Bitcoin client for OpenBSD?

Anonymous-69
Is there a bitcoin client for OpenBSD or is anyone porting one? Seems like
OpenBSD would be a good OS to host a client considering there are viruses
and exploits of that well known *cough* OS *cough* that too many people use.

Re: Bitcoin client for OpenBSD?

Anthony J. Bentley-3
Anonymous writes:
> Is there a bitcoin client for OpenBSD or is anyone porting one?

pstumpf@ posted one to ports@ a few months back:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=133804045927036&w=2

Haven't heard of any updates since then.

Re: Bitcoin client for OpenBSD?

Gregor Best
On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 07:12:35PM +0000, Anonymous wrote:
> Is there a bitcoin client for OpenBSD or is anyone porting one? Seems like
> OpenBSD would be a good OS to host a client considering there are viruses
> and exploits of that well known *cough* OS *cough* that too many people use.

The regular bitcoind compiles relatively cleanly. I have a few patches
lying around, but it mostly boils down to adding

        || __OpenBSD__

in the places gcc complains. I'll try to get the patches into a port
ASAP, but I'm kinda swamped right now, so don't hold your breath (and
maybe ports@ won't even accept the port :) If you want, I can send the
diff to you off-list though.

    Gregor Best

Re: Bitcoin client for OpenBSD?

Anonymous Remailer (austria)
You wrote:

> Anonymous writes:
> > Is there a bitcoin client for OpenBSD or is anyone porting one?
>
> pstumpf@ posted one to ports@ a few months back:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=133804045927036&w=2
>
> Haven't heard of any updates since then.

Thanks I'll have a look.

Re: Bitcoin client for OpenBSD?

markwhite-3
> Thanks I'll have a look.

It's quite interesting to see a bitcoin post on @misc. Regardless of what
people think, it's a really cool design.

Re: Bitcoin client for OpenBSD?

Dave U. Random
If you can post the diff here I'll pick it up that way. Thank you.

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 07:12:35PM +0000, Anonymous wrote:
> > Is there a bitcoin client for OpenBSD or is anyone porting one? Seems
> like OpenBSD would be a good OS to host a client considering there are
> viruses and exploits of that well known *cough* OS *cough* that too many
> people use.
> >

> The regular bitcoind compiles relatively cleanly. I have a few patches
> lying around, but it mostly boils down to adding
>
> || __OpenBSD__
>
> in the places gcc complains. I'll try to get the patches into a port
> ASAP, but I'm kinda swamped right now, so don't hold your breath (and
> maybe ports@ won't even accept the port :) If you want, I can send the
> diff to you off-list though.

>     Gregor Best

Re: Bitcoin client for OpenBSD?

Fritz Wuehler-10
You wrote:

> > Thanks I'll have a look.
>
> It's quite interesting to see a bitcoin post on @misc. Regardless of what
> people think, it's a really cool design.

Researching more on this it seems the days of private mining by individuals
may be over already. People have created mining pools to use networks of
computers like folding@home but for money obviously and are getting pretty
advanced like mining with high-end video cards. People are even designing
dedicated ASIC's but so far none have been delivered and when they're ready
they may be sold to select individuals running pools or other bitcoin
operations putting the regular guy at a further disadvantage. Bottom line
appears to be a lone miner with a normal desktop computer is not going to be
able to do anything but heat up his room. I agree bitcoin is a cool concept
and design and the history is fascinating. But we are probably priced out.

Re: Bitcoin client for OpenBSD?

Artturi Alm
2012/10/16 Fritz Wuehler <[hidden email]>:
> ...snip... Bottom line
> appears to be a lone miner with a normal desktop computer is not going to be
> able to do anything but heat up his room. I agree bitcoin is a cool concept
> and design and the history is fascinating. But we are probably priced out.

I don't see much difference to 'real money' when thinking from
standpoint of a lone miner with a normal desktop printer.
we don't create the money, we just trade it, be it buying things or
working to earn it etc..

-Artturi

You wrote:

> 2012/10/16 Fritz Wuehler <[hidden email]>:
> > ...snip... Bottom line
> > appears to be a lone miner with a normal desktop computer is not going to be
> > able to do anything but heat up his room. I agree bitcoin is a cool concept
> > and design and the history is fascinating. But we are probably priced out.
> >

> I don't see much difference to 'real money' when thinking from
> standpoint of a lone miner with a normal desktop printer.
> we don't create the money, we just trade it, be it buying things or
> working to earn it etc..

That's a good comparison and it is the point I was making. Nobody has ever
legally printed money with his own printer but people have been able to mine
bitcoins with their own computers until recently. That was the original
point of bitcoin and it is already on the verge of disappearing. bitcoin was
supposed to be decentralized currency but because of increasing resources
needed for mining that part is no longer relevant.

Do you really want another unelected federal reserve board of bitcoin? That
kind of defeats the purpose.

Re: Bitcoin client for OpenBSD?

russell-38
On 10/16/2012 04:06 PM, Anonymous wrote:

> You wrote:
>
>> 2012/10/16 Fritz Wuehler <[hidden email]>:
>>> ...snip... Bottom line
>>> appears to be a lone miner with a normal desktop computer is not going to be
>>> able to do anything but heat up his room. I agree bitcoin is a cool concept
>>> and design and the history is fascinating. But we are probably priced out.
>>>

>> I don't see much difference to 'real money' when thinking from
>> standpoint of a lone miner with a normal desktop printer.
>> we don't create the money, we just trade it, be it buying things or
>> working to earn it etc..
>
> That's a good comparison and it is the point I was making. Nobody has ever
> legally printed money with his own printer but people have been able to mine
> bitcoins with their own computers until recently. That was the original
> point of bitcoin and it is already on the verge of disappearing. bitcoin was
> supposed to be decentralized currency but because of increasing resources
> needed for mining that part is no longer relevant.
>
> Do you really want another unelected federal reserve board of bitcoin? That
> kind of defeats the purpose.

Yes, the point of mining was to have a decentralized method of
destributing bitcoins.

The guy who invented the system could of said "hey I have 23 million
cryptographic tokens, lets use them as currency!" and start passing them
out and he would have been rightly laughed out of the room.

So he spent a lot of effort to invent a system where the tokens
emerge(with effort) out of thin air. The end result is the same, 23
million cryptographic tokens, but now they are spread around and people
feel they have real value(sometimes).

Not sure if bitcoin will work, but I do admire the system that got it
out there.

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 05:03:47AM +0200, Dave U. Random wrote:
> If you can post the diff here I'll pick it up that way. Thank you.
> [...]

The diff is at http://unobtanium.de/static/bitcoin-v0.6.1-openbsd.diff
As visible from the filename, the patch is intended for the v0.6.1
source of bitcoin. It allows building the bitcoin daemon with the
regular

        cd src; gmake -f makefile.unix

The patch _should_ work for current git HEAD, but I couldn't verify that
since g++ consumes an awful lot of memory when compiling (even v0.6.1)
which led to out of memory situations when compiling HEAD. YMMV.

There has been a post to ports@ a few months (IIRC) ago with a proper
port of bitcoin (not done by me), maybe that works out better for you.

--
    Gregor Best