CDROM mounts always on 2nd attempt

Karel Kulhavy
When I mount /dev/cd0c I always get this in dmesg:
cd0(atapiscsi0:0:0): Check Condition (error 0x70) on opcode 0x0
    SENSE KEY: Not Ready
         ASC/ASCQ: Logical Unit Is in Process Of Becoming Ready

And this in application:
root@kestrel:~$ mount /mnt/cd
mount_cd9660: /dev/cd0c on /mnt/cd: Input/output error

When I retry, it mounts. Do you know what the error messages mean and
why it is error? To me it looks like the OS should wait if the unit is not
yet ready. What I can hear is that it is spinning up the disk slowly.
I don't know why slowly when it's a 50x or 48x speed drive or something like
this, but it does.

Can I somehow determine the type of the drive? My dmesg is full of these
messages:
uid 1000 on /: file system full
uid 1000 on /: file system full
uid 1000 on /: file system full

CL<

Re: CDROM mounts always on 2nd attempt

Joachim Schipper
On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 08:31:55PM +0200, Karel Kulhavy wrote:

> When I mount /dev/cd0c I always get this in dmesg:
> cd0(atapiscsi0:0:0): Check Condition (error 0x70) on opcode 0x0
>     SENSE KEY: Not Ready
>          ASC/ASCQ: Logical Unit Is in Process Of Becoming Ready
>
> And this in application:
> root@kestrel:~$ mount /mnt/cd
> mount_cd9660: /dev/cd0c on /mnt/cd: Input/output error
>
> When I retry, it mounts. Do you know what the error messages mean and
> why it is error? To me it looks like the OS should wait if the unit is not
> yet ready. What I can hear is that it is spinning up the disk slowly.
> I don't know why slowly when it's a 50x or 48x speed drive or something like
> this, but it does.
>
> Can I somehow determine the type of the drive? My dmesg is full of these
> messages:
> uid 1000 on /: file system full
> uid 1000 on /: file system full
> uid 1000 on /: file system full

While I'm not sure about how to deal with the first problem (the obvious
workaround is to run dd if=/dev/rcd0a of=/dev/null count=1 first, or
somesuch, but that's a workaround), the second is indicative of / being
filled. Don't do that; not doing that is easier if /home is on a
different partition.

                Joachim

Re: CDROM mounts always on 2nd attempt

Theo de Raadt
> When I mount /dev/cd0c I always get this in dmesg:
> cd0(atapiscsi0:0:0): Check Condition (error 0x70) on opcode 0x0
>     SENSE KEY: Not Ready
>          ASC/ASCQ: Logical Unit Is in Process Of Becoming Ready
>
> And this in application:
> root@kestrel:~$ mount /mnt/cd
> mount_cd9660: /dev/cd0c on /mnt/cd: Input/output error

The cd driver kernel code should spin on that temporary error.
This will be fixed (it was fixed in the st code a while back).

Re: CDROM mounts always on 2nd attempt

Mike Hernandez-3
On Oct 3, 2006, at 4:04 PM, Joachim Schipper wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 08:31:55PM +0200, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
>> When I mount /dev/cd0c I always get this in dmesg:
>> cd0(atapiscsi0:0:0): Check Condition (error 0x70) on opcode 0x0
>>     SENSE KEY: Not Ready
>>          ASC/ASCQ: Logical Unit Is in Process Of Becoming Ready
>>
>> And this in application:
>> root@kestrel:~$ mount /mnt/cd
>> mount_cd9660: /dev/cd0c on /mnt/cd: Input/output error
>>
>> When I retry, it mounts. Do you know what the error messages mean and
>> why it is error? To me it looks like the OS should wait if the
>> unit is not
>> yet ready. What I can hear is that it is spinning up the disk slowly.
>> I don't know why slowly when it's a 50x or 48x speed drive or
>> something like
>> this, but it does.
>>
>> Can I somehow determine the type of the drive? My dmesg is full of
>> these
>> messages:
>> uid 1000 on /: file system full
>> uid 1000 on /: file system full
>> uid 1000 on /: file system full
>
> While I'm not sure about how to deal with the first problem (the
> obvious
> workaround is to run dd if=/dev/rcd0a of=/dev/null count=1 first, or
> somesuch, but that's a workaround), the second is indicative of /
> being
> filled. Don't do that; not doing that is easier if /home is on a
> different partition.
>
> Joachim

Could the first problem occur if the cd is being mounted while it is
still spinning up, i.e. if you attempt to mount immediately upon
inserting the cd? I could be reading too much into the error message
but that's what it looks like it might(tm) mean.

Mike

Re: CDROM mounts always on 2nd attempt

Theo de Raadt
> Could the first problem occur if the cd is being mounted while it is
> still spinning up, i.e. if you attempt to mount immediately upon
> inserting the cd? I could be reading too much into the error message
> but that's what it looks like it might(tm) mean.

That is exactly what it means.  And the CD drive sends a specific error
that our kernel should interpret as "oh what the heck, I'll wait a bit
longer".

That is what will be fixed.  Wait..

Re: CDROM mounts always on 2nd attempt

Paul de Weerd
On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 08:31:55PM +0200, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
| Can I somehow determine the type of the drive? My dmesg is full of these
| messages:
| uid 1000 on /: file system full
| uid 1000 on /: file system full
| uid 1000 on /: file system full

Simply look at /var/run/dmesg.boot, see dmesg(8). (and don't fill /,
that's never a good idea)

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/