Can I turn off sndio?

Worik Stanton
I do not use sound on my machine.  I am new to OpenBSD and in examining
the running system I see sndio is running.

I see it is started in /etc/rc, but the FAQ suggests that this file
should not be edited.

What is the proper way to turn it off?

Worik
--
Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
       [hidden email] 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
                          Aotearoa (New Zealand)

Re: Can I turn off sndio?

sven falempin
rc.conf or rc.conf.local
sndio=NO

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 5:31 PM, worik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I do not use sound on my machine.  I am new to OpenBSD and in examining
> the running system I see sndio is running.
>
> I see it is started in /etc/rc, but the FAQ suggests that this file
> should not be edited.
>
> What is the proper way to turn it off?
>
> Worik
> --
> Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
>        [hidden email] 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
>                           Aotearoa (New Zealand)

/\

Re: Can I turn off sndio?

Antoine Jacoutot-7
On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 09:31:03AM +1200, worik wrote:
> I do not use sound on my machine.  I am new to OpenBSD and in examining
> the running system I see sndio is running.
>
> I see it is started in /etc/rc, but the FAQ suggests that this file
> should not be edited.
>
> What is the proper way to turn it off?

# echo sndiod_flags=NO >> /etc/rc.conf.local

Antoine

Re: Can I turn off sndio?

Alexandre Ratchov-2
On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 09:31:03AM +1200, worik wrote:
> I do not use sound on my machine.  I am new to OpenBSD and in examining
> the running system I see sndio is running.

When unused, sndiod is very small (eg. smaller than getty) and
disabling it won't save much memory. Think of it as a kernel
service we moved in user-space. It's like all these features that
you don't use but that consume a tiny amount of memory (drivers for
file systems you don't have, softraid, drivers for hardware you
don't have etc).

Such small memory savings are not worth the effort.

> I see it is started in /etc/rc, but the FAQ suggests that this file
> should not be edited.
>
> What is the proper way to turn it off?

set sndiod_flags=NO in /etc/rc.conf.local (create one if it doesn't
exist). This is explained here:

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq10.html#rc

Re: Can I turn off sndio?

Worik Stanton
On 18/08/14 19:58, Alexandre Ratchov wrote:

[snip]

>> What is the proper way to turn it off?
>>

> set sndiod_flags=NO in /etc/rc.conf.local (create one if it doesn't
> exist). This is explained here:
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq10.html#rc

Thank you that is helpful.  My bad, I had read that part of the FAQ but
it did not sink in.

I assume that I can just kill sndio in the meantime rather than rebooting.

In the general case when editing /etc/rc (via changes
in/etc/rc.conf.local) what is the way to set the state of the system
daemons without having to reboot?  Is it just a matter of killing and
starting the daemons by hand or is there a general way to accomplish
this without rebooting or entering single user mode?

> On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 09:31:03AM +1200, worik wrote:
>> I do not use sound on my machine.  I am new to OpenBSD and in examining
>> the running system I see sndio is running.
>>

> When unused, sndiod is very small (eg. smaller than getty) and
> disabling it won't save much memory. Think of it as a kernel
> service we moved in user-space. It's like all these features that
> you don't use but that consume a tiny amount of memory (drivers for
> file systems you don't have, softraid, drivers for hardware you
> don't have etc).

Yes.  But I am running OpenBSD for a reason, and it is not as a sound
server, it will do no sound serving.  So one less programme running is
one less complication.  Maybe a very small bit less, but still finitely
less.

cheers
Worik

--
Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
       [hidden email] 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
                          Aotearoa (New Zealand)

Re: Can I turn off sndio?

Ingo Schwarze
Hi Worik,

Worik Stanton wrote on Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 04:51:39AM +1200:

> In the general case when editing /etc/rc (via changes
> in/etc/rc.conf.local) what is the way to set the state of the system
> daemons without having to reboot?

/etc/rc.d/foo stop  # or whatever, "start" after enabling something

rc.d(8)

Yours,
  Ingo

Re: Can I turn off sndio?

Adam Thompson
/etc/rc.d/service_name stop && /etc/rc.d/service_name start

should do the trick.
-Adam