Bluetooth roadmap?

asmith-4
Is there a roadmap for future Bluetooth support or is Bluetooth as
'supported as it's ever going to be' with the ubt driver?

I am curious because I find the Zaurus OpenBSD distribution a fantastic
environment that is so useful and I feel that the stability of this
environment will bear fruit in the longer term as more people switch from
Linux on this device to the maturity of the OpenBSD distribution.

There are some 'niceities' missing that would be available with a GNU/Linux
distribution but they are minor sacrifices compared with the satisfaction of
having an environment that is synchronised in version and feature set
against all other architecture releases.

One awkward factor is for the user that carries this device and wants to use
it as a device where they access the internet over a cellphone with
Bluetooth.. a good fit for the device would be to be able to support CF
based Bluetooth cards which could live in the device rather than temporarily
attaching USB Bluetooth dongles. I guess that this may be a mainstream
question about the necessity of supporting Bluetooth as a whole on OpenBSD
and not just for the Zaurus platform, however, at the moment it is probable
one of the most critical usability queries over OpenBSD on the platform.

So, is there a roadmap? What are the factors with CF Bluetooth that may make
is inacceptable to consider for OpenBSD? If a port of CF Bluetooth was made
is there any overriding factor (apart from coding style, quality of code
etc.) that may make is unacceptable for inclusion in OpenBSD?

- Andy

Re: Bluetooth roadmap?

Otto Moerbeek
On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Andrew Smith wrote:

> Is there a roadmap for future Bluetooth support or is Bluetooth as
> 'supported as it's ever going to be' with the ubt driver?

We don't develop roadmaps, we develop code.

[snip]

> So, is there a roadmap? What are the factors with CF Bluetooth that may make
> is inacceptable to consider for OpenBSD? If a port of CF Bluetooth was made
> is there any overriding factor (apart from coding style, quality of code
> etc.) that may make is unacceptable for inclusion in OpenBSD?

grange@ has been working on BlueTooth in the past, but not a lot has
happened recently.

If you want better support, contact developers to check what they need
to improve support. It may be hardware, software, documentation, time
or just money. Don't forget that one typical application --a phone
that uses GPRS or UMTS to connect to the inernet-- also costs (a lot
of) money to use.  If you want well tested software, that cost needs
to be payed too.

There are some security issues with BlueTooth however, maybe somebody
else knows a bit more about that.

        -Otto

Re: Bluetooth roadmap?

Marco Peereboom
On Jan 25, 2006, at 12:04 PM, Andrew Smith wrote:

> Is there a roadmap for future Bluetooth support or is Bluetooth as
> 'supported as it's ever going to be' with the ubt driver?

Roadmap?  wow if I close my eyes it feels just like work.

Come one, this is OpenBSD!  As Otto said we do code not blah blah.

I do know that ober did some work on this.  Might want to poke him.

Re: Bluetooth roadmap?

ober-4
I am not working on it, and don't plan to.

-Ober

Richard Chesler: [Reading a piece of paper] The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club?
Narrator: [Voice-over] I'm half asleep again; I must've left the original in the copy machine.
Richard Chesler: The second rule of Fight Club - is this yours?
Narrator: Huh?
Richard Chesler: Pretend you're me, make a managerial decision: you find this, what would you do?