Bluetooth Support

Marco Menne
Hello there,

I installed OpenBSD 6.4 on an old iMac from 2010 and nearly everything
works fine. The sound is cruel but this is a minor problem.
The Apple has a Bluetooth keyboard and I do not find a way to get it
working. I read in some forum that Bluetooth is not supported in OpenBSD.
Is this true?
I can use an USB-Keyboard, of course, but the Apple keyboard is fine and it
would be a little bit sad, if I had to change to an usb one.

Greetings, Marco
- - -
Marco Menne
[hidden email]
GnuPG-Public-Key:
https://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x96A01AB59F6F7ECF

Re: Bluetooth Support

jungle Boogie
On Tue 30 Oct 2018  9:07 PM, Marco Menne wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I installed OpenBSD 6.4 on an old iMac from 2010 and nearly everything
> works fine. The sound is cruel but this is a minor problem.
> The Apple has a Bluetooth keyboard and I do not find a way to get it
> working. I read in some forum that Bluetooth is not supported in OpenBSD.
> Is this true?
> I can use an USB-Keyboard, of course, but the Apple keyboard is fine and it
> would be a little bit sad, if I had to change to an usb one.

If you want bluetooth support, you'll need to go all the way back to a
completely unsupport release from May 2014 for release 5.5. All releases since
then have not had bluetooth.

> Greetings, Marco
> - - -
> Marco Menne
> [hidden email]
> GnuPG-Public-Key:
> https://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x96A01AB59F6F7ECF

Re: Bluetooth Support

Chris Narkiewicz
W dniu 30/10/2018 o 20:07, Marco Menne pisze:
> I read in some forum that Bluetooth is not supported in OpenBSD.
> Is this true?

It was, but bt was removed.

http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/netbt/Attic/bluetooth.h

Revision 1.7, Fri Jul 11 21:54:38 2014 UTC (4 years, 3 months ago) by tedu
Branch: MAIN
CVS Tags: HEAD
Changes since 1.6: +1 -1 lines
FILE REMOVED

"It's not the years, honey; it's the mileage."

bluetooth support doesn't work and isn't going anywhere. the current
design is a dead end, and should not be the basis for any future support.
general consensus says to whack it so as to not mislead the unwary.

Re: Bluetooth Support

Marco Menne
Okay, thank you for these detailed answer. Now, I do not need to search for
further information.

Marco
- - -
Marco Menne
[hidden email]
GnuPG-Public-Key:
https://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x96A01AB59F6F7ECF

On 2018-10-30, Marco Menne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I installed OpenBSD 6.4 on an old iMac from 2010 and nearly everything
> works fine. The sound is cruel but this is a minor problem.
> The Apple has a Bluetooth keyboard and I do not find a way to get it
> working. I read in some forum that Bluetooth is not supported in OpenBSD.
> Is this true?
> I can use an USB-Keyboard, of course, but the Apple keyboard is fine and it
> would be a little bit sad, if I had to change to an usb one.
>
> Greetings, Marco
> - - -
> Marco Menne
> [hidden email]
> GnuPG-Public-Key:
> https://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x96A01AB59F6F7ECF

AIUI the firmware on some Apples does actually present a Bluetooth
keyboard as a standard keyboard, but I suspect this one will be too
old for this and would need an OS that has its own Bluetooth support.

Re: Bluetooth Support

Martin Brandenburg
> From [hidden email] Tue Oct 30 19:32:56 2018
> To: [hidden email]
> From: Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Bluetooth Support
> Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 23:24:04 +0000 (UTC)
>
> On 2018-10-30, Marco Menne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello there,
> >
> > I installed OpenBSD 6.4 on an old iMac from 2010 and nearly everything
> > works fine. The sound is cruel but this is a minor problem.
> > The Apple has a Bluetooth keyboard and I do not find a way to get it
> > working. I read in some forum that Bluetooth is not supported in OpenBSD.
> > Is this true?
> > I can use an USB-Keyboard, of course, but the Apple keyboard is fine and it
> > would be a little bit sad, if I had to change to an usb one.
> >
> > Greetings, Marco
> > - - -
> > Marco Menne
> > [hidden email]
> > GnuPG-Public-Key:
> > https://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x96A01AB59F6F7ECF
> >

> AIUI the firmware on some Apples does actually present a Bluetooth
> keyboard as a standard keyboard, but I suspect this one will be too
> old for this and would need an OS that has its own Bluetooth support.

Way back in 2012, I ran OpenBSD on a 2008 MacBook Pro with a Bluetooth
keyboard and it presented as USB and worked fine.

I ran it for a while actually before I realized and had to ask myself
how in the world this even works.

Marco, you can test this easily without installing simply by checking to
see if you can type at the bootloader prompt.

Fwd: Bluetooth Support

Marco Menne
That is true. It seems not to be a standart keyboard. One time I tried
to connect it with my Android tablet, but without success. Some Linux
distributions had also problems with it. But it works under Ubuntu and
OpenSuse.
It doesn't matter. I put it away and use another USB-Keyboard.
Your answer saved me more time for searching. I will get rid of the
Bluetooth keyboard and use my time for getting deeper into OpenBSD :-) .

Marco Menne

Re: Bluetooth Support

Marco Menne
Thanks for your help, but this does not work. The Bluetooth keyboard is
not recognized from the system.
As I wrote before, I closed this issue and use an USB-keyboard.
Bluetooth I never liked. :-)

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 07:36:40PM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:

> > From [hidden email] Tue Oct 30 19:32:56 2018
> > To: [hidden email]
> > From: Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Re: Bluetooth Support
> > Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 23:24:04 +0000 (UTC)
> >
> > On 2018-10-30, Marco Menne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hello there,
> > >
> > > I installed OpenBSD 6.4 on an old iMac from 2010 and nearly everything
> > > works fine. The sound is cruel but this is a minor problem.
> > > The Apple has a Bluetooth keyboard and I do not find a way to get it
> > > working. I read in some forum that Bluetooth is not supported in OpenBSD.
> > > Is this true?
> > > I can use an USB-Keyboard, of course, but the Apple keyboard is fine and it
> > > would be a little bit sad, if I had to change to an usb one.
> > >
> > > Greetings, Marco
> > > - - -
> > > Marco Menne
> > > [hidden email]
> > > GnuPG-Public-Key:
> > > https://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x96A01AB59F6F7ECF
> > >

> > AIUI the firmware on some Apples does actually present a Bluetooth
> > keyboard as a standard keyboard, but I suspect this one will be too
> > old for this and would need an OS that has its own Bluetooth support.
> >

> Way back in 2012, I ran OpenBSD on a 2008 MacBook Pro with a Bluetooth
> keyboard and it presented as USB and worked fine.
>
> I ran it for a while actually before I realized and had to ask myself
> how in the world this even works.
>
> Marco, you can test this easily without installing simply by checking to
> see if you can type at the bootloader prompt.

--
Marco Menne

Re: Bluetooth Support

Kevin Chadwick-4
On 10/31/18 9:42 AM, Marco Menne wrote:
> Bluetooth I never liked. :-)

Especially when the Bluetooth spec, specified ecdh without following the
security requirements of must validate the curves as clearly laid out by GECC
(guide to ECC).

I guess Linux and some Intel products did the same or copied code.

Unbelievable!