CPU scaling on Mac mini?

obsd
I was running 3.7-macppc-RELEASE on my Mac mini for a little while last
year.  The one showstopper ended up being the complete lack of CPU
scaling/sensor support.  The Mac mini ran at 100% CPU all of the time,
and if you've ever heard what that sounds like, leaf blowers sound
pleasurable.

I noticed there had recently been some sensors-related code checked in in
the last few weeks.  Is it yet possible to run -macppc on a Mac mini
without it always being at maximum power?

Re: CPU scaling on Mac mini?

Reid Nichol
--- [hidden email] wrote:
> a little while last year.  The one show stopper
ended
> up being the complete lack of CPU scaling/sensor
> support.  The Mac mini ran at 100% CPU all of the
> time, and if you've ever heard what that sounds
like,
> leaf blowers sound pleasurable.
>
> I noticed there had recently been some
> sensors-related code checked in in the last few
> weeks.  Is it yet possible to run -macppc on a Mac
> mini without it always being at maximum power?

I'm not actually certain what you're talking about.
I've had a Mac mini and ran 3.7 on it since June/July
and never had that problem.  3.8 isn't giving any
trouble either.

This is from top on my box.

load averages:  0.33,  0.44,  0.35

28 processes:  2 running, 25 idle, 1 on processor
CPU states:  5.2% user,  0.0% nice,  1.0% system,
0.8% interrupt, 93.0% idle
Memory: Real: 73M/125M act/tot  Free: 365M  Swap:
0K/533M used/tot

So, whatever problem you've had was either a freak
one, or its been resolved.

best regards,
Reid Nichol

"We're in a giant car heading into a brick wall at 100 miles/hr and everybody's arguing about where they want to sit."
-David Suzuki

Re: CPU scaling on Mac mini?

Otto Moerbeek
On Sun, 6 Nov 2005, [hidden email] wrote:

> I was running 3.7-macppc-RELEASE on my Mac mini for a little while last
> year.  The one showstopper ended up being the complete lack of CPU
> scaling/sensor support.  The Mac mini ran at 100% CPU all of the time,
> and if you've ever heard what that sounds like, leaf blowers sound
> pleasurable.
>
> I noticed there had recently been some sensors-related code checked in in
> the last few weeks.  Is it yet possible to run -macppc on a Mac mini
> without it always being at maximum power?

Hmmm, I have a mini here and it is quiet most of the time. Only when I
stress the machine the fan starts blowing.

One of the reasons I run a mini is that it is very low on noise.

        -Otto