Become a OpenBSD Mirror

Albert Hui-2
Hello,

I would like to give back to the OpenBSD project by becoming a web
mirror. What is the application process and resource requirements for this ?

Thanks,

Albert

Re: Become a OpenBSD Mirror

matteo filippetto
2010/1/27 Albert Hui <[hidden email]>

> Hello,
>
> I would like to give back to the OpenBSD project by becoming a web mirror.
> What is the application process and resource requirements for this ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Albert

Hi, this page explains you what you should know

http://www.openbsd.org/ftp.html

Best regards
Matteo Filippetto

Re: Become a OpenBSD Mirror

Nick Holland
Albert Hui wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to give back to the OpenBSD project by becoming a web
> mirror. What is the application process and resource requirements for this ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Albert

a website mirror?
Please don't...UNLESS you are in an area which has poor connectivity
to www.openbsd.org and you can truly provide better service to your
users than www.openbsd.org can and does.  Otherwise, all you do is
provide yet another site we need to check once in a while to make sure
 it is really up-to-date, so you don't delude the few users who will
be using your site.

On the other hand...if you are talking about a DOWNLOAD or anoncvs
mirror, cool..that we can use, IF properly done.
You will need snootloads of unmetered bandwidth, some good hardware,
some spare good hardware for when your production hardware craps out,
and it needs to be something that you need regularly yourself.  That
way, when things break, it will annoy you so you quickly fix it.
Unmaintained, unsupervised mirrors help no one.

You will (currently) need somewhere around 500G, a lot more if you
wish to provide historical data.  Don't go gonzo on hardware -- I set
one up with a massive disk array, and feeds data at a rate that could
probably be handled by a single SATA disk pretty well, and the
complexity hurts us more than helps us.  Enough RAM to have a big MFS
for the anoncvs /tmp dir is a really good thing for performance.  Some
kind of backup so when you blow out your storage you don't have to
reload completely from upstream is good.

A short domain name is good, too.

If still interested, set it up, show us, and if it fits the
requirements spelled out on ftp.html, we'll list you.

Nick.