Can I use OpenBSD as a desktop system?

Re: Can I use OpenBSD as a desktop system?

Shazaum
of course Soul_of_Root

> Can I use OpenBSD as a desktop system?

Re: Can I use OpenBSD as a desktop system?

Eric Johnson-2

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017, G wrote:

> I would say it depends.
>
> 1. What are your requirements
>
> -Do you need to propriety programs like Skype?
> Skype don't run on openbsd

It looks like Skype can be used from Chrome as an extension added from the
web store.  I haven't tried it.

Telegram works on OpenBSD as a Chrome extension.

Eric

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017, Rupert Gallagher wrote:

> I spent yesterday and today installing 6.1 from scratch on a Dell
> Optiplex gx620. The machine has a pentium 4 @3.0GHz with 4GB non ECC
> RAM, returning a passmark of 354*. The aim is to replace the
> accountant's windows 10 pro tomorrow morning, moving the disk into his
> more recent Dell. In summary, I have everything he needs, including a
> gui that looks like windows 7, except for the following, so far:

I don't know about the Optiplex gx620, but I have a refurbished Optiplex
790 that I bought earlier this year.  It gave me all kinds of problems
with network issues and ssh.  For example, when I ran syspatch after the
first three patches were released, sshd would no longer run if I was using
IPv6.  Also, connections to other machines would fail suddenly, sometimes
within seconds.

I stuck in another disk and installed Fedora Workstation on it and had the
same issues so it wasn't because of OpenBSD.

I ended up upgrading the firmware and that seems to have fixed the issues.
That proved to be a bit of a problem because you have to be running
Windows to upgrade the firmware.  I have some old versions of Windows
around, but they all require IDE drives.  I finally got Windows running
(it sure ran slow compared to OpenBSD) and installed the firmware.

I bought this computer to become my primary workstation replacing a Lenovo
desktop running SuSE Linux.  I have a couple of packages that need Linux
so I'll keep the older workstation, but on another table, and use ssh from
this computer as necessary.

For what it's worth, my top preference for a window manager is
WindowMaker.  That's all I've used for years on both OpenBSD and Linux.

Eric

Re: Can I use OpenBSD as a desktop system?

Marcus MERIGHI
[hidden email] (Eric Johnson), 2017.06.13 (Tue) 12:23 (CEST):

> On Sat, 10 Jun 2017, G wrote:
>
> > I would say it depends.
> >
> > 1. What are your requirements
> >
> > -Do you need to propriety programs like Skype?
> > Skype don't run on openbsd
>
> It looks like Skype can be used from Chrome as an extension added from the
> web store.  I haven't tried it.

All I got in Iridium was, after successful install and logon:
"Sorry, Skype for Web isnt available on this device yet.
Please try it on your desktop computer instead."

(signal app works, btw.)

Marcus

> Telegram works on OpenBSD as a Chrome extension.
>
> Eric
>

> !DSPAM:593ebec0263452110416735!

Re: Can I use OpenBSD as a desktop system?

Shteryana Shopova-2
On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 9:26 PM, Marcus MERIGHI <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [hidden email] (Eric Johnson), 2017.06.13 (Tue) 12:23 (CEST):

>> > -Do you need to propriety programs like Skype?
>> > Skype don't run on openbsd
>>
>> It looks like Skype can be used from Chrome as an extension added from the
>> web store.  I haven't tried it.
>
> All I got in Iridium was, after successful install and logon:
> "Sorry, Skype for Web isnt available on this device yet.
> Please try it on your desktop computer instead."
>
> (signal app works, btw.)
>
> Marcus
>
>> Telegram works on OpenBSD as a Chrome extension.

I'd suggest installing a "User Agent Switcher" or similar plugin/addon
depending on the browser you use and setting the User agent for web
skype to "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:50.0) Gecko/xxx
Firefox/yy.z" or smth similar that tricks Skype into thinking it runs
in a Linux browser - that's how I managed to get pass that annoying
"Sorry, Skype for Web isnt available on this device yet." message and
actually use it.

cheers,
Shteryana

Re: Can I use OpenBSD as a desktop system?

Mihai Popescu-3
> I'd suggest installing a "User Agent Switcher"

I'd suggest installing Windows and since it is not an OpenBSD issue,
let M$ deal with that.

Re: Can I use OpenBSD as a desktop system?

Flipchan
I run mine with xfce works great

On June 12, 2017 7:45:13 AM GMT+02:00, Rupert Gallagher <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 1:16 AM, Davor Balder <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> xfce is available and you should be able to use mac-like shortcuts
>there. I think this relates to your chaoice of window manager/desktop
>environment. We have choices!
>
>Using xfce already, but Apple-like shortcuts did not work so far.
>
>> I've been using seamonkey and qutebrowser with good results.
>
>Will try them.
>
>I have a privacy and security protocol that I could implement on
>firefox only, across different OSs, with extensions, configurations and
>changes to the code. The result is better than torbrowser.
>
>I installed chromium on openbsd, but was greeted by chrome instead. I
>tried hard to to secure chrome, but each step I took resulted in
>greater leaks.
>
>I expected the openbsd version of both ff and chrome to be safer by
>default. There is s lot of work to be done. Will share more next
>weekend.

Take Care Sincerely flipchan layerprox dev

Re: Can I use OpenBSD as a desktop system?

George
Yes I though about it but I didn't care that much. My webcam don't work
on openbsd anyway. Can you make video calls?

On 06/12/17 22:55, Shteryana Shopova wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 9:26 PM, Marcus MERIGHI <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [hidden email] (Eric Johnson), 2017.06.13 (Tue) 12:23 (CEST):

>>> It looks like Skype can be used from Chrome as an extension added from the
>>> web store.  I haven't tried it.
>>
>> All I got in Iridium was, after successful install and logon:
>> "Sorry, Skype for Web isnt available on this device yet.
>> Please try it on your desktop computer instead."
>>
>> (signal app works, btw.)
>>
>> Marcus
>>
>>> Telegram works on OpenBSD as a Chrome extension.
>
> I'd suggest installing a "User Agent Switcher" or similar plugin/addon
> depending on the browser you use and setting the User agent for web
> skype to "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:50.0) Gecko/xxx
> Firefox/yy.z" or smth similar that tricks Skype into thinking it runs
> in a Linux browser - that's how I managed to get pass that annoying
> "Sorry, Skype for Web isnt available on this device yet." message and
> actually use it.
>
> cheers,
> Shteryana

Re: Can I use OpenBSD as a desktop system?

Olivier BURELLI
On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 05:56:52 -0500 (CDT)
Eric Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jun 2017, Rupert Gallagher wrote:
>
> > I spent yesterday and today installing 6.1 from scratch on a Dell
> > Optiplex gx620. The machine has a pentium 4 @3.0GHz with 4GB non ECC
> > RAM, returning a passmark of 354*. The aim is to replace the
> > accountant's windows 10 pro tomorrow morning, moving the disk into his
> > more recent Dell. In summary, I have everything he needs, including a
> > gui that looks like windows 7, except for the following, so far:
>
> I don't know about the Optiplex gx620, but I have a refurbished Optiplex
> 790 that I bought earlier this year.  It gave me all kinds of problems
> with network issues and ssh.  For example, when I ran syspatch after the
> first three patches were released, sshd would no longer run if I was using
> IPv6.  Also, connections to other machines would fail suddenly, sometimes
> within seconds.
>
> I stuck in another disk and installed Fedora Workstation on it and had the
> same issues so it wasn't because of OpenBSD.
>
> I ended up upgrading the firmware and that seems to have fixed the issues.
> That proved to be a bit of a problem because you have to be running
> Windows to upgrade the firmware.  I have some old versions of Windows
> around, but they all require IDE drives.  I finally got Windows running
> (it sure ran slow compared to OpenBSD) and installed the firmware.
>
> I bought this computer to become my primary workstation replacing a Lenovo
> desktop running SuSE Linux.  I have a couple of packages that need Linux
> so I'll keep the older workstation, but on another table, and use ssh from
> this computer as necessary.
>
> For what it's worth, my top preference for a window manager is
> WindowMaker.  That's all I've used for years on both OpenBSD and Linux.
>
> Eric

No one talked about this personnal project ?

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=10229

It's running fine on all minimalist configuration...

Olivier  Burelli <[hidden email]>

Re: Can I use OpenBSD as a desktop system?

Leighton Sheppard-2
Thanks for sharing, looks a great resource... I personally use OpenBSD on my lappy,as a desktop OS and it works very well indeed (Thinkpad x230, 4GB ram and 128GB SSD).

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 11:43:13AM +0200, Olivier Burelli wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 05:56:52 -0500 (CDT)
> Eric Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 11 Jun 2017, Rupert Gallagher wrote:
> >
> > > I spent yesterday and today installing 6.1 from scratch on a Dell
> > > Optiplex gx620. The machine has a pentium 4 @3.0GHz with 4GB non ECC
> > > RAM, returning a passmark of 354*. The aim is to replace the
> > > accountant's windows 10 pro tomorrow morning, moving the disk into his
> > > more recent Dell. In summary, I have everything he needs, including a
> > > gui that looks like windows 7, except for the following, so far:
> >
> > I don't know about the Optiplex gx620, but I have a refurbished Optiplex
> > 790 that I bought earlier this year.  It gave me all kinds of problems
> > with network issues and ssh.  For example, when I ran syspatch after the
> > first three patches were released, sshd would no longer run if I was using
> > IPv6.  Also, connections to other machines would fail suddenly, sometimes
> > within seconds.
> >
> > I stuck in another disk and installed Fedora Workstation on it and had the
> > same issues so it wasn't because of OpenBSD.
> >
> > I ended up upgrading the firmware and that seems to have fixed the issues.
> > That proved to be a bit of a problem because you have to be running
> > Windows to upgrade the firmware.  I have some old versions of Windows
> > around, but they all require IDE drives.  I finally got Windows running
> > (it sure ran slow compared to OpenBSD) and installed the firmware.
> >
> > I bought this computer to become my primary workstation replacing a Lenovo
> > desktop running SuSE Linux.  I have a couple of packages that need Linux
> > so I'll keep the older workstation, but on another table, and use ssh from
> > this computer as necessary.
> >
> > For what it's worth, my top preference for a window manager is
> > WindowMaker.  That's all I've used for years on both OpenBSD and Linux.
> >
> > Eric
>

> No one talked about this personnal project ?
>
> http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=10229
>
> It's running fine on all minimalist configuration...
>

> --
> Olivier  Burelli <[hidden email]>

123