CPU platform

Mihai Popescu-3
Hello all,

I usually take my computers for OpenBSD from used/refurbished market
since they are much cheaper and I don't need edge hardware. Lately,
AMD processors platforms are not so easy to find ( I prefer a
combination of cpu + video + brand name).
I have a much bigger offer from Intel side. There are many options.
Regarding the Meltdown and Spectre issues, is it still fine to go for
an Intel platform?
How did you folks with Intel based production systems mitigated this?

Thank you.

Re: CPU platform

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>Hello all,
>
>I usually take my computers for OpenBSD from used/refurbished market
>since they are much cheaper and I don't need edge hardware. Lately,
>AMD processors platforms are not so easy to find ( I prefer a
>combination of cpu + video + brand name).
>I have a much bigger offer from Intel side. There are many options.
>Regarding the Meltdown and Spectre issues, is it still fine to go for
>an Intel platform?
>How did you folks with Intel based production systems mitigated this?
>
>Thank you.
AMD(and ARM for that matter) CPUs are also affected by these exploits.
They're mitigated in software. OpenBSD, as well as other OS distributors,
have patched it. For more information visit https://meltdownattack.com/

Re: CPU platform

Patrick Dohman-4

> On Feb 10, 2019, at 7:41 AM, Mihai Popescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How did you folks with Intel based production systems mitigated this?
>
> Thank you.

At this point hyper threading is no-op on my Dell system.

Hoping to clarify if meltdown effects Bigtable?
Also what is the status of "no root unix”. The process owner is asking.
Regards
Patrick

Re: CPU platform

Nick Holland
On 2/10/19 8:41 AM, Mihai Popescu wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I usually take my computers for OpenBSD from used/refurbished market
> since they are much cheaper and I don't need edge hardware. Lately,
> AMD processors platforms are not so easy to find ( I prefer a
> combination of cpu + video + brand name).
> I have a much bigger offer from Intel side. There are many options.
> Regarding the Meltdown and Spectre issues, is it still fine to go for
> an Intel platform?
> How did you folks with Intel based production systems mitigated this?

Most likely, you are going to start by panicking about Meltdown and
Spectre.  Then you are going to go load up your system with poorly
written software which is far more likely to be the REAL cause of a breach.

OpenBSD Developers are on the problems as well or better than anyone
else.  At this point, worry much more about the decisions you make OTHER
than HW platform, as they matter far more.

Nick.

Re: CPU platform

Patrick Dohman-4

> On Feb 10, 2019, at 12:13 PM, Nick Holland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Most likely, you are going to start by panicking about Meltdown and
> Spectre.  Then you are going to go load up your system with poorly
> written software which is far more likely to be the REAL cause of a breach.
>
> OpenBSD Developers are on the problems as well or better than anyone
> else.  At this point, worry much more about the decisions you make OTHER
> than HW platform, as they matter far more.
>
> Nick.

Perhaps you can configure your proprietary compiler to run in error verbose
All new compiled binaries will fault & result in a watch dog reset.
The one time package installer needed at inception is linked a temporary bin that is deleted at network target.
N.O.C analyst monitoring systems are responsible for repeated reboots & reinstallation.
Regards
Patrick