Bluetooth on Zaurus SL-C3200

openbsd-16
Does anyone know of an overview-type ("howto") document for doing
bluetooth on OBSD?  I'm running 4.4 (on a PC and a Zaurus SL-C3200) and
have plugged a bluetooth adapter that is at least 2 years old (but fully
functional on other machines) into the USB port of my Zaurus and looking
at dmesg, it seems to be fully recognized, but I don't know how to do in
OBSD some of the basic bluetoothy things like going into discoverable
mode and file transfer and things like that.  I've googled at length for
such documents, but have found nothing helpful.  Any suggestions?

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to use things like a bluetooth keyboard
and mouse with the Zaurus in OBSD when I have the physical desktop space
to allow for that.  Does anyone know whether that's currently possible
in 4.4?

Thanks.

Otis

Re: Bluetooth on Zaurus SL-C3200

michael enoma aghayere
2009/2/16  <[hidden email]>:

> Does anyone know of an overview-type ("howto") document for doing
> bluetooth on OBSD?  I'm running 4.4 (on a PC and a Zaurus SL-C3200) and
> have plugged a bluetooth adapter that is at least 2 years old (but fully
> functional on other machines) into the USB port of my Zaurus and looking
> at dmesg, it seems to be fully recognized, but I don't know how to do in
> OBSD some of the basic bluetoothy things like going into discoverable
> mode and file transfer and things like that.  I've googled at length for
> such documents, but have found nothing helpful.  Any suggestions?
>
> Ultimately, I'd like to be able to use things like a bluetooth keyboard
> and mouse with the Zaurus in OBSD when I have the physical desktop space
> to allow for that.  Does anyone know whether that's currently possible
> in 4.4?
Hi,

Have you included your dmesg?
Have you tried bluetooth-tools from packages?

--
~michael
www.BSDqed.com

Re: Bluetooth on Zaurus SL-C3200

openbsd-16
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:06:25 +1000, "michael enoma aghayere"
<[hidden email]> said:

> 2009/2/16  <[hidden email]>:
> > Does anyone know of an overview-type ("howto") document for doing
> > bluetooth on OBSD?  I'm running 4.4 (on a PC and a Zaurus SL-C3200) and
> > have plugged a bluetooth adapter that is at least 2 years old (but fully
> > functional on other machines) into the USB port of my Zaurus and looking
> > at dmesg, it seems to be fully recognized, but I don't know how to do in
> > OBSD some of the basic bluetoothy things like going into discoverable
> > mode and file transfer and things like that.  I've googled at length for
> > such documents, but have found nothing helpful.  Any suggestions?
> >
> > Ultimately, I'd like to be able to use things like a bluetooth keyboard
> > and mouse with the Zaurus in OBSD when I have the physical desktop space
> > to allow for that.  Does anyone know whether that's currently possible
> > in 4.4?
> Hi,
>
> Have you included your dmesg?

No, but do I really need to as a prerequisite for getting a
documentation reference?  In case the answer's yes, here's what shows up
in my dmesg when I plug in the USB BT adapter:

uhub1 at uhub0 port 2 "Broadcom BCM2045B2" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 2
ugen0 at uhub1 port 1 "Broadcom Corp BCM92045DG-Flash_UHE" rev 2.00/1.00
addr 3
uhidev0 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0 "Broadcom Corp
BCM92045DG-Flash_UHE" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 4
uhidev0: iclass 3/1
ukbd0 at uhidev0: 8 modifier keys, 6 key codes
wskbd2 at ukbd0 mux 1
wskbd2: connectin gto wsdisplay0
uhidev1 at uhub1 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0 "Broadcom Corp
BCM92045DG-Flash_HE" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 5
uhidev1: iclass 3/1
ums0 at uhidev1: 3 buttons
wsmouse1 at ums0 mux 0
ugen0 detached
wskbd2: disconnecting from wsdisplay0
wskbd2 detached
ukbd0 detached
uhidev0 detached
wsmouse1 detached
ums0 detached
uhidev1 detached
uhub1 detached
uhub1 at uhub0 port 2 "Broadcom BCM2045B2" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 2
ugen0 at uhub1 port 1 "Broadcom Corp BCM92045DG-Flash_UHE" rev 2.00/1.00
addr 3
uhidev0 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0 "Broadcom Corp
BCM92045DG-Flash_UHE" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 4
uhidev0: iclass 3/1
ukbd0 at uhidev0: 8 modifier keys, 6 key codes
wskbd2 at ukbd0 mux1
wskbd2: connecting to wsdisplay0
uhidev1 at uhub1 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0 "Broadcom Corp
BCM92045DG-Flash_UHE" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 5
uhidev1: iclass 3/1
ums0 at uhidev1: 3 buttons
wsmouse1 at ums0 mux0

> Have you tried bluetooth-tools from packages?

Thank you michael.  No, I hadn't.  I've installed it now, so that's
given me a start.

But what I'm really after is something high level (more high level than
a man page for a single utility like btconfig or btdevctl) like
<http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/netbsd.html#chap-bluetooth>.  By
any chance, is that documentation accurate for OpenBSD as well as NetBSD
(apparently not, but is it even close)?  Or is there something that
would give me the same basics for doing bluetooth on OpenBSD?

I hope asking a question like that here won't get me flamed.  I realize
the OpenBSD folks pride themselves on correct code and excellent
documentation, and that OpenBSD started life as a fork of NetBSD more
than a decade ago, but try as I might, I can find nothing like this
reference on bluetooth for OpenBSD.  Would someone be so kind as to
share a pointer if you know of one?

I'd like to be able to do basic bluetoothy stuff like pair and use
various bluetooth devices (headset, keyboard, mouse, or whatever) with
my Zaurus.

These words below from the reference above would be most helpful if I
knew they applied to OpenBSD as well as NetBSD (or if I knew something
similar in scope for OBSD):

To fully enable Bluetooth services on NetBSD, the following lines should
be added to the /etc/rc.conf  file.

btconfig=YES
btconfig_args="up pscan switch class 0x02010c"
btdevctl=YES
bthcid=YES
sdpd=YES

and either reboot, or execute the following commands:

# /etc/rc.d/btconfig start
# /etc/rc.d/bthcid start
# /etc/rc.d/btdevctl start
# /etc/rc.d/sdpd start

But of course OpenBSD doesn't even have a directory named /etc/rc.d so
obviously, this isn't completely accurate for OpenBSD.

I looked (with find) for any files in the /etc directory tree that
contained the string "bt" in their filename just on the off-chance, but
there was only /etc/fbtab and /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/bt.  I looked for
a README in both bluetooth-libs and bluetooth-tools but there was none.
Since I'm trying to configure and not to program, neither man 3
bluetooth nor man 4 bluetooth was helpful to me and I checked the other
sections of the manual for other documents but there was nothing.

I did add the lines to my /etc/rc.conf.local and rebooted with the BT
adapter plugged in, but pretty much as I expected, I seem to be no
closer to my goal than before as a result.  Rebooting with the BT
adapter inserted into the USB port didn't even wake up the adapter; I
had to unplug and replug it into USB again after rebooting to get it to
turn on.

Otis