BarCode

Roy Morris-4
Anyone know any barcode scan ports for openbsd? ..

Re: BarCode

Gordon Grieder
On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 09:17:17AM -0400, Roy Morris wrote:
> Anyone know any barcode scan ports for openbsd? ..

In ~2001 I setup a system for a customer which used a bar code scanner
which has a box that was sandwiched between the keyboard and computer's
keyboard port.

A barcode which was scanned was then 'typed' into the system from the
scanner's keyboard emulator. No extra software required.

 Gord

Re: BarCode

D. Adam Karim
I have used a barcode numerous times. Same setup. The scanner just
outputs text/numbers. I remember that there were a few python scripts
out there that I used in order to query imdb and create xml files out
of that but I can no longer remember the name. Should be easy enough
to write though.

D. Adam Karim

Re: BarCode

Roy Morris-4
D. Adam Karim wrote:
> I have used a barcode numerous times. Same setup. The scanner just
> outputs text/numbers. I remember that there were a few python scripts
> out there that I used in order to query imdb and create xml files out
> of that but I can no longer remember the name. Should be easy enough
> to write though.

Ok cool, sounds like this is going to be the way it goes. I will see if
I can dig up an old scanner with a keyboard 'shim' and find some perl
code to pipe it into to query the movie database.

Thanks!
rm

Re: BarCode

Gordon Grieder
On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 11:41:08AM -0400, Roy Morris wrote:

> D. Adam Karim wrote:
> > I have used a barcode numerous times. Same setup. The scanner just
> > outputs text/numbers. I remember that there were a few python scripts
> > out there that I used in order to query imdb and create xml files out
> > of that but I can no longer remember the name. Should be easy enough
> > to write though.
> >
> Ok cool, sounds like this is going to be the way it goes. I will see if
> I can dig up an old scanner with a keyboard 'shim' and find some perl
> code to pipe it into to query the movie database.

I'll contact the person at that place and ask for the info on the units
we set up. My memory ain't what it used to be. ;)

Keep in mind that this was ~5 years ago and they were pen-type contact
readers, the tech has certainly improved since then. So long as you're
able to use a barcode->keyboard style interface you should be good to
go

Re: BarCode

Aleksander Piotrowski
Roy Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone know any barcode scan ports for openbsd? ..

Something like this?

print/py-reportlab/plugins/barcode

Alek