Beagle Bone Black - Display

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Beagle Bone Black - Display

Guillaume Simon - Mailoo
Hello,

I've recently seen there is now a display driver for BBB, but after
having installed OpenBSD 6.4 on my BBB, I don't succeed to make it work.

I plugged the screen before booting (as written in amdisplay's man
page), but it remains black on boot.

amdisplay/nxphdmi drivers don't appear in the "supported hardware"
sections of armv7 docs :

- https://www.openbsd.org/armv7.html

- https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.4/armv7/INSTALL.armv7

Are they not stable enough to be listed ?

Or are they supposed to work flawlessly ? (In this case, I would be very
happy if someone gives me some pointers to make my display work)


Regards,

Guillaume SIMON


OpenBSD 6.4 (GENERIC) #71: Fri Oct 12 17:19:19 MDT 2018
[hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/armv7/compile/GENERIC
real memĀ  = 536870912 (512MB)
avail mem = 516141056 (492MB)
mainbus0 at root: TI AM335x BeagleBone Black
cpu0 at mainbus0: ARM Cortex-A8 r3p2 (ARMv7)
cpu0: DC enabled IC enabled WB disabled EABT branch prediction enabled
cpu0: 32KB(64b/l,4way) I-cache, 32KB(64b/l,4way) wr-back D-cache
omap0 at mainbus0
prcm0 at omap0 rev 0.2
dmtimer0 at omap0 rev 3.1
dmtimer1 at omap0 rev 3.1
simplebus0 at mainbus0: "ocp"
simplebus1 at simplebus0: "l4_wkup"
simplebus2 at simplebus1: "prcm"
simplebus3 at simplebus1: "scm"
syscon0 at simplebus3: "scm_conf"
pinctrl0 at simplebus3
simplebus4 at simplebus3: "scm_conf"
intc0 at simplebus0 rev 5.0
omgpio0 at simplebus0: rev 0.1
gpio0 at omgpio0: 32 pins
omgpio1 at simplebus0: rev 0.1
gpio1 at omgpio1: 32 pins
omgpio2 at simplebus0: rev 0.1
gpio2 at omgpio2: 32 pins
omgpio3 at simplebus0: rev 0.1
gpio3 at omgpio3: 32 pins
com0 at simplebus0: ti16750, 64 byte fifo
com0: console
tiiic0 at simplebus0 rev 0.11
iic0 at tiiic0
"ti,tps65217" at iic0 addr 0x24 not configured
"atmel,24c256" at iic0 addr 0x50 not configured
nxphdmi0 at iic0 addr 0x70: rev 0x0301
tiiic1 at simplebus0 rev 0.11
iic1 at tiiic1
"atmel,24c256" at iic1 addr 0x54 not configured
"atmel,24c256" at iic1 addr 0x55 not configured
"atmel,24c256" at iic1 addr 0x56 not configured
"atmel,24c256" at iic1 addr 0x57 not configured
ommmc0 at simplebus0
sdmmc0 at ommmc0: 4-bit, sd high-speed, mmc high-speed
ommmc1 at simplebus0
sdmmc1 at ommmc1: 1-bit
omdog0 at simplebus0 rev 0.1
cpsw0 at simplebus0: version 1.12 (0), address 50:72:24:b7:08:ba
cpsw0: no PHY is alive
no PHY found!
amdisplay0 at simplebus0
no data for est. mode 832x768x74
no data for est. mode 640x480x67
no data for est. mode 720x400x70
max_dotclock according to supported modes: 147140
amdisplay0: 1680x1050x60 :: 147140 KHz pclk
wsdisplay0 at amdisplay0 mux 1
wsdisplay0: screen 0 added (std, vt100 emulation)
scsibus0 at sdmmc0: 2 targets, initiator 0
sd0 at scsibus0 targ 1 lun 0: <SD/MMC, SD32G, 0030> SCSI2 0/direct removable
sd0: 29664MB, 512 bytes/sector, 60751872 sectors
scsibus1 at sdmmc1: 2 targets, initiator 0
sd1 at scsibus1 targ 1 lun 0: <SD/MMC, MMC04G, 0000> SCSI2 0/direct
removable
sd1: 3744MB, 512 bytes/sector, 7667712 sectors
vscsi0 at root
scsibus2 at vscsi0: 256 targets
softraid0 at root
scsibus3 at softraid0: 256 targets
bootfile: sd0a:/bsd
boot device: sd0
root on sd0a (158c0f9a640ae39d.a) swap on sd0b dump on sd0b
WARNING: CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
cpsw0: no PHY is alive
cpsw0: no PHY is alive
cpsw0: no PHY is alive

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Beagle Bone Black - Display

Ian Sutton-2
On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 6:46 PM Guillaume Simon
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've recently seen there is now a display driver for BBB, but after
> having installed OpenBSD 6.4 on my BBB, I don't succeed to make it work.
>
> I plugged the screen before booting (as written in amdisplay's man
> page), but it remains black on boot.

amdisplay(4) does not yet attach the system console, however, I am
going to revisit this and see what it would involve to do that. I'll
ping this thread back in a few days with my results.

You should know that because the USB host controller is not supported
on the BBB (it is some non EHCI compliant OTG thing) amdisplay(4) is a
bit useless since you cannot attach a keyboard/mouse, and without
those, Xenocara will not easily start due to the lack of a input
device.

> amdisplay/nxphdmi drivers don't appear in the "supported hardware"
> sections of armv7 docs :
>
> Are they not stable enough to be listed ?
>
> Or are they supposed to work flawlessly ? (In this case, I would be very
> happy if someone gives me some pointers to make my display work)

amdisplay(4) is stable and working. With e.g. a remote X session you
can use amdisplay. I use x2x for this purpose:

https://ce.gl/hooraydisplay.png

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Beagle Bone Black - Display

Stuart Henderson
On 2018/11/16 03:01, Ian Sutton wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 6:46 PM Guillaume Simon
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I've recently seen there is now a display driver for BBB, but after
> > having installed OpenBSD 6.4 on my BBB, I don't succeed to make it work.
> >
> > I plugged the screen before booting (as written in amdisplay's man
> > page), but it remains black on boot.
>
> amdisplay(4) does not yet attach the system console, however, I am
> going to revisit this and see what it would involve to do that. I'll
> ping this thread back in a few days with my results.
>
> You should know that because the USB host controller is not supported
> on the BBB (it is some non EHCI compliant OTG thing) amdisplay(4) is a
> bit useless since you cannot attach a keyboard/mouse, and without
> those, Xenocara will not easily start due to the lack of a input
> device.

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=149563712516455&w=2


> > amdisplay/nxphdmi drivers don't appear in the "supported hardware"
> > sections of armv7 docs :
> >
> > Are they not stable enough to be listed ?
> >
> > Or are they supposed to work flawlessly ? (In this case, I would be very
> > happy if someone gives me some pointers to make my display work)
>
> amdisplay(4) is stable and working. With e.g. a remote X session you
> can use amdisplay. I use x2x for this purpose:
>
> https://ce.gl/hooraydisplay.png
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Beagle Bone Black - Display

Guillaume Simon - Mailoo
On 11/16/18 10:38 AM, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2018/11/16 03:01, Ian Sutton wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 6:46 PM Guillaume Simon
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I've recently seen there is now a display driver for BBB, but after
>>> having installed OpenBSD 6.4 on my BBB, I don't succeed to make it work.
>>>
>>> I plugged the screen before booting (as written in amdisplay's man
>>> page), but it remains black on boot.
>> amdisplay(4) does not yet attach the system console, however, I am
>> going to revisit this and see what it would involve to do that. I'll
>> ping this thread back in a few days with my results.
>>
>> You should know that because the USB host controller is not supported
>> on the BBB (it is some non EHCI compliant OTG thing) amdisplay(4) is a
>> bit useless since you cannot attach a keyboard/mouse, and without
>> those, Xenocara will not easily start due to the lack of a input
>> device.
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=149563712516455&w=2
>
>>> amdisplay/nxphdmi drivers don't appear in the "supported hardware"
>>> sections of armv7 docs :
>>>
>>> Are they not stable enough to be listed ?
>>>
>>> Or are they supposed to work flawlessly ? (In this case, I would be very
>>> happy if someone gives me some pointers to make my display work)
>> amdisplay(4) is stable and working. With e.g. a remote X session you
>> can use amdisplay. I use x2x for this purpose:
>>
>> https://ce.gl/hooraydisplay.png

Great news !

Many thanks for these explanations and ideas.

I'll do a lot more testing... :)