Banana Pi R2

Per Gunnarsson
Hello!

I saw the section "PF - Building a router" on your web page and thought
that would be an interesting hobby project. Now I wonder if it's
possible to install OpenBSD on a Banana Pi R2. In case it's not possible
(or simply too advanced for me) I would appreciate alternative hardware
suggestions.

Regards,

Per Gunnarsson

Re: Banana Pi R2

Mark Kettenis
That hardware is not supported by OpenBSD.

Re: Banana Pi R2

On 2020/05/19 16:43, Per Gunnarsson wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I saw the section "PF - Building a router" on your web page and thought
> that would be an interesting hobby project. Now I wonder if it's
> possible to install OpenBSD on a Banana Pi R2. In case it's not possible
> (or simply too advanced for me) I would appreciate alternative hardware
> suggestions.
>
> Regards,
>
> Per Gunnarsson

OpenBSD doesn't run on any boards using that MediaTek SoC. Also there are
only really 2 NICs, the others are connected to a switch chip using vlans
to break out the ports, OpenBSD doesn't have infrastructure to control
those (let alone a driver for the specific switch chip they use).

If you are looking for small non-x86 and need a couple of NICs and want
something already working then maybe https://www.openbsd.org/octeon.html
are worth a look .. on the ARM64 side there are macchiatobin boards but
they aren't anywhere near cheap.

Re: Banana Pi R2

Mark Kettenis
> Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 16:36:48 +0100
> From: Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>
>
> On 2020/05/19 16:43, Per Gunnarsson wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I saw the section "PF - Building a router" on your web page and thought
> > that would be an interesting hobby project. Now I wonder if it's
> > possible to install OpenBSD on a Banana Pi R2. In case it's not possible
> > (or simply too advanced for me) I would appreciate alternative hardware
> > suggestions.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Per Gunnarsson
> >

> OpenBSD doesn't run on any boards using that MediaTek SoC. Also there are
> only really 2 NICs, the others are connected to a switch chip using vlans
> to break out the ports, OpenBSD doesn't have infrastructure to control
> those (let alone a driver for the specific switch chip they use).
>
> If you are looking for small non-x86 and need a couple of NICs and want
> something already working then maybe https://www.openbsd.org/octeon.html
> are worth a look .. on the ARM64 side there are macchiatobin boards but
> they aren't anywhere near cheap.

And the network ports on those are unsupported.

Re: Banana Pi R2

Mark Kettenis
> Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 17:46:23 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Mark Kettenis <[hidden email]>
>
> > Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 16:36:48 +0100
> > From: Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>
> >
> > On 2020/05/19 16:43, Per Gunnarsson wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I saw the section "PF - Building a router" on your web page and thought
> > > that would be an interesting hobby project. Now I wonder if it's
> > > possible to install OpenBSD on a Banana Pi R2. In case it's not possible
> > > (or simply too advanced for me) I would appreciate alternative hardware
> > > suggestions.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Per Gunnarsson
> > >

> > OpenBSD doesn't run on any boards using that MediaTek SoC. Also there are
> > only really 2 NICs, the others are connected to a switch chip using vlans
> > to break out the ports, OpenBSD doesn't have infrastructure to control
> > those (let alone a driver for the specific switch chip they use).
> >
> > If you are looking for small non-x86 and need a couple of NICs and want
> > something already working then maybe https://www.openbsd.org/octeon.html
> > are worth a look .. on the ARM64 side there are macchiatobin boards but
> > they aren't anywhere near cheap.
>
> And the network ports on those are unsupported.

On the macchiatobin I mean

Re: Banana Pi R2

Daniel Bolgheroni-11
On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 04:43:54PM +0200, Per Gunnarsson wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I saw the section "PF - Building a router" on your web page and thought
> that would be an interesting hobby project. Now I wonder if it's
> possible to install OpenBSD on a Banana Pi R2. In case it's not possible
> (or simply too advanced for me) I would appreciate alternative hardware
> suggestions.

If 2 lan's are enough, OpenBSD/armv7 runs fine on the Orange Pi R1, being one
dwxe(4) and one ure(4).

db

Re: Banana Pi R2

Per Gunnarsson
Tanks for the input!

When I think about it, it's möte important for me to have one  functioning wireless card than several connectors for cable.  I will only sur it at home. Probably I'll go for the Orange Pi or the Raspberry Pi mentioned in a related thread.

Regards,

Per Gunnarsson .