Boot disk decryption fails

Stephan Mending
Hi *,

since the snapshot of yesterday (could as well be the one of the day
before) I am unable to decrypt my disks preboot.

When entering my passphrase after being prompted to do so it tells me
that pbkdf_decrypt failed. This issue persists. I've tried several
different harddrives. I tried the current snapshot I've tried the 6.7
release version. Even on fresh installs, same piece of cake.

I don't have time right now to debug this problem. I'll get to it  this
evening after work is over.

I posted this question just in case anybody else already knows the answer.

Best regards,

Stephan

Re: Boot disk decryption fails

Joel Sing-3
On 20-05-20 11:53:18, Stephan Mending wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> since the snapshot of yesterday (could as well be the one of the day before)
> I am unable to decrypt my disks preboot.

By "preboot" do you mean from the boot loader?

> When entering my passphrase after being prompted to do so it tells me that
> pbkdf_decrypt failed. This issue persists. I've tried several different
> harddrives. I tried the current snapshot I've tried the 6.7 release version.
> Even on fresh installs, same piece of cake.

As far as I can see, 'pbkdf_decrypt' does not exist in the source tree.
The closest would probably have been the old boot loader which had
'pbkdf2 failed' - from 2016 onwards it is 'pkcs5_pbkdf2 failed' or
'bcrypt_pbkdf failed'.

> I don't have time right now to debug this problem. I'll get to it?? this
> evening after work is over.
>
> I posted this question just in case anybody else already knows the answer.

My best guess is that you're trying to unlock newer softraid crypto volumes
that are using bcrypt_pbkdf, with a very old boot loader that does not
support this and thinks that it is pkcs5_pbkdf.

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 07:16:20PM +1000, Joel Sing wrote:
> On 20-05-20 11:53:18, Stephan Mending wrote:
> > Hi *,
> >
> > since the snapshot of yesterday (could as well be the one of the day before)
> > I am unable to decrypt my disks preboot.
>
> By "preboot" do you mean from the boot loader?
By preboot I meant the state the bootloader is in while it is waiting for me to enter the passphrase.

> > When entering my passphrase after being prompted to do so it tells me that
> > pbkdf_decrypt failed. This issue persists. I've tried several different
> > harddrives. I tried the current snapshot I've tried the 6.7 release version.
> > Even on fresh installs, same piece of cake.
>
> As far as I can see, 'pbkdf_decrypt' does not exist in the source tree.
> The closest would probably have been the old boot loader which had
> 'pbkdf2 failed' - from 2016 onwards it is 'pkcs5_pbkdf2 failed' or
> 'bcrypt_pbkdf failed'.
I screwed up there I meant to say: "bcrypt_pbkdf".

> > I don't have time right now to debug this problem. I'll get to it?? this
> > evening after work is over.
> >
> > I posted this question just in case anybody else already knows the answer.
>
> My best guess is that you're trying to unlock newer softraid crypto volumes
> that are using bcrypt_pbkdf, with a very old boot loader that does not
> support this and thinks that it is pkcs5_pbkdf.
This machine was -current since months before. I think I mislead you with the wrong information I gave above. Am sorry
for that!

> > Best regards,
> >
> > Stephan

Hi,
the day after the problem was somehow resolved. I didn't try the release again yet. Just because I am at the moment
really short of time. Though it still shouldn't work out using the release.

Best regards,
Stephan