Booting without keyboard

Mailinglist-2
Hello List,

can someone tell me how to set up openbsd running without a keyboard?

Thanks!

Re: Booting without keyboard

Frank Bax
At 01:34 PM 11/15/05, Mailinglist wrote:

>can someone tell me how to set up openbsd running without a keyboard?

Change BIOS setting to ignore keyboard errors during boot.

Re: Booting without keyboard

Alexander Hall
Mailinglist wrote:
> can someone tell me how to set up openbsd running without a keyboard?

Is the answer not in http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq7.html ?

If not, you need to be more specific.

Re: Booting without keyboard

Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:34:34 +0100
Mailinglist <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> can someone tell me how to set up openbsd running without a keyboard?
>
> Thanks!

1. Configure your BIOS if necessary;
2. Pull the keyboard plug from your computer;
3. Boot OpenBSD.
4. Use a serial console (i.e. for the installation) or SSH to manage your
   computer.

Gosh, how hard can that be? And you couldn't even think of that yourself?

Jasper

"Security is decided by quality" -- Theo de Raadt

Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse schrieb:

>On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:34:34 +0100
>Mailinglist <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Hello List,
>>
>>can someone tell me how to set up openbsd running without a keyboard?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>

>1. Configure your BIOS if necessary;

BIOS was configured.

>2. Pull the keyboard plug from your computer;
>3. Boot OpenBSD.
>4. Use a serial console (i.e. for the installation) or SSH to manage your
>   computer.

I use serial console now. Thanks for help.

>Gosh, how hard can that be? And you couldn't even think of that yourself?

IB4m new to OpenBSD. IB4m reading many articels and howtos over the last
to weeks.
Nevertheless I have lacks in handling OpenBSD.
Perhaps I shell figure out my problems better in the future.

>Jasper

Re: Booting without keyboard

Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:03:10 +0100
Mailinglist <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]
> IB4m new to OpenBSD. IB4m reading many articels and howtos over the last
> to weeks.
The FAQ is a _very_ good starting point.

Cheers,
Jasper

"Security is decided by quality" -- Theo de Raadt

Re: Booting without keyboard

Mailinglist-2
Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse schrieb:

>On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:03:10 +0100
>Mailinglist <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>[...]
>

>>IB4m new to OpenBSD. IB4m reading many articels and howtos over the last
>>to weeks.
>>

>The FAQ is a _very_ good starting point.
>
>Cheers,
>Jasper

Im reading.... _and_ the FAQ too....

Openbsd and vsftpd with virtual users

Mikael Jirari
Hello,

I'd like to install vsftpd with virtual users on my openbsd system.
I read the documentation and at step 2 it says:

"Step 2) Create a PAM file which uses your new database.

See the example file vsftpd.pam. It contains two lines:
auth required /lib/security/pam_userdb.so db=/etc/vsftpd_login
account required /lib/security/pam_userdb.so db=/etc/vsftpd_login

This tells PAM to authenticate users using our new database. Copy this
PAM
file to the PAM directory - typically /etc/pam.d/
cp vsftpd.pam /etc/pam.d/ftp"

The problem is that there is no pam.d with OpenBsd.

I read elsewhere that some people say that ldap could be used but I'd
like to know if there is a simple way to configure vsftpd with virtual
users that requires a minimal configuration.

Also, I'd like to know how to start the server after I installed it
through the ports because I didn't find so far.

Thanx

Re: Openbsd and vsftpd with virtual users

Alexandre Anriot
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to install vsftpd with virtual users on my openbsd system.
> I read the documentation and at step 2 it says:
>
> "Step 2) Create a PAM file which uses your new database.
>
> See the example file vsftpd.pam. It contains two lines:
> auth required /lib/security/pam_userdb.so db=/etc/vsftpd_login
> account required /lib/security/pam_userdb.so db=/etc/vsftpd_login
>
> This tells PAM to authenticate users using our new database. Copy this
> PAM
> file to the PAM directory - typically /etc/pam.d/
> cp vsftpd.pam /etc/pam.d/ftp"
>
> The problem is that there is no pam.d with OpenBsd.

> I read elsewhere that some people say that ldap could be used but I'd
> like to know if there is a simple way to configure vsftpd with virtual
> users that requires a minimal configuration.

vsftpd's virtual users support is working with pam_userdb or pam_pwdfile
PAM modules, and there's no way to use this feature without PAM.

> Also, I'd like to know how to start the server after I installed it
> through the ports because I didn't find so far.

You can launch it either from the command line by calling it (if you
have listen=Yes in the config file) or through inetd with:

ftp stream tcp nowait root ${LOCALBASE}/sbin/vsftpd vsftpd

You can take a look at the documentation for details (run it with TCP
WRAPPERS etc.)

Re: Booting without keyboard

Roy Morris-4
Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:03:10 +0100
>Mailinglist <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>[...]
>

>>IB4m new to OpenBSD. IB4m reading many articels and howtos over the last
>>to weeks.
>>

>The FAQ is a _very_ good starting point.
>
>Cheers,
>Jasper

how about this, I thought it was very cool
http://www.weirdnet.nl/openbsd/serial/