.com/ajacoutot/aws-openbsd
>
> For Azure (also works in AWS and under VMM):
> https://github.com/reyk/cloud-openbsd    (create images with cloud-agent)
> https://github.com/reyk/cloud-agent    (an alternative to waagent in ports)
> https://github.com/reyk/meta-data    (test + boot cloud images under VMM)

Thank you for the AWS-related guides.

> But please note that we're currently trying to find ways to create VM
> images that still provide the benefits of OpenBSD-style things like
> KARL.  The problem with pre-provisioned VM images is that they all
> have the "same random values" in the filesystem, kernel, and libraries
> where the installer usually makes each installation unique.  A
> pre-provisioned image is always the same, at least on first boot,
> unless we create something that prepares or installs everything before
> getting a new VM instance online.  The first real* OpenBSD image on
> Azure will probably be fully pre-provisioned, but maybe we switch to a
> totally different model later.

Ok - good point.

> In summary, I think all x86 VM hypervisors are more or less supported.
> Just like real hardware platforms, some of them have problems, and
> others work better.  But we're in a pretty good shape and it was an
> interesting journey over the last years to get to this point.
>
> *) There is currently only my company's OpenBSD-based product in
> Azure.  Some PR got it wrong and announced that OpenBSD itself is now
> available in Azure, but it is an appliance which is not plain OpenBSD.
> I'm sorry for the unintended confusion.  The reality is: OpenBSD is
> now supported in Azure, you can create your own images for it, and
> we're hoping to make real OpenBSD images available very soon.

I remember seeing news about that in my general tech newsfeed (regarding OpenBSD on Azure), and I was surprised (in a good way!), but it's good to know what this means in terms of the actual implementation.

- J

Re: Can I use OpenBSD in a virtual machine, for example, VirtualBox?

R0me0 ***
@Reyk

Yes on ESXi ahci(4) hangs as you described, the procedure is to remove,
since "sata" is a default to cdrom device.

A great feedback you provided!

Long life to magic puffer fish