Bluetooth in OpenBSD

zoraya
I did a dmesg trying to use a bluetooth adaptor to connect to the mobile
phone and use it as a modem, which I can't fully post here as the OBSD3.8
is installed in a laptop without internet access but I copied by hand the
lines relating to the bluetooth adaptor and this is what is says on the
lines where Bluetooth is named:

"
root on wd0a
rootdev=0x0 rrootdev=0x300 rawdev=0x302
ugen0 at uhub1 port 1
ugen0: Broadcom Belkin Bluetooth Device, rev 1.10/0.01 , addr2
syncing disks...

"

then it gets named on another line:

"

ugen0: Broadcom Belkin Bluetooth Device, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2
dkcsum:wd0 matches BIOS drive 0x80
root on wd0a

"

I hope this information is enough to understand how it works, I have seen
"not configured" anywhere it looks to me like the device is recognised by
OBSD3.8, if I am right I would appreciate some help configuring this so
that I can use the mobile phone to dial up and connect to the net, if I
manage I will send the full dmseg to the list.

In the ppp.conf file I have the cua0 as a dev I do not know if this is the
right one as that was meant to be for a modem.

Zoraya

Re: Bluetooth in OpenBSD

Lukasz Sztachanski
On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 10:36:52AM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> "
> root on wd0a
> rootdev=0x0 rrootdev=0x300 rawdev=0x302
> ugen0 at uhub1 port 1
> ugen0: Broadcom Belkin Bluetooth Device, rev 1.10/0.01 , addr2
> syncing disks...

ugen(4) is a generic usb driver, for devices which doesn't have any
special driver.
Actually, you can't do much with it - e.g. my digital camera is recognized
as ugen0, and i can use it only with `driver independent' libgphoto(
which uses own protocols and drivers to access digicam trough generic usb
driver).

                                - Lukasz Sztachanski

--
0x058B7133 // 16AB 4EBC 29DA D92D 8DBE  BC01 FC91 9EF7 058B 7133
http://entropy.pl

Re: Bluetooth in OpenBSD

On 2006/04/05 10:36, [hidden email] wrote:
> ugen0: Broadcom Belkin Bluetooth Device, rev 1.10/0.01 , addr2

ugen(4) says:

   The ugen driver provides support for all USB devices that do not have a
   special driver.  It supports access to all parts of the device, but not
   in a way that is as convenient as a special purpose driver.

This means you need special software that knows how to talk to the
device, it's not supported as a standard serial port etc.

It's not bluetooth, but some phones support a data cable which will
attach to ucom(4):

   The ucom driver attaches to USB modems, serial ports, and other devices
   that need to look like a tty.  The ucom driver shows a behaviour like a
   tty(4).  This means that normal programs such as tip(1) or pppd(8) can be
   used to access the device.

This has the advantage of not requiring Bluetooth to be enabled on your
phone (read about bluebug, first google hit, if you want some reasons why
this might not be desirable - who knows what else may be lurking?).