Building OpenBSD

Chuck Robey-5

Re: Building OpenBSD

Dorian Büttner
Chuck Robey schrieb:

Did you not only read the manual but the faq also? And is your system
actually running a version before 2008/11/11?
http://www.de.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade-old.html

Re: Building OpenBSD

Chuck Robey-5
Dorian B|ttner wrote:
> Chuck Robey schrieb:

> Did you not only read the manual but the faq also? And is your system
> actually running a version before 2008/11/11?
> http://www.de.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade-old.html

No, 4.5 just came out, right?  Anyhow, I saw the FAQ about PIE, so my question's
answered, and I hadn't seen those FAQs, so before I go back off from FreeBSD
AGAIN to OpenBSD, I'll just read them all, so thanks for pointing me.

I tell you, I will be plenty happy when I get a filesystem installed between the
two systems, so that I can bring up the same mailer system on both.  I don't
like forever rebooting, and it's making me be too lazy, for bad reasons, but
until I finish my reboot, look at the answer on OpenBSD, then reboot back to
FreeBSD (to answer) I can't tell you the exact date for 4.5, that data's in the
cvs archive, for the 4.5 release tag.  Without looking, I can't even remember
the exact name of the tag (but don't bother telling me, it's really obvious).
That's one reason I was so happy to get that good suggestion for the FS to use
between FreeBSD and OpenBSD.  Getting this new OS up is really turning out to be
fun (I like troubleshooting).

Re: Building OpenBSD

Eric Furman-3
On Wed, 13 May 2009 01:01:40 -0400, "Chuck Robey" <[hidden email]>
said:
> between FreeBSD and OpenBSD.  Getting this new OS up is really turning
> out to be
> fun (I like troubleshooting).

If you like troubleshooting then OpenBSD is going to be no fun for you.
OpenBSD "Just Works"

This isn't Linux or FreeBSD

Re: Building OpenBSD

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
Chuck Robey <[hidden email]> writes:

> Like I said above, I'm getting my sources via cvsup, and since they're the src
> with no tag or date, so I would suppose you'd call this "current".

The general advice for building a system using -current sources is to
start with the most recent snapshot you can get your hands on.

> This is the gcc I just installed from the 4.5 release, installed
> only a week ago.

Yes, but consider this: The release date was set to May 1st mainly in
order to have CDs and other physical items ready by then.  If you look
at the file dates on the CD or the mirrors, you will see that they are
not quite that recent.

What you're seeing is expected.  The time between when the after the
release is cut and sent to CD production and the formal release dates
is when the more radical changes happen in OpenBSD, giving us a
preview of what the next release will be like.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/current.html and the references it contains
will likely make all this a little clearer.

- Peter

Re: Building OpenBSD

dtalk

Re: Building OpenBSD

Nick Guenther
Is that always true? I don't think that's always true. Take wpa-psk
which does not just work for me on current or 4.5, or how I've never
seen linux unable to sleep a laptop but I've plenty of machines that
OpenBSD's sleep is funky with.

The important thing is that that's always the -ideal-, wheras in linux
the goal is just to get things working, not necessarily working
reproducibly well without regard to platform and situations.

-Nick