Bye bye minitube

David Coppa
It seems Minitube's license changed from GPLv3 to a proprietary one.

Since version 2.1 (released on Jun 28 2013), it has become a
closed-source, binary-only software only available on the Ubuntu
Software Center:
https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/minitube-ubuntu/

So long Minitube and thanks for all the videos :(

Re: Bye bye minitube

Brian Callahan-3
On 7/4/2013 9:12 AM, David Coppa wrote:
> It seems Minitube's license changed from GPLv3 to a proprietary one.
>
> Since version 2.1 (released on Jun 28 2013), it has become a
> closed-source, binary-only software only available on the Ubuntu
> Software Center:
> https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/minitube-ubuntu/
>
> So long Minitube and thanks for all the videos :(

Maybe we should drop audio/musique as well. Seems like only a matter of
time...

Re: Bye bye minitube

Marc Espie-2
On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 03:12:33PM +0200, David Coppa wrote:
> It seems Minitube's license changed from GPLv3 to a proprietary one.
>
> Since version 2.1 (released on Jun 28 2013), it has become a
> closed-source, binary-only software only available on the Ubuntu
> Software Center:
> https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/minitube-ubuntu/
>
> So long Minitube and thanks for all the videos :(

Well, as long as 2.1 works, let's keep it.

And hey, it shouldn't be THAT hard to track youtube-dl.

There's *nothing* that prevents us from doing that.

Re: Bye bye minitube

Edd Barrett
x11/smtube serves a similar purpose anyway. Meh...
On 4 Jul 2013 14:13, "David Coppa" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It seems Minitube's license changed from GPLv3 to a proprietary one.
>
> Since version 2.1 (released on Jun 28 2013), it has become a
> closed-source, binary-only software only available on the Ubuntu
> Software Center:
> https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/minitube-ubuntu/
>
> So long Minitube and thanks for all the videos :(

Re: Bye bye minitube

Amit Kulkarni-5
On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Marc Espie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 03:12:33PM +0200, David Coppa wrote:
> > It seems Minitube's license changed from GPLv3 to a proprietary one.
> >
> > Since version 2.1 (released on Jun 28 2013), it has become a
> > closed-source, binary-only software only available on the Ubuntu
> > Software Center:
> > https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/minitube-ubuntu/
> >
> > So long Minitube and thanks for all the videos :(
>
> Well, as long as 2.1 works, let's keep it.

it won't work for long. youtube keep changing every few months.

> And hey, it shouldn't be THAT hard to track youtube-dl.
>
> There's *nothing* that prevents us from doing that.

i am amazed at the guys who release youtube-dl almost daily.

Re: Bye bye minitube

David Coppa
On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Amit Kulkarni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Marc Espie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 03:12:33PM +0200, David Coppa wrote:
>> > It seems Minitube's license changed from GPLv3 to a proprietary one.
>> >
>> > Since version 2.1 (released on Jun 28 2013), it has become a
>> > closed-source, binary-only software only available on the Ubuntu
>> > Software Center:
>> > https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/minitube-ubuntu/
>> >
>> > So long Minitube and thanks for all the videos :(
>>
>> Well, as long as 2.1 works, let's keep it.
>

> it won't work for long. youtube keep changing every few months.

And now all the critical comments on http://flavio.tordini.org/ have
been deleted (censored).

Ah!Ah!Ah!
Very hilarious...

Re: Bye bye minitube

Stuart Henderson-6
On 2013/07/04 12:33, Amit Kulkarni wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Marc Espie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 03:12:33PM +0200, David Coppa wrote:
> > > It seems Minitube's license changed from GPLv3 to a proprietary one.
> > >
> > > Since version 2.1 (released on Jun 28 2013), it has become a
> > > closed-source, binary-only software only available on the Ubuntu
> > > Software Center:
> > > https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/minitube-ubuntu/
> > >
> > > So long Minitube and thanks for all the videos :(
> >
> > Well, as long as 2.1 works, let's keep it.
> >

> it won't work for long. youtube keep changing every few months.

It's not _that_ bad, youtube support in get-flash-videos only got
totally broken by YT changes something like 2 times in 2 years..
I haven't checked but I don't recall many updates to libquvi
either. It's a bit easier than minitube (which also has to handle
search) but can't be that difficult.

> > And hey, it shouldn't be THAT hard to track youtube-dl.
> >
> > There's *nothing* that prevents us from doing that.
> >

> i am amazed at the guys who release youtube-dl almost daily.

That's not all for youtube changes. Though their screen scraper
does seem a bit more brittle than some.

Re: Bye bye minitube

Lars Engblom
I agree that it is best to keep it until it is not working anymore. If
somebody voluntarily forks it and keeps it working it is really nice.

Smtube & get_flash_videos do not fill the gap of Minitube as they will
not give a continuous sortable playlist. From that list you can delete
unwanted items. You can also sort it according to upload date among
other. This with a continuous playlist is a great feature when you have
kids and you need to keep them distracted for a while.  It is also nice
if you want to listen to some music.

On 07/05/13 12:50, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2013/07/04 12:33, Amit Kulkarni wrote:

>>> Well, as long as 2.1 works, let's keep it.
>>>
>> it won't work for long. youtube keep changing every few months.
> It's not _that_ bad, youtube support in get-flash-videos only got
> totally broken by YT changes something like 2 times in 2 years..
> I haven't checked but I don't recall many updates to libquvi
> either. It's a bit easier than minitube (which also has to handle
> search) but can't be that difficult.
>
>>> And hey, it shouldn't be THAT hard to track youtube-dl.
>>>
>>> There's *nothing* that prevents us from doing that.
>>>

>> i am amazed at the guys who release youtube-dl almost daily.
> That's not all for youtube changes. Though their screen scraper
> does seem a bit more brittle than some.

Re: Bye bye minitube

Paul Irofti-4
On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 03:12:33PM +0200, David Coppa wrote:
> It seems Minitube's license changed from GPLv3 to a proprietary one.
>
> Since version 2.1 (released on Jun 28 2013), it has become a
> closed-source, binary-only software only available on the Ubuntu
> Software Center:
> https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/minitube-ubuntu/

Is this working with compat_linux(8)? :-)