COMPAT_NETBSD status?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

COMPAT_NETBSD status?

ober-4
I built a 3.8 kernel with COMPAT_NETBSD, but found that there was no
sysctl for compat_netbsd(8) or man page.

Is the code that is present for it usable?

Thanks in Advance.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: COMPAT_NETBSD status?

Jason McIntyre-2
On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 12:20:08AM -0600, ober wrote:
> I built a 3.8 kernel with COMPAT_NETBSD, but found that there was no
> sysctl for compat_netbsd(8) or man page.
>
> Is the code that is present for it usable?
>
> Thanks in Advance.

alpha is the only platform that supports this, as far as i know. i am
not sure which binaries will/won't work, but i believe following the
steps in compat_freebsd(8) should get you pretty close.

there has never been a compat_netbsd(8) page, as i recall, but probably
should be.

jmc

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: COMPAT_NETBSD status?

Ted Unangst-2
On 11/9/05, Jason McIntyre <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 12:20:08AM -0600, ober wrote:
> > I built a 3.8 kernel with COMPAT_NETBSD, but found that there was no
> > sysctl for compat_netbsd(8) or man page.
> >
> > Is the code that is present for it usable?
> >
> > Thanks in Advance.
>
> alpha is the only platform that supports this, as far as i know. i am
> not sure which binaries will/won't work, but i believe following the
> steps in compat_freebsd(8) should get you pretty close.

i'm curious to know what use it is.  how many netbsd/alpha binaries
(from like netbsd 1.0, nothing new will work) are out there without
source?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: COMPAT_NETBSD status?

Jason McIntyre-2
On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 10:35:27AM -0800, Ted Unangst wrote:
> >
> > alpha is the only platform that supports this, as far as i know. i am
> > not sure which binaries will/won't work, but i believe following the
> > steps in compat_freebsd(8) should get you pretty close.
>
> i'm curious to know what use it is.  how many netbsd/alpha binaries
> (from like netbsd 1.0, nothing new will work) are out there without
> source?

probably not terrifically useful. maybe the original poster can tell us
what he was trying to run...

jmc

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: COMPAT_NETBSD status?

ober-4
So if the compat code would not run anything of 2.x origins then it would
not be of use in my case.
I am trying to run a super secret alien interpreter I got from Elvis
while working as a sled mechanic for Santa Claus.

But since it was only compiled for NetBSD 2.0 and I have no source, I
guess this thread is dead.

Thanks for the info.

-Ober

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Jason McIntyre wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 10:35:27AM -0800, Ted Unangst wrote:
>>>
>>> alpha is the only platform that supports this, as far as i know. i am
>>> not sure which binaries will/won't work, but i believe following the
>>> steps in compat_freebsd(8) should get you pretty close.
>>
>> i'm curious to know what use it is.  how many netbsd/alpha binaries
>> (from like netbsd 1.0, nothing new will work) are out there without
>> source?
>
> probably not terrifically useful. maybe the original poster can tell us
> what he was trying to run...
>
> jmc